Why Do Police Take Your License

....you just slip him a hundred, and he will hurry and send you on your way, i promise you he won't count the money in front of you to see how much it was, but he will focus on the amount you pull out the cash to pay him....

When I offered to pay the cop off (I won't go into details as I've already written about it elsewhere) he wouldn't take the money when I handed it to him through the window. He stood back and indicated for me to hold it inside the car, then he leant against the car and slipped his hand in to take it. Maybe there was a camera somewhere :o:D:D

When your DL has been confiscated, the ticket you receive in return serves as your DL until the original has been returned.  You are not forced to drive without a DL.

That would make sense, to a point, depending on the reason for their confiscation...

I was relieved of my license here about 15 years ago, for an illegal parking issue, and again about 5 years ago for a illegal turn, and I'd left my wallet at home.... I wasn't given any paper in return for my license on those occasions. It makes sense that there'd be a police policy to give some form of receipt, but has anyone else here given up their license as bond without a receipt?

Also more reason to have a 'throw-down' stuck on your visor.. :o

Crazy Dave, I hope if you knock me over you have a lot of cash because the hospital bill will not be cheap and your insurance (if you even have one) will not cover when you don't have a valid license.

be careful with what you wish for :o

also dont forget that most drivers in thailand flee the scene...

I wasn't hoping you'd knock me over, but that you have a lot of cash IF you do.

Assuming you're not Thai you will not get away with doing a runner. It's easy enough for Thais to "disappear", not so for a farang.

Anyway, it was not my point to get into an argument with you, just to point out that the most important reason to have a DL is to have your insurance cover if you cause an accident.

mad sere most thais do not have first class insurance, they will run u over and then drive off, i really cannot remember how many times i have seen this, but a dead thai costs 50,000baht, how much is a fARANG WORTH??

my main car i have first class insurance, its 20,000baht per year but i use it mainly cos of the theft, my truck i just have the government insurance and also the the same with my bikes, if i run someone over or witnessed someone run over would i stop?not a chance in h.ell...

the last time i saw someone run over, a truck run over 2 ppl on a bike i phoned a police friend of mine and gave him the number of the truck that fled the scene, he just said he werent interested.....

So because the Thai's do it it's ok for you to do as well? You're (supposedly) from a first world country where your upbringing and culture should have taught you to be more responsible than that.

Unlike the Thais fleeing you'll be found easy enough, and without a DL your insurance won't cover.

We all know the police is useless here. Maybe you should have called the victim's family instead?

Edited by madsere

Crazy Dave, I'm sure you're an excellent driver but ... accidents happen... that's why they're called accidents.

Insurance is so cheap to get here and a drivers license so easy to obtain that I really feel the cops should go out full force to catch those (farang or thai) without either and put them behind bars, confiscate their vehichles ... but I admit the Maprachan lake will probably freeze over before that happens.

Edited by madsere

In the end, it doesn't make sense to take away somebody's license as you said because that means you're forcing them to drive without one which is another no-no. It's just better to slip the guy 100 baht and move on. Often these "roadblocks" are just a way for them to collect some beer money. :o

Makes perfect sense if you are running a corrupt police force. Make it as difficult as possible to legally pay your fine and get your license back, thus the average punter will simply pay the fine.

I was thinking about this a while ago, wouldn't it be easier to pay your fine later at your convinence, perhaps online, or even a 7-11 with bill paying facilities? It would ensure that the Ministry of Finance gets the revenues it currently misses out on. It would also mean that the local corrupt plod gets nothing either.

The other thing to remember is that the people who are doing the taking by the roadside are rarely the ones who keep most of the cash. Most of it gets paid up the line to their superiors, in return for the promise of cushier jobs later down the track.

Edited by samran

The other thing to remember is that the people who are doing the taking by the roadside are rarely the ones who keep most of the cash. Most of it gets paid up the line to their superiors, in return for the promise of cushier jobs later down the track.

If the cops follow their proper procedure, they get bewtween 25-50% of the fines collected, depending on the station....

They don't pass on the money for promises of cushier jobs, they pass on the money to keep their jobs, and possibly not get a shittier assignment.... Lots of police assignments offer no real chance for enrichment... Like school crossing guard, for example. :o

Cushier jobs cost big bucks.. Reported amounts I've seen written about in the press include...

10-30 million baht for Station Commander

1-3 million for Inspector

100,000- 1 million for transfer to a grade A station...

50,000- 100,000 for transfer to a grade B station

.... wouldn't it be easier to pay your fine later at your convinence, perhaps online, or even a 7-11....

But if you did that, wouldn't they have to pay the cops more to do the job? What I mean is, isn't the "fines" rake-off accepted as part of their wages? Just like the money they get from street "bars" and food stalls that block the pavements?

• 1 month later...

I'd recommend making some photocopies of your license and keeping those with you. When the cop asks for your license just hand over one of the copies and it will prevent him from extorting you. If you really were in the wrong then hand over 100 and be on your way. I drive a japanese bike here in bkk and find that some areas are notorious for getting pulled over for no reason like Lumpini or on Phetkasem Road. I'm sure its like that elsewhere in the country. A thai license is nice to have as a form of I.D. but sometimes playing the dumb foreigner who just moved here works better.

Follow the advice about the drinking and driving above. One of my thai friends got caught and his girlfriend had to come down to the station and pay about 10,000 to get him out of it.

pay 100 and on your way, no need to make big fuss, either way they will win, and there is nothing we can do about it, try complain and you'll be in more trouble.

Couldn't have said it any better myself, short, sweet and to the point Chingy. This ain't Kansas anymore Toto, these are Roman laws and outlaws and when in Rome...............................

............Cushier jobs cost big bucks.. Reported amounts I've seen written about in the press include...

10-30 million baht for Station Commander

1-3 million for Inspector

100,000- 1 million for transfer to a grade A station...

50,000- 100,000 for transfer to a grade B station

It is not only the 'cushier' jobs that the inforcement officers want, it is a known fact (as per the all knowing Pattaya Mail) that the police will actually bid to get a posting within a given province just to have the opportunity to increase their 'tea money' coffers. Pattaya is known as one of the better and more sought after assignments.

Thus a good indication of the direction that the winds of corruption blow

According to a poll in The Post this Wednesday the "Most urgent problem" faced by the new government was ... Corruption (81.4%).

Now here's something that ought to shut those up who keep jumping around shouting if we don't like it go home ... obviously the Thai like it as little as us!

• 1 month later...
On the street, cops can legally fine you on the spot... I know they're supposed to give you a receipt, but that rarely happens, in my experience, except for some places with speed traps.

I'm reluctant to rejuvenate this argument, but I had some business to take care of at one of the Bangkok police districts this afternoon and took the chance to ask one of the captains there about this.

His answer was that, although the possibility of authorizing rank-and-file traffic cops to assess and receive fines and issue receipts on the spot has been discussed, such a system has NOT yet been put into place -- to the best of his knowledge -- anywhere in Thailand.

At this point, he said that the only way it could be done legally would be if there were an officer of captain rank or higher present on the scene -- as only they are allowed to assess and collect fines and sign receipts. This rank of officer, however, would almost never be assigned to a street position catching traffic offenders -- and the officer I spoke to said that he had never heard of it being done.

So, in the absence of further evidence, I'm going to continue in my belief that virtually any payment of "fines" on the spot rather than at the police station is not legit. Anyone else is free to believe what they want to believe. And, if anyone has any evidence to the contrary, I'd certainly welcome it.

At this point, he said that the only way it could be done legally would be if there were an officer of captain rank or higher present on the scene -- as only they are allowed to assess and collect fines and sign receipts.

I also believe this is the case PvtDick.

I recall hearing on the radio last week that unless it was an official road block with a commissioned officer present, it was in fact an "illegal" road block and on the spot finies by the police was also "illegal". The radio report also gave a phone number... 1197 from memory, to which you could call and report the "illegal" road block.

Any one hear of this report?

Yes, Aletta. Most people do. My point was that to do so is helping perpetuate the system of corruption in which Thailand is mired.

So many expats bitch and moan about how "corrupt" Thailand is, then happily participate in it when it is too their advantage -- just because they are too lazy to go down to the station and pay their fine legitimately.

just because they are too lazy to go down to the station and pay their fine legitimately

PvtDick,yes you've hit the nail on the head,i am a lazy old sod. :o

I love this place because it is so different from stuffy,well organised England.

Hi there

I'm not living in Thailand (not yet anyway) I love the place very much and try and get on vacation at least one time each year.

First time I went to Thailand was in 1990 (18 years old), i was amazed of how freindly everyone was - went to Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Ko samet.

In Chiang Mai I hired a motorbike/moped, I asked if I needed a license and I didn't which I liked. The same year I had been driving in England for about a year with Learner plates on a 125 cc motorcycle in wait to do my driving test so I felt confident driving even in Chiang mai on the left side of the road.

It was a lot of fun, and throughe the years I have returned to Thailand mayny times hired motorcycles and never had a license ( I only lived in Enland for one year, returned to Denmark my home country) with out doing my driving test.

Anyway last time I went to Thailand (2004) Phuket I was fined and stopped in one of the road blocks you talk about. The police officer asked for my license and I told him I was sorry but I didn't have one but I showed him some identification instead and he confiscated that. Told me to pick it up at the police station and there I would pay 300 bath in fine for driving with out a license.

What amazes me is that: I was allowed to continue driving after he confiscated my ID card. (I had a girlfreind on the back who speak Thai) It was no problem for the police officer to comunicate in English or in Thai but it seemed to NOT matter.

I went to the police station in the afternoon (on my motorcycle) wich i didn't have drivers license drive. I parked outside the police station. Paid my fine, got my Id card back and drove home again :-)

When I came back home to Denmark the first thing i did was taking a license so next time I come back to thailand I am driving leagally.

The police where actually very nice to.

/moses

Lots of police assignments offer no real chance for enrichment... Like school crossing guard, for example.

Ajarn ,apparently not according to the wife in this locality anyway.

I've always noticed how diligent the cops seem to be at the school crossings in the area and i mentioned it to the wife who said "mai tum free,dong jai".In our area all the crossing cops are paid by the schools to do a good job!!