Pictures From Patong and Ko Si Re

RDN

The clean up is well underway in Patong. Bulldozers are piling up the debris and loading it into trucks, workmen are clearing the streets, but the stench of rotten food and broken sewers is strong in some places.

Strangely, some bars in Bang La road quite near the sea are open for business - not quite "as usual", but they are definitely open.

(Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture)

dscn59333qr.th.jpg

dscn59435nm.th.jpg

dscn59450yy.th.jpg

dscn59627uy.th.jpg

dscn59738mk.th.jpg

dscn59860df.th.jpg

Edited by RDN

Patong is definately back in party mode. Taipan and Tiger were full to the brim last night and more places are opening up tonight.

I think people will be surprised how quick Phuket will be back to normal.

The amount of Expats as well as the Thais that are helping here is brilliant.

Keen to hear your feedback!

Jan 30 will be my first trip to Phuket staying at the Arcadia at Karon. I am really looking forward to getting to Thailand and especially the stay there. I am concerned however about the situation and more to the point are tourists in the way when so many lives are lost. Does Thailand need some healing time? I fully apreciate the situation especially the economic loss to businesses in the short term with tourists staying away so I would be interested in thoughts from all about what is best for Phuket. As stated I am very keen to come over and do not want to rely on a hotel to tell me to come over.

Kindest regards

Keen to hear your feedback!

Jan 30 will be my first trip to Phuket staying at the Arcadia at Karon.  I am really looking forward to getting to Thailand and especially the stay there.  I am concerned however about the situation and more to the point are tourists in the way when so many lives are lost.  Does Thailand need some healing time? I fully apreciate the situation especially the economic loss to businesses in the short term with tourists staying away so I would be interested in thoughts from all about what is best for Phuket.  As stated I am very keen to come over and do not want to rely on a hotel to tell me to come over.

Kindest regards

Please Come over and support the locals. They need all the help they can get. It may not be fully what it used to be but if i know the thais they will work hard to make your stay a pleasant one.

Couldn't agree more DK.

Absolutely - and by the time you arrive, I'm sure things will be 80% to 90% back to normal and the beaches will be cleaned up.

I can agree with that, let's encurage people to go ahead with their planned holiday in Phuket, they will get it up and running pretty fast, and that's one way of helping those who lost everything.

Update 30th December 2004:

Today I went to the southern end of Patong beach and worked my way up to the centre. There was a lot of visible damage at the south end, worse than that at the centre, with many wrecked cars and trucks, and not much progress in clearing up the debris. I think the main effort is being made in getting the centre clear first. Several broken fishing boats were near or in the road. Nearer the centre, there were large trucks being filled with debris by even larger bulldozers and diggers. The smell near the centre was very bad and I decided not to go through to the north side, so I couldn't assess what improvements had been made there.

(Click on the thumbnail for a bigger picture)

dscn60299ca.th.jpg

dscn60393wv.th.jpg

dscn60462uh.th.jpg

dscn60498zq.th.jpg

dscn60551im.th.jpg

dscn60763uc.th.jpg

dscn60819ls.th.jpg

Edited by RDN

Today - New Year's Eve - I went to Ko Si Re (Si Re island), on Phuket's eastern coast. There is a small restaurant on the eastern side called "Gypsy Kitchen" and I wanted to make sure it was OK. Thankfully it was still there, a little damaged, but open for business and still serving delicious steamed fish with garlic, chilli and lime.

But on the way as I crossed the bridge over to Ko Si Re, there was an incredible sight. It looked as if all the boats were washed towards the massive bridge and were jammed underneath it or piled up against other boats.

dscn61509vu.th.jpg

dscn61518vm.th.jpg

dscn61528vu.th.jpg

dscn61586pa.th.jpg

dscn61687gf.th.jpg

dscn61702fx.th.jpg

dscn61819pl.th.jpg

By all means come, Phuket needs to let the world know that it is ok . Not sure about swiming just yet but the inland tours and shops need your business.

If you want to help find someone small shops in kamala or Patong and offer to buy something, anything if they have it.

Laguana, karon, Chalaong had very little if any damage.

Jan 2-15th is usually slow after the xmas rush so will be a great time to come

• 3 weeks later...

Pictures from Khao Lak 22 January 2005.

The damage here was far worse than what I saw in Phuket. It is difficult to conceive of how much water must have rushed up the beach on the 26th December - some of these buildings were 200 yards from the sea, and yet the first and second floors were devastated, and even the roofs of some of them.

dscn67892jl.th.jpg dscn67908uf.th.jpg dscn67912ld.th.jpg dscn67924bo.th.jpg

dscn67932mk.th.jpg dscn67968ja.th.jpg dscn68000na.th.jpg

Guys,

can we stop with the destruction photos. That all happened 4 weeks ago. Let it go.

We want pics of how things are improving.

I for the first time went into the water here in kamala, NEVER have i seen the water so clear or the sand so clean.

BUT the beach still is the same as 3 weeks ago. The clean up has stopped BUT patong is busy cleaning up and rebuilding. My friend own Scuba cat next to Starbucks and they hope to be open the first week in FEB.

Lets get the news out Phuket is OPEN and needs business!!

Surin beach and Lam Singh are busy and the Thai's need you to visit so they can try and make the most of whats left of the high season.

did you see the 30 m police boat behind the volunter center?

over 400 meters form the sea ACROSS the road.

The fishing village out side Thaku pa was completley destroyed!!  Not one building within 300 meters of the sea was left undamaged

I think I saw it, but I can't remember - I was walking around in a bit of a daze, quite shocked at just how bad it was at Khao Lak. I don't want people to take this the wrong way, but in Phuket we were lucky. God bless the poor souls who died at Kamala, Patong, Kata and the all the other places, but Khao Lak was hit much much harder.

What my pictures do not convey, and what I tried hard to show but could not, was the height and distance of the buildings from the sea. I stood for a long time at the top of the beach looking down at the sea and then up at the buildings 200 or more yards away and trying to imagine the sheer volume of water that must have rushed up the beach. It must have been 30 or 40 feet high to have destroyed the upper storey and roofs of the buildings.

some of the pictures arn't opening for me RDN, only getting the hosting site.

Sorry, bronco, I just tried them all, and they all work for me :D . Sometimes you have to just try again.

Guys,

can we stop with the destruction photos.  That all happened 4 weeks ago.  Let it go.

We want pics of how things are improving.

I for the first time went into the water here in kamala, NEVER have i seen the water so clear or the sand so clean.

BUT the beach still is the same as 3 weeks ago.  The clean up has stopped BUT patong is busy cleaning up and rebuilding.  My friend own Scuba cat next to Starbucks and they hope to be open the first week in FEB.

Lets get the news out Phuket is OPEN and needs business!!

Surin beach and Lam Singh are busy and the Thai's need you to visit so they can try and make the most of whats left of the high season.

I totally agree that Phuket is open for business. Clearly some damage remains along the beach road and there's a lot of rebuilding going on, but the beach road is clear and open, and the beach itself is better than ever.

My pictures of Khao Lak were published to help people realise just how bad it was there - much worse than Phuket - and because, to be honest, it was a shock to me to see the place so destroyed. I'd only been there once or twice before and didn't really recognise it. And there were still tow trucks carrying crushed cars from the area. I thought that would have been finished weeks ago. I almost walked over the car in picture no. 5 because it was unrecognisable and half buried. Sorry if these pictures have offended anyone, but I think people know that the main tourist resorts are open and crying out for business, but Khao Lak needs our sympathy and support too. There were even makeshift signs hanging up there complaining that the new houses promised by the goverment have not been built - so all is not well with the people there. They need help.

But, on my trip to Khao Lak, I stopped at both Thai Muang and Khao Lak-Tham Ru National Park and withhout any doubt I can say they have THE best beaches I have ever seen. I will publish those pictures later, but the beaches are just miles and miles of white sand but NO PEOPLE. Thai Muang resort is there, and I saw some farang eating in restaurants, but none on the beach - maybe too hot for them :o .

Can anyone tell me the extent of damage to the Amari Hotel in Patong, along with injuries and casualties. Thank you RDN for info. and pictures.

Sorry: http://www.phukethoteltravel.com/amari_coral_beach.htm -

"As a consequence of the tsunami which struck parts of Asia on December 26, this hotel is closed until further notice."

Just back. Other than beach road in Patong and the near empty town in the daytime, you never know about the disaster.

The beach indeed is very blue and beautiful. Lots of construction activity on Beach Rd. Baskin Robbins, Banana Disco are already open. Starbucks is due to open next month.

The town is not getting handouts. They really need tourists now and you are greeted with open arms. This is a great place to get away for the weekend and it is not expensive.

Bagna Rd was quite busy last night. They had a concert and the street was blocked off. Ate at an all you can eat grill featuring pork chops, spare ribs, chicken, assorted sausages, baked potatoes, assorted salads, soups, bread and fruits. The spare ribs were VERY VERY good! Excellent value at 250 Baht

http://geocities.com/vikingggarden/bilde4.htm

The Viking Grill Garden, is on soi off Bangla road, called Bangla Square. I talk with the hostess there. A Filipino who used to be a musician for a club on Khao Lak and was sleeping when it happen. Lucky to be alive. She now is a hostess at this restaurant to have a job.

Stayed at Leelawadee http://www.phuket.com/leelawadee A 4 star hotel and the rate was only 1,500 Baht which included breakfast.

The flight to Phuket from Bangkok was only an hour. My ticket with Air Asia was 499 Baht one way http://www.airasia.com/general.php?p=pmain&l=en They advertised last week a promo of 299 baht one way!

Sorry to say I had to miss the flight Fri night for a business meeting. My wife Nui flew and I met her yesterday. Flew on “One Two Go” on Saturday for 1,350 Baht one way. http://www.onetwo-go.com

Nui rented a car from National Car rental and the fee was just 800 Baht per day. http://www.smtrentacar.com/home.htm

I will post pictures tomorrow. Go now if you are thinking of going to Phuket. You’ll be happy you did! More important the people in Phuket will be happy you did as well.

"That all happened 4 weeks ago. Let it go"

"you never know about the disaster"

"but the beaches are just miles and miles of white sand but NO PEOPLE"

Forgive me for saying so, but I find this collection of quotes to be Pollyanna-ish.

There were LOTS of people on or near the beaches recently - they got swept off and killed - hundreds of thousands of them across Asia.

A cataclysm of biblical proportions has happened, which is not going to be forgotten about just because 4 weeks has elapsed.

Tourists are not going to rush back , they will return - eventually - after a decent interval - after the thousands of unidentified bodies are returned to their loved ones. Perhaps even as long as it takes to put in place the warning system.

Right now the length of that interval is pure conjecture - but be prepared to witness a muted Chinese New Year in Phuket.

Some beaches are indeed pristine now - but it won't bring tourists back one nanosecond quicker.

There are so many holiday destinations now, from Caribbean to Corfu. I feel sorry for the Thais whose jobs are now in jeopardy on the Andaman coast.

It needs serious Government action, not just skilled PR - I hear that the paperwork required to apply for relief funds is mind-boggling.

"That all happened 4 weeks ago.  Let it go"

"you never know about the disaster"

"but the beaches are just miles and miles of white sand but NO PEOPLE"

Forgive me for saying so, but I find this collection of quotes to be Pollyanna-ish.

There were LOTS of people on or near the beaches recently - they got swept off and killed - hundreds of thousands of them across Asia.

A cataclysm of biblical proportions has happened, which is not going to be forgotten about just because 4 weeks has elapsed.

Tourists are not going to rush back , they will return - eventually - after a decent interval - after the thousands of unidentified bodies are returned to their loved ones. Perhaps even as long as it takes to put in place the warning system.

Right now the length of that interval  is pure conjecture - but be prepared to witness a muted Chinese New Year in Phuket.

Some beaches are indeed pristine now -  but it won't bring tourists back one nanosecond quicker.

There are so many holiday destinations now,  from Caribbean to Corfu.  I feel sorry for the Thais whose jobs are now in jeopardy on the Andaman coast. 

It needs serious Government action, not just skilled PR - I hear that the paperwork required  to apply for relief funds is mind-boggling.

I understand your point of view but what is your idea of a 'decent interval'? I've tried to spend my money equally between all the places I normally got to eat or drink since 'that' fateful day. Many of the staff have already been laid off and the ones that remain in employment seem to fall into two categories;

1 - Cheerful - as in happy to still have a job and customers.

2 - Grumpy - as in fearing for their future.

I believe that any tourists with some savvy will be mindful of the fact that their currency is badly needed by many businesses here right now and will also see behind the headlines and the end of their own noses and realise that they should come and enjoy a holiday here, volunteer, or both, but at least come over...

Edited by damnaam

These pictures are from the resorts near Khao Lak South Beach taken on 22 January 2005. The Merlin resort is currently closed, but the web site here ( http://www.khaolak-hotels.com/khaolakmerlin/ ) states they will be open on Tuesday 1st March 2005.

1. dscn67424jb.th.jpg 2. dscn67529ci.th.jpg 3. dscn67535dj.th.jpg 4. dscn67543bt.th.jpg

5. dscn67585sr.th.jpg 6. dscn67674kl.th.jpg 7. dscn67761bh.th.jpg 8. dscn67824ok.th.jpg

The beach (picture 1) is beautiful, but most of the buildings near the sea are wrecked.

Edited by RDN

hI ALL;

Well saturday was my first day that I ventured into the water here in kamala. Beautiful clear and the cleanest sand I have seen in years BUT looking at the ebach... Empty and still in a mess. The trees stand over 1 meter above where they were buried before the 26th. They will soon die.

Kamala also will die, The beach goes on fro miles yet if I saw 10 people it would be an exageration. Not one shop is open on the beach road and half are leveled in Thaksin's plan to rebuild.

I agree that Khao lak was destroyed but you can see the same damage today in kamala along the beach. No effort is being made to repair as the goverment wont allow people to rebuild.

Where as last month at 5 pm the beachs here were full of local thai's enjoying the sea and sand, not one thai in evidence. They will not return tp play and enjoy the beach for a long time. Even friends of mine have not ventured into the water. Can we expect the toursit to return just because we say it is ok?

I would love them to as given another month the people will be broke and still homeless BUT

Vactions=you go somewhere to enjoy yourselve, to feel good.

How can anyone drive down the beach road in Patong or kamala and not feel bad. Knowing that so many died or lost everything?

On another point WHY is Phuket not getting any help from the goverment?? Millions have been raised (even saw Michale Douglas pic with Thaksin) giving 10,000,000 bhat yet no one is getting anything to help them rebuild their lives.

Please lets raise awarness as to why their is nothing coming from bangkok to Phuket.

Also see Beach chairs re-appearing on the beach in patong regardless of the ban.

It will be a loing low season for sure.

Its not up to tourists to demonstrate any 'savvy'.

Their interest is to have a nice holiday. Perhaps they have donated to the tsunami appeals - they see that as their contribution - now they will go to Spain on holiday.

Its not their fault that Thaksin won't take that aid.

Honestly, I can't predict the length of the interval - longer than the repatriation of the bodies, and perhaps as long as it takes to implement the Warning System.

I attended a TAT presentation last week. They called it a 'Surat Thani' (instead of Tsunami).