Tax clearance certificate

Stapled into my passport is the Arrival / Departure Card (TM6). Reading at the bottom of the card, I quote:

"Alien entering Thailand and having income or alien staying over ninety days in Thailand without income must possess a tax clearance certificate from the revenue department before leaving Thailand. If not, will not be permitted to leave."

I've never heard anyone mention this before, so can someone tell me if this rule enforced? As I read it, the rule seems to include just about anyone who stays here for more than 90 days. I work in Thailand (thus have an income) and for that matter receive rental income from my home country too. I have a work permit, visa, and job with government school.

What do you think? More importantly, what do you know?

Many thanks.

Thank you for the link Fester.

This is the bit I like:

"The tax certificate is, still after so many years, mentioned on your Arrival card (TM-card), but is not necessary anymore."

BUT... "tax clearance certificates are still necessary:

Foreigners who are liable for taxes due as assessed by the assessment official prior to or at the time of departing from Thailand."

With regard to the "but...", does anyone have experience of being stopped by the assessment official? Presumably this applies only to someone who owes the Thai tax office mega-bahts? Incidentally, I do not!

Thanks