Oz Spouse Visa

Was thinking of popping over before New Year to spend a week with the family.......and then the plans came crashing down - NEED TO APPLY for VISA for Mrs.

Never been an issue getting it, but it kinda takes the thrill out of last minute " lets go some where".

The spouse visa - can it be used for regular trips ? ( i.e. once or twice a year ). Would be good to have if we ever plan to settle in Oz ( which i doubt - but u never know what the future holds ).

We do plan in 18 months to maybe spend a few months in Oz, and the rest in Thailand every year, so having a permanent visa would be of value.

Any expertise with TV-ers regarding this, let me know.

Thx.

Once approved and issued, the first 2 years of the Spouse Visa is kinda temporary, (309 type) but the advantage is you can come and go as often as you wish.

There are some questions as to what the Spouse may need to do to come back to Australia after say a long visit back to Thailand during this time. Some have reported that a trip away from Aust for more than a couple of months 'may' require another Thai police check, or even another Medical, but there doesn't seem to be anything conclusive about this.

The rules even say that Immigration must be always informed of the applicants' address during processing, but when I called them a month or so ago to advise them that Mrs & I would be going back to Thailand for 2-3 months and offered a contact address, they didn't really want to know.

Some have reported that this address notification is mainly important around the time that the 309 Visa is about to be converted to PR.

Was thinking of popping over before New Year to spend a week with the family.......and then the plans came crashing down - NEED TO APPLY for VISA for Mrs.

Never been an issue getting it, but it kinda takes the thrill out of last minute " lets go some where".

The spouse visa - can it be used for regular trips ? ( i.e. once or twice a year ). Would be good to have if we ever plan to settle in Oz ( which i doubt - but u never know what the future holds ).

We do plan in 18 months to maybe spend a few months in Oz, and the rest in Thailand every year, so having a permanent visa would be of value.

Any expertise with TV-ers regarding this, let me know.

Thx.

Hi skippybangkok,

Just a few things you might want to be aware of.

When a person is granted permanent residence, such as a spouse visa, the permanent visa gives them permission to live in Australia indefinitely. However, the permission that a permanent residence visa gives to the holder to travel and enter Australia is limited to a number of years (usually 5 years) from the date of the visa grant. This permission to re-enter Australia on a visa is sometimes known as a 're-entry facility' or a 'return facility'. Once the re-entry facility expires, the visa holder needs to obtain a Resident Return visa in order to travel and enter Australia.

To remain eligible for a resident return visa, permanent residents must usually spend time in Australia and/or maintain substantial ties with Australia. Otherwise, it is possible to lose Australian permanent resident status.

Regards

bridge

• 3 years later...

LOL

i am running in circles......... re-visiting this again. When filling in the app form, it asks for an address in Oz. We have no plan to live in Oz for the next 5 years or so. I would like some kind of visa in advance which has some permanency. Again, the 50k baht is not a hindrance (everyone hates to spend money, but it would be worth it to me if we had something permanent )

any idea's if spouse visa is ok like this?

You actually don't need to live in aus while waiting for permanent residency. Strange as it sounds but it's there in b&w on their website. You will still need to meet the criteria for an ongoing marriage when supplying the info when they request it after 2 years. However once you have residency you'll need to apply for a residents return visa if you leave. This is for 5 years. But you won't be given a second one unless you've spent the majority of time in aus. The exact time spent offshore is available on the immi website. There's really not much to gain if you have no intention of living in aus.

You actually don't need to live in aus while waiting for permanent residency. Strange as it sounds but it's there in b&w on their website. You will still need to meet the criteria for an ongoing marriage when supplying the info when they request it after 2 years. However once you have residency you'll need to apply for a residents return visa if you leave. This is for 5 years. But you won't be given a second one unless you've spent the majority of time in aus. The exact time spent offshore is available on the immi website. There's really not much to gain if you have no intention of living in aus.

You only need to apply for an RRV after the initial 5 year period after PR grant has expired.

Thanks. It seems like if your an expat who cant return simply cause of your work, you are punished.... Such is life

Not exactly right.

You can apply for a spouse visa for your wife and as advised, if approved it will give her PR. After 5 years,

will need to apply for another RRV. If you're away from Australia purely for work and have ties to Australia

and intend to return one day, a renewal of your wife's RRV is possible.

It sounds as if you have left Australia for good and only want the spouse visa for the odd yearly visit.

It's not what the spouse visa is intended for but it's still a possibility.

Regards

Will

Thanks.... That cheers me up... I think when we retire in 5 , maybe 10 yrs from now ... We will most likely spend 1/2 a yr in oz and half in Thailand. If pure holidays, would not apply. I also don't like the idea if something happens to this lovely country and we all need to high tail it our of here , she will be stuck here more than likely