Chiang Mai Hotels

BrianJohn

We are heading back to Chiang Mai for our third visit (hopefully) in May, stayed at at the Park Hotel during my first visit 2007 - service & staff fantastic, but a bit out of the old city & I had a motorbike accident returning one night :D .

Second time 2008 first at the Amora, nice place, but pricey and elevated above the street level a bit of a problem as I was still recovering from the bike accident in 2007, then after 3 days in Chiang Rai returning to Chiang Mai we stayed the Star Hotel - where we were really looked after by the staff :D , the place is a bit T&T (Tired & Tatty) now, but the location and access is terrific.

For our next visit we are looking for somewhere central that caters for the disabled – that bike accident damage is permanent. Creature comforts of air-con and at least a queen sized bed – I'm bigger than average – are mandatory or the holiday is not fun. Don't go in for all the 5 star frills I use the hotel room is mostly just for sleeping.

My limitations are 1, almost no stairs (lifts required) 2, a shower stall not one above the bath. 3, good space to be able to move about the room.

We are happy to return to the Star, but would like to try something new, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :o .

Regards BJ

Try the Montri Hotel. It is right by Thaphea Gate inside the moat.

Although the rooms are smallish, and the furniture rather plain and dated, it is very clean with good friendly service.

Ask for a room at the back on floors 5 or 6 -- they are quieter. There are a few rooms that are 1 1/2 times the size of the regular ones at the same price....when making a reservation request the larger room. I believe that there are king size beds in the rooms.

The bathrooms have a walk in shower separated by a shower curtain, so it meets your criteria there. There is an elevator. Restaurant and internet in lobby.

A second vote for the Montri Hotel (not to be confused with the Hollanda Montri Guesthouse). Located on the corner of Moon Muang Road and Ratchadamnoen Road and about a 15-minute walk from the Night Market, it has an elevator and rooms run 900 baht with a very good breakfast included. Bank of Ayudhaya ATM next to the main entrance. The Sunday Walking Street Market (one of my favorite markets in Thailand) takes place just outside. Rear rooms have a view of Doi Suthep, front rooms of Thapae Gate. As mentioned, the bathrooms are wet room style. Free in-room wifi.

A second vote for the Montri Hotel (not to be confused with the Hollanda Montri Guesthouse). Located on the corner of Moon Muang Road and Ratchadamnoen Road and about a 15-minute walk from the Night Market, it has an elevator and rooms run 900 baht with a very good breakfast included. Bank of Ayudhaya ATM next to the main entrance. The Sunday Walking Street Market (one of my favorite markets in Thailand) takes place just outside. Rear rooms have a view of Doi Suthep, front rooms of Thapae Gate. As mentioned, the bathrooms are wet room style. Free in-room wifi.

there was a major renovation going on at the Montri during the low season in 2008. do you know if they have as well refurbished the rooms ?

We are heading back to Chiang Mai for our third visit (hopefully) in May, stayed at at the Park Hotel during my first visit 2007 - service & staff fantastic, but a bit out of the old city & I had a motorbike accident returning one night :D .

Second time 2008 first at the Amora, nice place, but pricey and elevated above the street level a bit of a problem as I was still recovering from the bike accident in 2007, then after 3 days in Chiang Rai returning to Chiang Mai we stayed the Star Hotel - where we were really looked after by the staff :D , the place is a bit T&T (Tired & Tatty) now, but the location and access is terrific.

For our next visit we are looking for somewhere central that caters for the disabled – that bike accident damage is permanent. Creature comforts of air-con and at least a queen sized bed – I'm bigger than average – are mandatory or the holiday is not fun. Don't go in for all the 5 star frills I use the hotel room is mostly just for sleeping.

My limitations are 1, almost no stairs (lifts required) 2, a shower stall not one above the bath. 3, good space to be able to move about the room.

We are happy to return to the Star, but would like to try something new, any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated :o .

Regards BJ

Park hotel have a free shuttle minibus to the centre and Night plaza. They go every 30 minutes till 11 pm.

Last April I stayed in Park hotel, indeed a very good service and very friendly staff, we where 100% satisfied. good value for his price.

there was a major renovation going on at the Montri during the low season in 2008. do you know if they have as well refurbished the rooms ?

When I was there a couple of months ago, the renovations that were going on seemed to be mostly related to the restaurant and entrance way. I didn't notice anything being done to the rooms.

Hey Rampo, Thanx for taking the time to contribute, have you seen inside The Star of late, we were there Aug '08, their Delux room was a good size with an area similar to a sittingroom but are a bit tired, but the how would you rate the Montri Hotel room. BJ

Hey Rampo, Thanx for taking the time to contribute, have you seen inside The Star of late, we were there Aug '08, their Delux room was a good size with an area similar to a sittingroom but are a bit tired, but the how would you rate the Montri Hotel room. BJ

I'm really not familiar with The Star, but just by looking at its website I'd say the Montri rooms are smaller and perhaps a bit more dated than those of The Star.

I'm really not familiar with The Star, but just by looking at its website I'd say the Montri rooms are smaller and perhaps a bit more dated than those of The Star.

they are erecting a new highrise-builiding right next to the STAR (less than 10 meters away from it - probably another desperately needed new hotel, me thinks), which means, you can expect a lot of noise from the construction-site there for the next few months.....