English Translation

chris2009

Hey,

I was recently in thailand (phi phi island) and lost some belongings whilst I was over there. I went to the police and they wrote me a police report dictating what had happened and the belongings that I had lost (so I think).

I need help translating the police report to english as I want to know what they wrote. There were massive language barriers between myself and the police officers on duty as I do not speak thai and they could hardly speak english.

I want to make sure that what's written on the police report is an accurate account of what happened.

I have attached the PDF and JPEG versions of the police report to this post.

If anyone can help me translate the thai bits of it to english, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

post-77862-1235515659_thumb.jpg

thaipolicereport.pdf

Hey,

I was recently in thailand (phi phi island) and lost some belongings whilst I was over there. I went to the police and they wrote me a police report dictating what had happened and the belongings that I had lost (so I think).

I need help translating the police report to english as I want to know what they wrote. There were massive language barriers between myself and the police officers on duty as I do not speak thai and they could hardly speak english.

I want to make sure that what's written on the police report is an accurate account of what happened.

I have attached the PDF and JPEG versions of the police report to this post.

If anyone can help me translate the thai bits of it to english, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks

Well, hopefully a summary will suffice. It says that Christopher (you, I suppose), aged 22, Australian, passport no. ___ (better not to put this here, I think), went to the Koh Phi Phi branch of the Krabi city police station to speak to an officer and report as missing the various items in the list. Then it says where the incident happened (Phi Phi island) and the details of the officer taking the report, followed by signatures.

Hope that is enough. Feel free to ask any other specific questions.

Wow, hats off to you Aanon.

My reading isn't exactly good anyhow, but when it comes to hand written Thai- all bets are off for me- not a chance. I didn't try for long as it all just starts to dance in front of my eyes but I couldn't get a single word (except for the English ones of course).

Haha, want to do some translation for you too.. But i guess my translation won't be any better than what AAnon did for you. Anyway, any luck on your missing stuffs?

Kris of BKK

---

<snip>

Edited by soundman
No email addresses as per forum rules.

My hat is off to "aanon" as well!!

Even after I printed the report AND knew what it said from 'aanon', it was like pulling teeth to recognize the words.

I hope some day to be that proficient in reading handwritten thai, but for now I'm stuck with typed stuff.

Really an incredible feat of reading thai !!

I agree, it was a tough one, I could not make out much either.

I guess the only way to learn - as with everything else - is to keep practicing with live handwritten texts.

The AUA reading and writing book has examples of common handwritten styles as well as advice for developing one's own handwriting style, that can be helpful to start with.

I agree, it was a tough one, I could not make out much either.

I guess the only way to learn - as with everything else - is to keep practicing with live handwritten texts.

The AUA reading and writing book has examples of common handwritten styles as well as advice for developing one's own handwriting style, that can be helpful to start with.

fortunately i used to be a pharmacist so i had plenty of practise reading doctors' handwriting...no, just kidding. unfortunately, however, i do spend quite a bit of time trying to piece together what is very nearly illegible (i translate documents and so on). reading bad handwriting is much like listening to poorly recorded speech; your brain can work out a lot based on context as long as you know the vocab and the syntax of the language. nonetheless, i still have some problems occasionally. names and acronyms are especially challenging. sometimes my wife is able to help, sometimes not.

meadish is right: keep practising and working on all your other language skills. this skill (if you want it) is attainable.

aanon

I'm used to reading my girlfriend's handwriting and well, she usually spends a long time at writing it neatly for me. Sometimes, I think she panders a little too much to my preferences. I like it when she writes with a long and elaborate tail.

She still remarks that I write like a kindergarten child and brought me a couple of kindergarten level workbooks to practise. :o

Well here's another challenge for the gurus.

A chap I know is in a similar position to the OP tho' I can't remember now if he lost his stuff or got it stolen. Can anyone help to decipher this lot as he wants to check it's accurate before he gives it to his insurance company?

scan0001.jpg

Sorry dial up users- I can't seem to remember how to reduce the size of the image.

Edited by Slip