New Gay Bar

I heard there is or will be a new gay bar somewhere on Huey Keaw Rd. Anyone know anything about it?

There sure is one: it's called La Vie en Rose and it opened tonight in Chiang Mai. I was there for a couple of beers :o

The place is very nice with modern decor. It has lot of seats around the bar, in the lounge area and some with parasols near a nice fountain at the front.

Friendly staff, standard drink-prices and convenient location should make this a great place for people to hang out. Note: the bar is in a precinct of other bars and venues around the car park. Almost opposite Hillside 4 Condotel, drive in from Huey Keaw Rd. into the car park. The bar is located on the right.

Here are the details, copied from Long Yang Club CNX page, I hope they don't mind :D

"

Krit's new bar, "La Vie en Rose" is ready. On Thursday, March 5, 2009, he will receive his first guests. Go and have a look at this new gay venue, open daily from 18:00 till 24:00.

Krit will be assisted during this evening (and hopefully during many evenings to come) by Nueng and Thong.

Look for the location at the map below. There is ample parking space right in front of the bar.

From Thursday 5 on Krit and his staff will have a training period in this new environment, preparing everything for

The Grand Opening, which will be on Monday, 16 March, 2009.

(Located Next to "Nimman Kitchen By Krit") "

post-74025-1236273348_thumb.jpg

Krit's restaurant, Nimman Kitchen next door is also worthy of a mention. Excellent thai and northern food in a similar setting to the bar. Already has quite a following. The whole area there (used to be a market) has a lot of potential, easy access and easy parking. You can get to it both from Huay Kaew and from Sirijmanglka and it has several other venues including a gay/gay friendly Karaoke. That said, several other straight bars have tried to make it here before and failed. Also heard it has bad ghosts so I hope Krit is getting the monks and witch doctors in for his grand opening :o

A couple of bar owners from the Peak had also been discussing moving to this place but I don't know where this got to.

• 2 weeks later...
Krit's new bar, "La Vie en Rose" is ready. On Thursday, March 5, 2009, he will receive his first guests. Go and have a look at this new gay venue, open daily from 18:00 till 24:00.

Krit will be assisted during this evening (and hopefully during many evenings to come) by Nueng and Thong.

Look for the location at the map below. There is ample parking space right in front of the bar.

From Thursday 5 on Krit and his staff will have a training period in this new environment, preparing everything for

The Grand Opening, which will be on Monday, 16 March, 2009.

(Located Next to "Nimman Kitchen By Krit") "

Well if the opening party was anything to go by it should be a success; over 200 people allegedly (well some people will do anything for free drinks :D ). All the great and the good of the Chiang Mai Gay ex-pat community were there with a few familiar Thai faces as well. I understand this place has a Farang backer, which is probably how they could afford so much booze.

Good luck to them! Though personally I suspect it will attract mainly an older Farang crowd. That area has the 12:00 p.m closing well enforced and most of the Thai Katoeys won't have finished their make up by that time :o

• 4 weeks later...
Here are the details, copied from Long Yang Club CNX page, I hope they don't mind :o

No, we don't mind at all! LYC CNX is quite active about supporting Gay businesses throughout Chiang Mai, many of whom offer discounts to LYC CNX membership card holders (see our site at http://lyccnx.110mb.com for details)

LYC CNX is even holding our next "social evening" at La Vie en Rose on April 22nd, so drop on by and meet some of the LYC CNX crowd. It's a nice bunch of people.

Finally, I want to mention another new venue in Chiang Mai, Sabai Dee bar and restaurant next to Santitham Guest House. You can find a link to the location of the Santitham Guest House on our site as well! Don't miss either place!

Finally, I want to mention another new venue in Chiang Mai, Sabai Dee bar and restaurant next to Santitham Guest House. You can find a link to the location of the Santitham Guest House on our site as well! Don't miss either place!

Sabai Dee is a beautiful place, top marks to the owners for the effort they've put into it. Though definitely in the category of "Farang hobby business"; no one in their right mind would invest the amount of money that's been spent there if they were expecting a return on it, particularly in Santitham! Not that I'm complaining, its a beneficial move for gay Chiang mai and I hope it gets a good following. [bTW, if you're in any doubt this is a gay venue just vist the washroom :o ]

So, the place is fabulous, the food excellent, the prices acceptable, unfortuately, the service is a comedy act. Plenty of cute, willing, friendly staff, but they were completely clueless when I was there. Another symptom of the hobby business - guys, do yourselves a favour and employ a manager who actually has some idea of how to run a restaurant, organise the staff, take orders and keep the customers happy.

The focus of the gay scene in Chiang Mai has been slowly shifting over the last few months and Sabai Dee is a very positive part of that. Around the Huay Kaew/Santitham/Chang Peuak area there is now a good selection of venues. Within walking distance of Sabai Dee you've got Spirit House, Garden Bar, the soon to open Metro bar, Radchada Cafe, Fit bar and Ne Ne, plus of course all the host bars/gogos the late night Karaoke places and several male massage parlors. Then not far away is the Huay Kaew strip: La-vie-en-rose at one end, and Soho at the other, with several good eateries in between including Nimman Kitchen, Salsa Kitchen and Lemon tree, plus a few more.

There is also a nice contrast between the latest swanky upmarket venues and some more local Thai places, all of which are great fun. A couple of years back everyone considered the Night Bazzar to be the centre of the Chang Mai gay universe, now its more of a black hole :D The preserve of the very few remaining tourists who don't know any better and the sleazy sexpats who, are best left there. Elsewhere, the scene is developing into much more sophisticated venues some of which might actually survive the coming low season.

For any gay travellers coming to CM (an endangered species, I know), my recommendation is avoid the Night Bazzar and stay in one of several gay accomodations: Lotus Hotel, PJs place or Santitham Guest House. They are all located right in the best part of town now - Have fun!