Leaving The Uk With Cash

coventry

nothing to do with lady luck,you CAN bring in equiv of 20,000 usd.I did check before i bought the money in.

Different countries have different rules check where you are coming from UK and all of EU is €10k and u dont have to declare this, over this and you do, many a time i have just kept my mouth shut and walked thru, sweat dripping slowly down , hand tremors, toilet paper on standby etc etc etc :o:D

Tell the window licker of this fascist run regime to <deleted> off and mind his own business, it's nothing to do with him. They can't do anything to you for taking your money to spend on holiday. :o

John.....

How much more useful advice can one possibly ask for, not!

And which one of your replies were full of or had any advice?

John.....

I fail to see why people in the UK are told to declare sums in excess of 10,000 Euros when the UK's currency is Pounds. Surely one would have to check exchange rates prior to leaving and hope the exchange rate hasn't changed by the time you get to the airport.

I fail to see why people in the UK are told to declare sums in excess of 10,000 Euros when the UK's currency is Pounds. Surely one would have to check exchange rates prior to leaving and hope the exchange rate hasn't changed by the time you get to the airport.

Yep there is a sign up as you go thru saying "euros", bloody crazy if u ask me although now somewhat beneficial as the £ and € are closer to parity than they were recently so can take more ££££'s. The stupid thing is this, the rules say you dont have to declare it if u have OVER €10k euros IF u are going to Europe!!!!!!! Why you would be taking Euros to anywhere else other than Europe seems odd although im sure there are some scenarios, far easier for money launderers to take £'s as they then wouldnt have to change them first in the UK to Euros arising more suspicions etc . Its all a big con nosing into your business and nothing more!!

Better off seeing what allowances all MP's have . :o

Interesting question, maybe they know something we don't!!

:o:D

Tell the window licker of this fascist run regime to <deleted> off and mind his own business, it's nothing to do with him. They can't do anything to you for taking your money to spend on holiday. :o

John.....

And which one of your replies were full of or had any advice?

John.....

You're asking if I can provide alternative advice to <deleted> off? :D

John.....

Hear Hear, well said, tell them fu_ck all.

John.....

If I choose to carry my life savings around with me and that includes going on holiday, I'll be dammed if some jumped up little hitler on a power trip is going to tell me where I can take MY money that I've worked for, paid tax on, and will spend as I see fit.

So what would your advice be Chiang Mai?

John.....

If I choose to carry my life savings around with me and that includes going on holiday, I'll be dammed if some jumped up little hitler on a power trip is going to tell me where I can take MY money that I've worked for, paid tax on, and will spend as I see fit.

Sadly though they have the power to seize YOUR money unless you provide proof of where it came from.

quoted......"Also, some TC's are a hassle to exchange - some banks don't accept Thomas Cook etc etc...."

Being a victim of credit card fraud ( in '89) :o and identity theft (in '99). :D Now I carry travel check for most of my expenses in Thailand.

Bank of America never charge any commission when issuing me a travel check (this has to do with years of being their customer and the amount of money you have with them)..

I learn that when in LOS, go to Bangkok Bank, you get better rate and no charged for comission ( I'm talking about $100 bills travel check). Some banks like Asia Bank will charge from 1.5 % from $100 bill to 3% on $50, $20 bill.

Very safe and hassle free, works very well with me. :D

I live in Thailand and was in the UK last year for three months doing some work on a house I own and on departure brought back 10,000 pounds with me in two 5,000 pound stacks carried about my person and not a word was said.

Was it detected?

Mind you it was hot wearing a jacket when I arrived in the Middle East to change planes and again when I arrived in Thailand but wearing a jacket was the only means I had of hiding the bulge.

John.....

The idea of carrying my life savings around with me doesn't make sense hence I simply wouldn't do it in the first place, in fact, I seriously doubt that I would carry more than a few hundred Pounds at any one time. I suppose that if I wanted to take the risk of losing it and/or being set upon and potentially killed I might do otherwise but again, why should I.

As for being stopped by the UK Police and asked questions about where the money came from: if I really had no other choice but to carry a large sum I would also make sure I had some form of paperwork with me that substantiated where the money came from and/or why I was carrying so much - I certainly wouldn't be inclined to tell them to <deleted> off simply because that's counterproductive for everyone and risks me having the money confiscated until I had learned some manners.

[quote name=3. The most important - There is mass cloning and theft of credit cards/credit card details in Thailand. It is one country where it is probably "safer" to pay your bills in cash.

That aught to satisfy their narrow little minds :o

1. You get more baht to the pound if you buy them with Travellers Cheques!!

Yes I totally agree with you as far as credit cards.

I do use some travelers checks. While it is true you get a bit better rate, most people have to pay for their checks, negating the bit higher exchange. I get my checks for no cost at my bank as a benefit for my account so its a good exchange for me.

[quote name='Brigante7'

I'm not sure what powers the UK has, but the US can remove all your money if so inclined, and you have to prove in court where and how you recieved it. The max amount a citizen can carry is 10,000 dollars without a great fear of any problems. Check your info next time you fly. The Thai gov't also is very interested in the same amount.

This is done in the name of the war on drugs

John.....

The idea of carrying my life savings around with me doesn't make sense hence I simply wouldn't do it in the first place, in fact, I seriously doubt that I would carry more than a few hundred Pounds at any one time. I suppose that if I wanted to take the risk of losing it and/or being set upon and potentially killed I might do otherwise but again, why should I.

As for being stopped by the UK Police and asked questions about where the money came from: if I really had no other choice but to carry a large sum I would also make sure I had some form of paperwork with me that substantiated where the money came from and/or why I was carrying so much - I certainly wouldn't be inclined to tell them to <deleted> off simply because that's counterproductive for everyone and risks me having the money confiscated until I had learned some manners.

I wouldn't carry my life savings with me either, what I meant was for all they know I might be carrying my life savings with me and while we still live in a free(ish) country I don't have to explain myself to anybody, I pay tax & NI and so they can check up on me any time they want so why should I tell them anything, fuc_k em.

Tell the window licker of this fascist run regime to <deleted> off and mind his own business, it's nothing to do with him. They can't do anything to you for taking your money to spend on holiday. :D

John.....

I wouldn't carry my life savings with me either, what I meant was for all they know I might be carrying my life savings with me and while we still live in a free(ish) country I don't have to explain myself to anybody, I pay tax & NI and so they can check up on me any time they want so why should I tell them anything, fuc_k em.

Well I can guarantee you one thing, with that attitude you aint going to be getting on no plane. :o

The powers the Police have at designated airports in the UK is far more than the normal bobby on the beat, in relation to stop/search.

If you have a large amount of cash/look dodgy/have a bad attitude, you will be detained.......simple. :D

Re the OP, although 1000 GBP is not a lot of money, if this person is acting in a nervous manner and has a conviction or 2 (including drugs??), and is unable to satisfy the Police as to why he is carrying that amount of cash, then almost certainly he will be thoroughly searched and interviewed on his return to UK.

John.....

Sorry to disagree and I'm not trying to be argumentative but yes, you do have to tell them what they want to know - you have to do that if you want the law enforcement agencies to be able to do their job properly and help reduce and eliminate crime such as robbery, money laundering and the drugs trade. If you belong to a society that has its rules you need to abide by those rules and/or work to get them changed. Just telling people to <deleted> off accomplishes nothing positive, creates a lot of problems for the teller and receiver and wastes everybody's time. The idea that a person doesn't have to explain themselves to anyone is simply not correct or appropriate in this day and age, I think.

Edited by chiang mai