Settlement Visa/life In The Uk Test

Hello all

My wife is struggling to pass this bloody life in the uk test. She still has 4 months on her current 2yr settlement visa.

If she fails to pass the test before her visa expires what are our options?

Is she expected to return to Thailand?

Can we apply for another 2yrs and keep trying to pass the test?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hello all

My wife is struggling to pass this bloody life in the uk test. She still has 4 months on her current 2yr settlement visa.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

At the moment she can mate,, take it again ,but apparently its under review,,,, no doubt you will find out soon when the resident experts post on here.

This was a topic I asked about before exactly the same subject and point your making , but it got took over by f*****<deleted>.

Good luck mate to you and the missus ,, your not alone in this predicament ,, anyway its F*** ALL to do with living in the UK its just another Labour tax its £34 a go and 250000 take it yearly at an average of 3 times to pass thats about of the top of me calculator 25 million then ofcourse they get all the visa fees on top etc ,, I could go on .

Seriously though anyone reading this before you bring your new missus to the UK beware ! its gonna be an expensive hobby.

Ok over to the experts with more time to disect the post and give it to you chapter and verse .... I have to make my sandwiches for work tommorow to earn money to pay for my wifes UK test

I am in the same 'boat', however, I understand that if my wife has not passed the test and gives a good enough reason then her limited leave to remain is extended by a further period. Can be a further 3, totalling 5 years in total.

I'll get my wife to take the test as it is recorded for Immigrations info, you never know she might pass.

Good luck to you both........ I look forward to any comments that may enlighten me...!!! :o

Hello all

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Yes Steve, your wife can get another 2 year visa, if your wife is struggling with the Life in the UK test maybe she would like to try an ESOL course, my wife is doing a course at the moment, she started in September and she finish's in June although she has reached the desired level to obtain her Indefinite leave to remain visa and we obtained that 2 weeks ago. I don't know how good your wife's english is but the course focus's on reading and writing.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAndLe...lls/DG_10037499

Hope this helps.

Edited by Brigante7

I am in the same 'boat', however, I understand that if my wife has not passed the test and gives a good enough reason then her limited leave to remain is extended by a further period. Can be a further 3, totalling 5 years in total.

I'll get my wife to take the test as it is recorded for Immigrations info, you never know she might pass.

Good luck to you both........ I look forward to any comments that may enlighten me...!!! :o

I am interested in your quote here it can be extended for 3 years to make 5 in total ,, are you saying that is the limit ? if so what happens next ? will she then be deported by immigration ? This is something new to me , I have looked on the home office page and cannot find anything about this , where does this come from ?

That is certainly the current situation, although as already said it is under review and all indications are that the government will limit the number of times one can apply for FLR before having to either satisfy the KOL requirement and obtain ILR or leave.

If going the ESOL route, remember that a plain ESOL course is not sufficient to meet the requirement; it must be an ESOL with citizenship course.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

My wife has been doing an ESOL with citizenship course at a local women institute however i believe the course is somehow attached to a college programme, my concern is that it is only a 33hour course studying 2.5 hours a week. Does this sound like a normal ESOL with citizenship course?? ( I have my doubts) How can i find out if the course is acceptable to the home office?? Also this course has cost nothing (which is another reason im concerned) BUT the course definatly says ESOL with citizenship. She has passed entry level 2 and is due to be tested for level 3 late April.

Very confused

Steve

Most of these courses are part time and 2.5 hours a week for 33 weeks seems fine.

When she passed entry level 2 was she given a certificate to say that she had passed entry level 2 of ESOL with citizenship?

If so, then this should be sufficient; Remember one does not have to become fully qualified, merely progress from one level to the next.

To be sure you could contact the UKBIA with details of the course and ask.

Thanks for the reply 7by7

My wife is still waiting to be issued with her certificate once she has recieved this i will contact the home office just to get everything confirmed. My wife did ask the centre manager if the certificate would be sufficent for ILR and after a blank look was told she didnt think so.

How many different ESOL with citizenship courses are there and why are some acceptable whilst others are not?

I really wish they could be clearer.

Steve

hi regards the ESOL course, it HAS to be run by a reconised body, i,e, city and guilds, there are a few other reconised bodies, check the link gave earlier, not all these courses,offerd by some colleges / centres are reconised.hope this helps,

The level of English necessary to understand the study materials for the LitUK test and the test itself is ESOL entry level 3. So, even if she this course is not recognised then getting to entry level 3 should enable her to study for and pass the test.

However, most 'unofficial' ESOL courses do not include the citizenship element, so as the course is an ESOL with citizenship then I suspect it may be OK.

Can you ask those running it who oversees the course and sets the exams?