Long Term Cell Phone Storage

mbkudu

Does anybody know if it is correct to remove the sim card from a cell phone if it is to be stored for a long period of time? If so, how should I store the card, wrapped in plastic, ect......?

I wouldn't worry about the SIM at all. Put it wherever is convenient... worst case besides losing it is probably that you need to clean the contacts a little bit when you want to use it next if it was stored somewhere that promotes corrosion. I've never had a problem even in seaside conditions... but do try to keep it away from water, fire, hungry animals or toddlers, high voltage power sources, microwave ovens, etc. :o

However, I would try to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for storage of the battery! For mine, I think it is suggested to store it discharged in a cool, dry place. May or may not be worth removing the battery from the phone, depending on whether an "exploded" or leaking battery would be worth replacing or whether you would just go for a whole new phone anyway.

Does anybody know if it is correct to remove the sim card from a cell phone if it is to be stored for a long period of time? If so, how should I store the card, wrapped in plastic, ect......?

I had an AIS sim which I had stored in plastic for a few months and the terminals were coroded when I came to use it again, and it's difficult to get it working sometimes. I also have a sim from Australia that I have had sitting in a drawer for nearly a year, and it's as good as new. So I would think the quality of the sim would have something to do with it.

The best thing for terminals is to have a charge continuously running through them, however if this isn't possible, then as little contact with the air is best, try an airtight food container in a cool, dry, dark place.