Anyone Familair With Lemurs?

SoiGirlHunter

Yawn !!!

Congratulations for the demonstration of a stellar attitude. As a keeper of a protected species, what is your position on the 2007 paper authored by Lee R. Hagey, Bryan G. Fry and Helena Fitch-Snyder that discussed the use of the brachial gland exudate as a defensive toxin? You obviously understand and recognize that the gland secretion is used as a defensive toxin. I'm impressed because the folks at the Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species in San Diego CA in conjunction with the School of Medicine, University of Melbourne (Australia) took a long time to write up a specific handling protocol. Perhaps you could share your tips with them.

For those that still wish to encourage poaching and other criminal activity, here's a reminder from awhile back;

Slow Lorises Smuggler Eludes Arrest In Thailand (Edited for highlights only)

German Press Agency, March 1, 2007

Bangkok- ..........police are looking for Kawarabuki Nobuhito who checked in his luggage on a Thai Airways International (THAI) flight bound for Tokyo on February 24 but never boarded the plane at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. Airport authorities, made suspicious by noises coming from Nobuhito's luggage, upon investigation found 23 baby slow lorises crammed in tiny cages inside. One of the animals died from suffocation but the remainder were placed under the care of a government-run wildlife sanctuary. "This is the fourth case of a Japanese national attempting to smuggle slow lorises from Thailand to Japan so we can assume the market for this pet is on the rise," said Mook Wongchyakul, a spokesperson for WildAid Foundation in Thailand. Three Japanese were arrested for slow lorises smuggling last year (2006) Mook said. "We are talking with the nature crime police and customs about conducting an investigation into this illegal trade between Thailand and Japan," said Nirath Nipanant, Chief of Wildlife Checkpoint at Suvarnabhumi Airport.......................

Is it so hard for good intentioned people to think first and to act responsibly?

Yawn !!!

Congratulations for the demonstration of a stellar attitude. As a keeper of a protected species, what is your position on the 2007 paper authored by Lee R. Hagey, Bryan G. Fry and Helena Fitch-Snyder that discussed the use of the brachial gland exudate as a defensive toxin? You obviously understand and recognize that the gland secretion is used as a defensive toxin. I'm impressed because the folks at the Center for Reproduction of Endangered Species in San Diego CA in conjunction with the School of Medicine, University of Melbourne (Australia) took a long time to write up a specific handling protocol. Perhaps you could share your tips with them.

For those that still wish to encourage poaching and other criminal activity, here's a reminder from awhile back;

Bangkok- ..........police are looking for Kawarabuki Nobuhito who checked in his luggage on a Thai Airways International (THAI) flight bound for Tokyo on February 24 but never boarded the plane at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi Airport. Airport authorities, made suspicious by noises coming from Nobuhito's luggage, upon investigation found 23 baby slow lorises crammed in tiny cages inside. One of the animals died from suffocation but the remainder were placed under the care of a government-run wildlife sanctuary. "This is the fourth case of a Japanese national attempting to smuggle slow lorises from Thailand to Japan so we can assume the market for this pet is on the rise," said Mook Wongchyakul, a spokesperson for WildAid Foundation in Thailand. Three Japanese were arrested for slow lorises smuggling last year (2006) Mook said. "We are talking with the nature crime police and customs about conducting an investigation into this illegal trade between Thailand and Japan," said Nirath Nipanant, Chief of Wildlife Checkpoint at Suvarnabhumi Airport.......................

Is it so hard for good intentioned people to think first and to act responsibly?

You seriously have too much time on your hands... :o

Where is the 'yawning' Icon?

Slow loris, like many primates, are an endangered and protected species. They are under threat world-wide due to habitat destruction and the pet trade. I am pretty most specie are listed under the CITES treaty and people should not encourage there taking from the wilds by buying one for a pet! They are not domestic animals and should not be kept as "pets."

It is also true that the ones touted to tourists for photos can be mistreated by their owners, however, I can't blame them for what they do as they are poor and only trying to make a living (and probably have never heard of the CITES treaty anyway).

If you want a cute pet, go to a shelter and adopt an adorable cat or dog. SCAD Bangkok would be a good place to start.

Yawn !!!

Oh ok. :o

• 5 months later...
Slow loris, like many primates, are an endangered and protected species. They are under threat world-wide due to habitat destruction and the pet trade. I am pretty most specie are listed under the CITES treaty and people should not encourage there taking from the wilds by buying one for a pet! They are not domestic animals and should not be kept as "pets."

It is also true that the ones touted to tourists for photos can be mistreated by their owners, however, I can't blame them for what they do as they are poor and only trying to make a living (and probably have never heard of the CITES treaty anyway).

If you want a cute pet, go to a shelter and adopt an adorable cat or dog. SCAD Bangkok would be a good place to start.

I don't understand the logic of the argument, "they are endangered therefore should'nt be kept as pets". Obviously if they were a popular they'd be breeding programs and would no longer be endangered. Pets like dogs and especially cats kill native species, they breed and also carry diseases. Their poop contaminates footpaths, allows the spreading parasites into the water supply. Independent breeders, where observing care requirements of rare animals, should be encouraged.

Dogs and cats, and especially humans are a bigger problem.

That other weird argument that poaches shoot a Loris' parents to obtain them is equally hard to believe, cross-hairs on those faces, not even a canadian seal clubber is that cold hearted (a chinese fur dealer may though). Animals like the Loris are near the bottom of the food chain for many jungle species. Better a hug from a tourist than being a pythons dinner. Though of course there are going to be irresponsible and cruel owners out there.

Humans native habitats is jungles too however we do flock to air-conditioned apartments.

• 7 months later...

Hello Pattaya_girl, I am living in Pattaya since 4 years now and me too, I did fall in love with those beautiful animals. I would like to buy a couple to try to get babies to breed them if possible. Do you know where I could buy some of them ??? Thank you. you can email me: << Use PM>>

Hi.

When they are babies they are very friendly yes, but when they mature, they have a strong jaw and can bite hard - They are lovely pets but they cling onto anything and everything very very strong.

Mine are in cages, and seperate, as they fight eachother sometimes (two females). They are ok if you dont try to pick them up, you can stoke and play with them, but if you try to pull them off whatever they are clinging onto, they will bite.

A few years ago, someone didnt close the cage door properly, and one got out, beleive it or not, 7 weeks later she appeared again, so she must have known her way to my house, i have no diea where she had been but she looked very healthy.

These animals are very very slow, they move around very slowly.

They absolutely adore the deep fried Grasshoppers and insects bought from those sidestalls.

If you want to know anything, just ask and let me know if you get one ok. byee.

Please remember folks lori,s are an endangered species, the only way legally to buy them is deep fried,served in acrispy bun smothered in onion,garlic and chilli relish :D I thought seeing as every one else is talking cobblers I would have a try too!! :)