Thai Poppy Fields Creeping Back

george

UN unfazed by slight upturn in opium output

The United Nations drug agency is confident illegal opium production in Thailand can be reduced despite a slight increase in cultivation last year.

But the agency warns high levels of poverty, a rapid rise in the price of raw opium and the absence of effective law enforcement mean there is always a high risk of a return to widespread opium poppy cultivation in Southeast Asia, which represents 15 per cent of global illicit cultivation.

Irrigated opium plot in northern Thailand. Photo by UN.

The Southeast Asia Opium Survey 2008, released on Monday by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) showed poppy cultivation in Thailand rose from 231 hectares (1,445 rai) in 2007 to 288 hectares last year.

Cultivation in Laos increased from 1,500 hectares to 1,600 hectares. In Burma it rose from 27,000 hectares to 28,500 hectares over the same period. Overall cultivation increased 3.3 per cent in the three countries.

UNODC representative Gary Lewis said the increase in Thailand was minimal compared to other areas.

"The increase could relate to the fact that the cultivated areas are very remote,'' he said. "Thailand has been successful in reducing cultivation and production by 80 per cent from past decades.''

Mr Lewis said it was difficult to tell if the upward trend would continue next year. He said the situation in Burma might fluctuate but the anti-drug effort could be described as "partially successful''.

"We need a long-term approach here,'' Mr Lewis said.

"From my experience in Pakistan, efforts to divert opium cultivation need sustainable international support for a substitution programme.''

The amount of effort and time Burma spent on dealing with its opium problem could not be compared with the situation in Thailand, he said.

"Thailand's success is due to more than 40 years of communicating to the poppy-cultivating communities and the royal-sponsored crop substitution projects implemented in various ethnic-living areas,'' he said.

Despite the increase in cultivation, Mr Lewis said there were some successes in the eradication of opium in the region.

Southeast Asia is still the world's second largest supplier of opium after Afghanistan, but the opium production share from this area has fallen from 50 per cent during the 1990s to 33 per cent a decade later.

-- Bangkok Post/Agencies 2009-02-03

It is about time that Thaksin return to declare War on Drug II.

Yeah, let's send the police, army and any other vested interests out to kill thousands of at best low level drug users, and at worst, totally innocent people including children.

Yeah, let's send the police, army and any other vested interests out to kill thousands of at best low level drug users, and at worst, totally innocent people including children.

As I understand it what you say is absolutely correct. However talk to Thais and they will tell you there was a marked decrease in the drug trade and its associated negative side effects. Needless to say things are back in full swing again these days. I suppose it is a matter of debate as to which was the lesser of two evils.

As I understand it what you say is absolutely correct. However talk to Thais and they will tell you there was a marked decrease in the drug trade and its associated negative side effects. Needless to say things are back in full swing again these days. I suppose it is a matter of debate as to which was the lesser of two evils.

Why not deploy the army to destroy the poppy fields? this would keep them gainfully employed, AND keep them well away from politics......

just a thought.

FF

If you or a family member is in harms way during the War On Drugs,

and you become acceptable collateral damage....

Is that acceptable to YOU?

Destroy the poppy fields, destroy the Yaba factories.

Go for it,

but giving the police quota's of busts to make per a time period,

is a direct route to hel_l for innocents.

And THAT was Thaksin's method police bust quota's,

Dead or Alive, get action.

Reprehensible!

If the war on drugs was such a success then why are things back in full swing again? The big fish lay low, and take the opportunity to get the little fish blown away, the police and army blast anything that moves, the big fish go back into business with less competition. As for your last sentence, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and take it you only said it for the sake of an argument. I can't believe that anyone would be so foolish to believe such a thing. What next? If we kill all the children then there's no way they can get hooked on drugs? It'd be for their own sakes, and the lessor of two evils.