The End Is Near - Prices Are Falling!

satiariyan

First surprise: Yesterday we got our usual weekly supply of drinking water (1x20 l + 24x1 l). It used to be 40 baht for years, but about 1/2 year ago the price rose to 46 baht (no surprise). However, Yesterday the price was down to 43 baht all of a sudden.

Second surprise: Today I went to my usual supplier of cd's with "free trialware". It has been 100 baht pr cd for years, but today it was 80 baht all of a sudden.

Is this the beginning of the end? - Profound deflation, civic wars and global warming disasters?

First surprise: Yesterday we got our usual weekly supply of drinking water (1x20 l + 24x1 l). It used to be 40 baht for years, but about 1/2 year ago the price rose to 46 baht (no surprise). However, Yesterday the price was down to 43 baht all of a sudden.

Second surprise: Today I went to my usual supplier of cd's with "free trialware". It has been 100 baht pr cd for years, but today it was 80 baht all of a sudden.

Is this the beginning of the end? - Profound deflation, civic wars and global warming disasters?

Well it seems to be a world trend,in the UK Witherspoons pub chain has just announced the 99p pint, or a pint and a burger for 1.99,.Still dont think ill move back though :o

you hadn't noticed petrol getting cheaper here in CM recently? i've lately been able to fill up my scooter for forty baht.

I used to pay 10 baht a trip for a sawngthaew. A while back it went up to 13 baht. Today it was back to 10!

I used to pay 10 baht a trip for a sawngthaew. A while back it went up to 13 baht. Today it was back to 10!

The reason, a couple of drivers told me was it was because they had to carry a lot of one baht coins as change, and the hassles dealing with 3 baht with customers was a pain, so many (not all) drivers simplified it for everyone. 'Just for awhile' of course :o

i noticed that a case of soda used to be about 108 baht,then 114 baht,now i noticed a box was 148 baht thats a big increase.

They know you drink it with whiskey,so they figured if you can afford the whiskey then you can pay some more for your soda to.

Mozzarella cheese went from 55B-75B-85B-95b-105..... now its 150B and that all took place in less than a year. Its not just cheese there are a lot of products that have gone up but have not come down with the exception of what the government regulates like cooking oil for example.

Mozzarella cheese went from 55B-75B-85B-95b-105..... now its 150B and that all took place in less than a year. Its not just cheese there are a lot of products that have gone up but have not come down with the exception of what the government regulates like cooking oil for example.

Because the price of cookingoil is more important to the Thai people then Mozzarella cheese wich no Thai will eat.

"How much is the official price for getting a red songteaw in Chiang Mai without any negociations? Anyone know?"

Short answer..B20...but best to chat with the driver first to clear up where he/she heading and where you wish to go.

Cheese prices went crazy last year.

Can anyone recommend a good source for 250g blocks (personal use)? Rimping is expensive now. Buonissimo is still good value. There's a dairy place along Huay Kaew Rd. nr CM Zoo that's supposed to be good. Has anyone experience with this place?

i noticed that a case of soda used to be about 108 baht,then 114 baht,now i noticed a box was 148 baht thats a big increase.

They know you drink it with whiskey,so they figured if you can afford the whiskey then you can pay some more for your soda to.

If that's the case then I'd pick better soda than the vile Singh or Chang soda stuff.

"How much is the official price for getting a red songteaw in Chiang Mai without any negociations? Anyone know?"

Short answer..B20...but best to chat with the driver first to clear up where he/she heading and where you wish to go.

20 baht is what the drivers try to get, but I remember that they were not allowed to raise the official price fron 15 baht when gas was at a all time high. I was really wondering if it went back down to 10 baht.

Perhaps the OP is just encountering the regular price, instead of a farang price, for the first time ?

I only pay 15B, delivered to-the-door, for a big bottle of water, but recall being charged 30B when we arrived here several years ago ! And night-bazaar DVDs are usually 80B, in our experience, unless anyone tells me different ? :o

Cheese prices went crazy last year.

Can anyone recommend a good source for 250g blocks (personal use)? Rimping is expensive now. Buonissimo is still good value. There's a dairy place along Huay Kaew Rd. nr CM Zoo that's supposed to be good. Has anyone experience with this place?

That place across from the Zoo used to be good but I have not been there recently. You might also check the Northern Food Products (name NFP ?) store on Huay Kaew, a friend has told me their parmesan cheese prices are good.

Think the gas prcies are based on futures prices. A sneeze in the middle east, and the rest of the world catches a cold.

One thing we really really dont need is another petrol price hike.

Unless of course the yanks can 'secure' the middle east in one go, and whoopie! cheap gas forever!!!

it aint gonna happen.

Cant believe the gas price wont rise again, after all Iran will have nucleur reactors going by mid 2009 thanks to the russians.

ho hum.

Personally i think prices are low on goods because people need to shift stock. But it cant go on forever.

I want a t-shirt "fuc_k the baht"

Well, the Foremost milk I used to pay 55 B or so for a couple yrs ago was up to about 68 B by 12/07 and now it's frikking 84 B per container!! Taking the Farang to the cleaners unless the cows have cut back their supplies. And me thinks not. Btw, lat week Tesco had the milk marked down with their red slash pricetags: From 84.25 --> 84 Baht only Wow ! Why bother ?!

Perhaps the OP is just encountering the regular price, instead of a farang price, for the first time ?

I only pay 15B, delivered to-the-door, for a big bottle of water, but recall being charged 30B when we arrived here several years ago ! And night-bazaar DVDs are usually 80B, in our experience, unless anyone tells me different ? :D

Prompted by this thread, I took our empty 20litre-bottles into Mae-Jo, and paid only 10B each for replacements. :D

Now what shall I do, with all the future-savings ? :o

now, now milton

no knocking the opposition and no advertising.

:o

In the Wetherspoons I worked in the contents from all the slop trays, regardless of what beer it was were collected at the end of the night and were fed back into the 99p real ale at the end of the night. Turnover in those pubs is high so usually by the next night that barrel was finished. It was an amalgam of various lagers, bitters and even Guinness. The customers of the 99p beer option were not the most discerning of clientele and rarely complained. :D

A bit of recent research at the dairy place across from the zoo. They have two kinds of cheese: Mozarella and Gouda. Both are well below retail price, and are delivered there each day. The dairy is under the auspices of the Royal Projects, so the quality is good. Also check out the complex about 50 meters to the right. They have Royal Project fruits and veggies, as well as a beautiful gift shop...very high quality. The restaurant on the second floor is lovely as well.

now, now milton

:o

In the Wetherspoons I worked in the contents from all the slop trays, regardless of what beer it was were collected at the end of the night and were fed back into the 99p real ale at the end of the night. Turnover in those pubs is high so usually by the next night that barrel was finished. It was an amalgam of various lagers, bitters and even Guinness. The customers of the 99p beer option were not the most discerning of clientele and rarely complained. :D

Consumed by real conasewers ! :D

now, now milton

:D

Consumed by real conasewers ! :D

I was always told that you never buy beer on tap at the pub, its only rented....re-cycled quickly thru your system, then the urinal where it is filtered back to the kegs... :D:o Dirty stuff beer!

A bit of recent research at the dairy place across from the zoo. They have two kinds of cheese: Mozarella and Gouda. Both are well below retail price, and are delivered there each day. The dairy is under the auspices of the Royal Projects, so the quality is good. Also check out the complex about 50 meters to the right. They have Royal Project fruits and veggies, as well as a beautiful gift shop...very high quality. The restaurant on the second floor is lovely as well.

I have passed that area by bicycle many times coming down from the mountain but have never noticed a sign where this diary place is located. Can you provide some clues on where it is exactly.

Thanks

Well, the Foremost milk I used to pay 55 B or so for a couple yrs ago was up to about 68 B by 12/07 and now it's frikking 84 B per container!! Taking the Farang to the cleaners unless the cows have cut back their supplies. And me thinks not. Btw, lat week Tesco had the milk marked down with their red slash pricetags: From 84.25 --> 84 Baht only Wow ! Why bother ?!

Your right, the dairy mafia is out of control here. I like cheese as much

as the next guy, I am not a conersewer of cheese I like packaged cheese.

Kraft or a local brand I forget the name, silver and blue pack. 16 slice

to a 1 lb package Lotus. In 6 months Kraft (imported) went from B175 to B250

the local guys followed from B160 to B245. At first I say it is cost of transport

because of petrol price. The buggers have gone up B30 in the last month while petrol has gone down. <deleted>.

I stop buying cheese, I can live without !! I hope they eat a ton of their own cheese and die of clogged arteries. Shelf items with an expire date are vulnerable to consumer demand. Just stop buying for awhile and watch the price drop!!

Since farang appear to be the only market for cheese, not a favorite of Thais,

We are subject to "FAT" Farang Added Tax", Screw Em stop buying !! Rant over :o

Sawatdee Kup :D