Thai Perceptions Of Other Asians

HenryP

Hi Kat,

As a white American male I will never in my lifetime experience the true feeling of

racism. What I am saying is that there are different degrees of hatred and extremism in the world; not all countries are the same as some would like to think.

It's one thing to be locked up in a refugee camp waiting to go home or being a 'Farang' and charged double or triple for everyhting, but it's quite another to watch in this modern age, a procession of hooded men with Confederate banners

marching down a city boulavard at midday. I'll take Thailand thanks.

I can tell you that in Taiwan, the Japanese are not very well liked. Due to the many crulties that Japan commitied during WW II. I would not be surprised if this were the case in Thailand, when you consider the large population of Chinese in Thailand, and the fact that Japan did occupy Thailand for a certain length of time. 

For some strange reason the Taiwanese (no offense intended) feel that the Koreans are the lowliest of lows...    Why that is, I don't know.  I am not even sure if they have a different opinion toward the northern, or southern Koreans. Don't feel bad, I would not doubt if us Americans are felt as the lowliest of all people of white origin.  Quite an honor....  Thanks Mr. Shrub. Soon we will be the poorest....    Oh well, the burden of being number one will finally be shed. What a relief!

I'm caucaion, but found this to be a very interesting thread, reminded me of the South American countries, very prejudiced to each other. I have found the Thias to be very racist when it comes to business dealings that don't go thier way. I gues whereever you go people are just people

I was borned in Thailand now living in America.. whenever i go back to Thailand ppl think i'm from Korean or Japanese.. :o

My moms friends told me i look viet.. :D

Having a long hair in Thailand doesn't help because they can view you as bad boy, drug user, and etc..

my parents migrated from china to the usa in 1938. I was born in the usa.

..in america, my home, most people don't look at me as an american. I'm chinese american.

in china, I am not chinese. I'm overseas chinese.

in thailand, people can't believe I'm american. they say quote, "I look like chinese, so, I must be chinese."

I had this thai policeman interrogate me one time on the street. when I told him I was american, he asked me for my passport, when I showed it to him. he still couldn't believe I was american. didn't know what to say, so, I kept my mouth shut.

in the early years, I remember thais not knowing what to call me. farang, or khon jing.

last week, I heard these people behind me discussing what I was. finally, the bus conductor said out loud in thai, quote, "he's chinese."

what can I say? nothing.

the way I look at it. life is short, not enough time to dread on it.

I know, I know.... you are asking. "so, what are you?" ...my answer is "alien".

happy memories....

I recently saw the movie 'Jaew' with a girlfriend of mine. It's a Thai movie, very slapstick and quite funny. We were both laughing the whole way through. It showed through comedy how Thais treat each other depending on regional background, skin color and social standing (money). It really made me think that the producers and writers of this film had watched and paid close attention to a few Spike Lee films. Sometimes it's better to laugh away the pain I guess.

Edited by mbkudu

to answer your question I would say that Thais look down on Burmese, Cambodians and Indians.  They look up to the Chinese, they feel like the Japanese look down on them. They look level at the Vietnamese & Malaysians, patronisingly at the Laos and anyone else they haven't a clue who they are!

If you think the Thais look down upon their historical enemies the Burmese or Khmers, that is nothing compared to the discrimination and animosity most Thais, especially those in Bangkok, display towards the minority groups up north who are all catagorized as dirty, uneducated, and sexually promiscuous. My wife's family is Karen and a number of times Thai couples who had known us for several months discovered that my wife's mother tongue is not Thai. At first they are simply incredulous, but often they soon cease all interactions with us as they are unable to rationalize having a social relationship with someone who they believe to be from a sub-human species of beings.

to answer your question I would say that Thais look down on Burmese, Cambodians and Indians.  They look up to the Chinese, they feel like the Japanese look down on them. They look level at the Vietnamese & Malaysians, patronisingly at the Laos and anyone else they haven't a clue who they are!

Sorry, but they do not look level at the Vietnamese. Most Thais believe that they are the more superior lot on this land mass.

If you think the Thais look down upon their historical enemies the Burmese or Khmers, that is nothing compared to the discrimination and animosity most Thais, especially those in Bangkok, display towards the minority groups up north who are all catagorized as dirty, uneducated, and sexually promiscuous. My wife's family is Karen and a number of times Thai couples who had known us for several months discovered that my wife's mother tongue is not Thai. At first they are simply incredulous, but often they soon cease all interactions with us as they are unable to rationalize having a social relationship with someone who they believe to be from a sub-human species of beings.

Yes, I have seen this myself, regarding my Burmese and Karen friends. However, I want to say for the record that there are also some young Thais that have been very kind to some of my Burmese friends in Bangkok.

Much like us Southerners with them lot 'oop North....

No, I really don't think it is.

• 2 weeks later...

The Japanese and Koreans look down on all other asians. Per capita, they are the 2 most prosperous asian countries. They are also amongst the lightest skinned asians. I would say Korea is more xenophobic, just not a very hospitable country to strangers generally. My opinon is that they look upon other asians and to some extent farangs as sub-humans. Of course there are exceptions to this, but for the most part I think this is pretty accurate. Not only do the KOR/JAP think they are better than SEA's but the Thais and other SEA's seem to perpetuate that by being so ###### deferential to the KOR/JAP's. Granted many Thai's show deference to anyone with a coupe thousand baht, but within their own hierarchy of racial status, me thinks they place them above even farangs. This could be due to the fact that for the most part, the JAP/KORS you see in Korea are mostly more affluent whether they are tourists or business people while often the sterotype of the farang is a sloven backpacker or a dishevel sex tourist.

Winston H Cary

Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich, LLP.

Interantional Trade Practice

The Japanese and Koreans look down on all other asians.  Per capita, they are the 2 most prosperous asian countries.

Sorry mate I think your ill-informed. South Korean GDP per head is actually lower than those of Singapore and Taiwan. Have a look.

Not sure about the Thais having a big impression of the Chinese. Maybe this is true for Hong Kong, but definately not mainland China where the majority of the population is still subject to abject penury and starvation !

--------------------

Edited by Darknight