Best Waterfalls In The South

Pakeha

I know of a couple of nice waterfalls in / around Trang but want to know of others.

What are the best waterfalls? The ones I go to are only really visited by thais so wonder if farangs don't know or don't bother because they prefer the beach?

If you don't want to mention your secret spots to all and sundry please PM me :o

Not in Trang but Namtok Krung Ching in NST is worth a visit. It is the one that was pictured on the old B1,000 notes. Bit of a hike to get there but once there, certainly worth it and the chances are you'll be the only person there.

What are the best waterfalls? The ones I go to are only really visited by thais so wonder if farangs don't know or don't bother because they prefer the beach?

I second Krung Ching, but don't consider 3.5km to be a particular trek to get there, though most of the last km is stepp steps that can get the knees and thighs complaining a bit. It's an impressive falls (lots of pictures on the net), has always been quiet when I've been, and has a nice wooden viewing platform in a good position.

Ton Gloy in Khao Sok National Park is nice, but mainly because it is a bit less accessible, so getting there certainly felt like a big achievement for me. It's about 7.5km, with most of that on narrow paths and a lot of the last km along no real path. Very quiet and natural though. It feels like the middle of nowhere.

Su Nan Tah at Khao Nan National Park in Nakhon Si Thammarat is a favourite for me, mostly because there's no fee for the park and it's half an hour from where I live. A nice, tall falls with a big rocky pool underneath, but only about 200m from the car park, so it does get busy.

I second Krung Ching

i so need to visit here some day... one of the places to see 'Buffy Fish Owl'

BuffyFishOwl(CA).jpg

Thank you south and Markwhite.

I will be putting these falls on my 'to visit' list.

We usually visit Sairung and Praisawan waterfalls in Yantakao because they are close to the family. Sometimes there's a fee but the park ranger guy usually happily lets me in as a thai! Lovely people in the south :o

Sometimes there's a fee but the park ranger guy usually happily lets me in as a thai! Lovely people in the south :o

That'll be the thing at Krung Ching - 200 baht unless you have a Thai driving licence.

And I forgot to mention Khao Luang National Park. Loads of waterfalls spread over a large area, and 400 baht entry price. I've only been to a couple that are smallish and nice-ish, but there's plenty of information on the net.

• 4 weeks later...

Easy access from Hat Yai: Ton Na Chang (elephant waterfall). Amazing, 7 steps and only went to the 4th one. Can get dangerous during raining season. Crowded on sundays as Thai Families go picnic there.

Other wise in Patthalung you can find 3 or 3 nice ones unknown except by locals living there.

Will ask the name and let you know.