Paying For Us Tourist Visa

In the directions for applying for a US tourist visa, they say that you can pay the $100 processing fee (4000 baht) at any Thai Post Office and submit their reciept along with your application.

Does anyone know if you can just pay at the Embassy? And why does the Thai Post Office collect fees for the US Embassy? :o

No you can not pay at the Embassy for this (normally). You obtain a money order from post office and that way Embassy does not have to keep accounting records, exchange rate changes or cashier with various currencies to make change and the added queue. For other items you do pay at Embassy and people complain about exchange rate as they do not change 3 times a day like banks. You present the visa application and money order at the same time to the same person.

Above is my guess - there may be other reasons. And I also agree it is a pain in the butt.

• 2 weeks later...

Also note that it's any post office in Bangkok. And be aware that the post office opens at, what, 8:30a? And the Embassy stops accepting applications at 9:00a. So if you're not quick it'll take an extra day. Convenient isn't it? Especially for someone coming from out of town or Cambodia, god forbid. But as you'll be returning for the interview in a couple of weeks, what's an extra day, right? Why? My honest guess is to make it as difficult as possible.

And just wait until you find out what kind of quality service that $100'll buy ya!!!

Also note that it's any post office in Bangkok. And be aware that the post office opens at, what, 8:30a? And the Embassy stops accepting applications at 9:00a. So if you're not quick it'll take an extra day. Convenient isn't it? Especially for someone coming from out of town or Cambodia, god forbid. But as you'll be returning for the interview in a couple of weeks, what's an extra day, right? Why? My honest guess is to make it as difficult as possible.

And just wait until you find out what kind of quality service that $100'll buy ya!!!

Sad but true.

sadfacesmclr4qw.gif

The wife and I were at US Embassy last week to apply for her tourist visa. We went to the big post office on Sukhumvit as soon it opened Monday morning at 8:30. After standing in line, paying the 4,000 baht application fee, and getting the reciept (not a money order), it was 8:50. We took a cab around the corner and down the street to the Embassy, arriving at 9 and walked inside, thinking we'd have to come back the next day, but here's the thing. You don't have to submit the application before 9 a.m., you only need to get inside the Embassy. Once you're in, you can wait in line, as we did until almost noon, to submit the application. We were given an interview date in mid-February.

So it is at least possible to pay the fee and submit the application on the same day.

this is my first post. Hope I haven't mucked it up.