Thai Drivers License

rickthailand

hi i am sorry if this question has been discussed(which i am sure) but i seem to find different answers.

I want to change my drivers license to a thai one. I have all the documentation except the letter from the imm.office.

I have a long term rent contract ( i am moving to chiang mai soon) now i keep reading something about the house owners

book(??) i need to show at imm office. could someone please explain to me.

thanks in advange

rick

hi i am sorry if this question has been discussed(which i am sure) but i seem to find different answers.

I want to change my drivers license to a thai one. I have all the documentation except the letter from the imm.office.

I have a long term rent contract ( i am moving to chiang mai soon) now i keep reading something about the house owners

thanks in advange

rick

you will need Your rental agreement and a copy also a residency letter from immigration 500B then copies of your passport and visa pages and medical certificate from a doctor 60-100 B.have just renewed my thai licence for 5 years

thanks in advange

rick

You do not need the Tambien Baan. You need a Certificate of Residence.

thanks in advange

rick

I took a Statutory Declaration,signed and certified by BiB,a bit suspect at first,hadn't seen one,rang officer

in question, BiB's your uncle. Saved me a trip to BKK.

thanks in advange

rick

I took a Statutory Declaration,signed and certified by BiB,a bit suspect at first,hadn't seen one,rang officer

What exactly are you trying to say?? Or are you saying that your uncle is a BiB :o

You don't have to go the big mango to get a drivers licence.

Edited by john b good

thanks in advange

rick

Huh?? What on earth are you talking about?

Go to BKK for a driver's license?

Edited by elektrified

If you are successful in getting all your documents in order, please be informed that they have 5-year validity driver's licenses that is valid in ASEAN countries. Additional 100 Baht and no need to bring 1X1 photographs. Wear decent clothes and bring a brush or comb because they will be taking a photo of you at the Land Transportation office.

If you are successful in getting all your documents in order, please be informed that they have 5-year validity driver's licenses that is valid in ASEAN countries. Additional 100 Baht and no need to bring 1X1 photographs. Wear decent clothes and bring a brush or comb because they will be taking a photo of you at the Land Transportation office.

I thought you could only get a fiveyear licence after your first 1 year licence expired? thats how it worked with me anyway.

If you are successful in getting all your documents in order, please be informed that they have 5-year validity driver's licenses that is valid in ASEAN countries...

Hmmm...'that is valid in ASEAN countries'. Does this imply a Thai Driver's License can not be used say to rent a car in North America, where I am planning to visit this summer? Any recent experience with this, please? Used 'search' but all I get is Thailand. Cheers

If you are successful in getting all your documents in order, please be informed that they have 5-year validity driver's licenses that is valid in ASEAN countries...

Hmmm...'that is valid in ASEAN countries'. Does this imply a Thai Driver's License can not be used say to rent a car in North America, where I am planning to visit this summer? Any recent experience with this, please? Used 'search' but all I get is Thailand. Cheers

I got a 1 year international licence as well as my 5 year thai licence in December 08, I was able to rent a car in Spain at christmas no problem. But you must get the International Licence. I believe you also need to have the 5 year Thai licence to qualify for this, but I may be wrong on that.

My understanding is that the "ASEAN" allows you to drive in the ASEAN countries - as I further understand that Thai's on a standard licence are not permitted to drive in some if not all the ASEAN countries.

sorry to bother you again. do i need to go to the transport office first to get a form or can i just go to immigration to get the letter

and than go to the transport office/

thanks rick

If you go to the transport office/driving licence office on hang dong road near tesco's, they will give you a check list of everything that you need. I never went anywhere near immigration when doing my last two licences, I got the residency form from my embassy. I got a medical from any hospital and I already had my passport copied.

sorry to bother you again. do i need to go to the transport office first to get a form or can i just go to immigration to get the letter

and than go to the transport office/

thanks rick

If you go to the transport office/driving licence office on hang dong road near tesco's, they will give you a check list of everything that you need. I never went anywhere near immigration when doing my last two licences, I got the residency form from my embassy. I got a medical from any hospital and I already had my passport copied.

I might be wrong--but, I think that the benefit of going to Immigration for the Cert. of Residence is that it is a lot cheaper than going to Embassy--British Emb. anyway--last time I heard they wanted an arm and a leg?

I think that you must have gone to Brit. Consulate since Yorkshire is still technically in England. :o

haybilly.

I might be wrong--but, I think that the benefit of going to Immigration for the Cert. of Residence is that it is a lot cheaper than going to Embassy--British Emb. anyway--last time I heard they wanted an arm and a leg?

exactly right !

i got a residence cert from the british consulate about two years ago .... cost 2400 baht ( yes two thousand four hundred baht for one piece of paper )

i went to immigration for one six months ago ..... cost 500 baht !

so it party time on the savings : )

dave2

I suppose it depends on the visa that you are on, when i tried to get a residence cert from the immigration a couple of years ago they told me I had to go to the embassy to get one as I was only on a 1 year Multi entry Non-B visa. As Im still on a Non-b visa, i just went to the embassy to get one. It cost 1890thb for a piece of paper, but now I have a five year licence, so its not really going to break the bank every 5 years.

and Haybilly, I think Yorkshire is still in the Uk, weve been trying to become a republic for some time though..last time i went home though, i though i was in poland, but thats a different topic all together.... :o

thanks in advange

rick

Huh?? What on earth are you talking about?

Go to BKK for a driver's license?

Stat. Dec. that I resided at such and such address, as was led to believe Imm. Dept. did not issue Cert. of Res. any more and would have to go to Embassy in BKK to get one.By the way I got my licence down the

Hang Dong road like everybody else.