Baby Birth Certificate And Other Documentation

kerr17

Hi all,

My daughter just born last week at Bumrungrad and i already received (by paying an extra fee) 2 copies of her birth certificate translated and authenticate by the ministry of the foreign affairs.

Me and the mother of our baby are not legally married.

I heard few people in this forum that had to go to the local amphur for some reason soon after the birth despite having already a birth certificate done as in my case for some reason.

Can someone explain me if i have to go to my local amphur or not please?

If so what's exactly the reason to do that?

I am sure you will get better answers from others who understand more Thai than me but out daughter was born two weeks ago. We were given a certificate by the hospital which we then took to the local Amphur for the hospital where we also had to provide a copy of our marriage certificate and a translated and certified copy of my passport. We were then provided with another certificate (not sure which of these two would be classed as the birth certificate) which we had to take to my wifes local Amphur so that the baby could be added to the Blue housebook.

I am sure you will get better answers from others who understand more Thai than me but out daughter was born two weeks ago. We were given a certificate by the hospital which we then took to the local Amphur for the hospital where we also had to provide a copy of our marriage certificate and a translated and certified copy of my passport. We were then provided with another certificate (not sure which of these two would be classed as the birth certificate) which we had to take to my wifes local Amphur so that the baby could be added to the Blue housebook.

Our baby was added to housebook without anything other than hospital (Samitivej) supplied birth certificate, the house is wife's family upcountry.

Issued passport.

Travelled overseas.

We married 4 years later to get into Japan (as Japan does not recognize unmarried couples, especially if they are of different nationality).

One board member repeats daily that you are not baby's legal father unless you were married at the time of birth and you have to go to amphur in person.

Never done that and still have to see when and how it may bite my bum.

Edited by think_too_mut

Our baby was added to housebook without anything other than hospital (Samitivej) supplied birth certificate,

Issued passport.

Travelled overseas.

We married 4 years later to get into Japan (as Japan does not recognize unmarried couples, especially if they are of different nationality).

One board member repeats daily that you are not baby's legal father unless you were married at the time of birth and you have to go to amphur in person.

Not sure about having to be at the Amphur in person, I was because I was driving but didn't sign anything. My wife already had copies of my passport in case I was out of Thailand at the time our baby was registered.

Also I didn't understand the two certificates - the hospital one was on plain white paper but the one issued by the Amphur was a very light brown form that was printed on to and signed by my brother in law. It could be becuase the hospital our baby was born in came under a different Amphur to where we live.

I am sure someone with a bit more knowledge on this can enlighten us!

I called 3 different Amphur and everyone told my girlfriend that there is absolutely no need to go there and register the baby as we already have the birth certificate:

This is the document that we need:

http://www.dopa.go.th/dopanew/baby.html

They said this has to be done in few years distance and not within 15 days as someone suggested, I'm really confused now......

Hi all,

My daughter just born last week at Bumrungrad and i already received (by paying an extra fee) 2 copies of her birth certificate translated and authenticate by the ministry of the foreign affairs.

I heard few people in this forum that had to go to the local amphur for some reason soon after the birth despite having already a birth certificate done as in my case for some reason.

The reason to go to the amphur yourself is to declare that you are the father of the child. When you are marreid, the law assumes the husband of the mother is the father. When not married, no such assumption is made and being on the BC is not enough. (Anyone can be named on the BC). You have to declare in eprson that you are the father to become the father and gain costudy over your child.

Look at this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gain-Parenta...-M-t235443.html

Our baby was added to housebook without anything other than hospital (Samitivej) supplied birth certificate, the house is wife's family upcountry.

Issued passport.

Travelled overseas.

You legitimised the baby by marrying the mother. That is one of the methods of legitimising a child under Thai law.

Hi all,

The reason to go to the amphur yourself is to declare that you are the father of the child. When you are marreid, the law assumes the husband of the mother is the father. When not married, no such assumption is made and being on the BC is not enough. (Anyone can be named on the BC). You have to declare in eprson that you are the father to become the father and gain costudy over your child.

Look at this topic:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Gain-Parenta...-M-t235443.html

Thanks a lot i already seen that sticky thread.

The point is that i let my wife called several different offices and everyone told her there is no urgent need and I have to wait few years before do that (not sure what the reason is).

I know it sounds silly but we tried different persons and everyone is giving us the same answer, we even told her we would have gone there personally and they told us not to as they could have not done it anyway.

Also what happened if i will not do it within 15 days but afterwards?

I believe you have to wait till the child is 7 years, then the child and mother can both declare that you are the father.

Yes, this is exactly what they told us, so this mean i won't be the legal father untill then despite been in the birth certificate?

I believe you have to wait till the child is 7 years, then the child and mother can both declare that you are the father.

Yes, this is exactly what they told us, so this mean i won't be the legal father untill then despite been in the birth certificate?

That would be my understanding, unless you marry the mother you will have to wait.

You might want to contact forumsponsor isaanlawyers for proper legal advice.

Can't recommend a amphur. But can give you the law on this:

http://www.thailawonline.com/images/thaici...l%20code%20.pdf

page 16, section 1546, 1567 and 1568.

Thanks a lot Mario, I don't see anywhere state fatherhood should be notified within 15 days.

My main problem is that my girlfriend send the original copy of the birth certificate to her home up north to get my child in the tabien ban.

Monday (it will de 14 days exactly from the born) i will go to any amphur in Bangkok but i only have the authenticated copy of the birth certificate and not the original one that i hope to get it back by Tuesday.

The requirement to register the birth within 15 days is another part of law. The rule can be found here:

http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/birth.htm

(department of provicial administration, I believe their website in Thai is much more complete).

The birth is registered at the amphur of the place where the child is born. It looks to me the child has already been registered, by the hospital. With all consequences of that.

The requirement to register the birth within 15 days is another part of law. The rule can be found here:

http://www.dopa.go.th/English/servi/birth.htm

(department of provicial administration, I believe their website in Thai is much more complete).

The birth is registered at the amphur of the place where the child is born. It looks to me the child has already been registered, by the hospital. With all consequences of that.

Exactly.

It looks to me exactly the same things was done for me by Bumrungrad, in that case there should be no need to go Amphur then, right ?

Getting more confused :o

I really appreciate your help, in any case on Monday morning i will go to some local Amphur and hopefully i will find out more about it.

Correct. The only reason the baby can be registered on the tabien ban is bacause there is a valid BC.

For you it seems you have to wait till you get married or the child is 7 years before you can gain parental rights. Don't forget to check with your own embassy to register the child and legitimise it. You might be able to do that under your own countries law.

The 15 day thing is registering the new child on the tabieen baan following its birth.

The Ampur in which the child was born issues the birth certificate. You then take that with the parents details to your home Ampur and have the child put into the blue tabieen baan. Just did this for our no.2 a few weeks back.

Getting on the tabieen baan IS important. Firstly it is the law, secondly, it puts your childs name into 'the system'. Very importnat for when you apply for their Thai passport. The passport people merely download the key info from the central system to populate the database.

For later in life, being on the system also allows immediate checks of ID to be made for DL, Tax returns etc etc.

Correct. The only reason the baby can be registered on the tabien ban is bacause there is a valid BC.

For you it seems you have to wait till you get married or the child is 7 years before you can gain parental rights. Don't forget to check with your own embassy to register the child and legitimise it. You might be able to do that under your own countries law.

Why do I have to wait to get married or the child to be 7 years before i can get parental rights if other people can get it registering the baby to the local amphur in the first 15 days?

I'm already getting my daughter on his family tabien ban (I haven't got one right now).

I'm not sure if i'm missing anything or not.

To recap i already get a Thai birth certificate done and signed by me with the child under my last name (also 2 english copies authenticated by the ministry of the foreign affairs).

I send all the document to my gf parents to get my daughter on their tabien ban.

Am i missing anything else?

To recap i already get a Thai birth certificate done and signed by me with the child under my last name (also 2 english copies authenticated by the ministry of the foreign affairs).

I send all the document to my gf parents to get my daughter on their tabien ban.

sounds good.

Once done, if you need it, being on the tabieen baan makes it possible to apply for a Thai passport.

sounds good.

Once done, if you need it, being on the tabieen baan makes it possible to apply for a Thai passport.

So am i having parental rights right now?

Baby has also my last name in the birth certificate.

Thanks for your help

No one knows or ever knows in 4 different Amphur about this law to get parental rights within 15 days after the born for an unmarried couple and everyone told me that the only way is to wait for the baby to be 7 years old or to go to court.

The law is that you register the birth yourself to be regocnised as the father under the law in the case the mother is not married. If you went to the amphur yourself to register the birth you are the legal father, if the hospital arranged for the registration of the birth at the amphur and you didn't go there yourself you are not.

The law says that the registration of the birth must be made within 15 days, not that you have to legitimise the child within 15 days. Legitimisation is done at the same time as the registration of the birt. Or by marrying the mother or by consent from mother and child, but for this last option the child has to be at least 7 years old.

Therefor if the parents are not married the law wants the father to confirm he is indeed the father. In Thailand that is done by the fahter registering the baby himself.

If someone else registers the baby, the fahter didn't legalise the baby and he is not considered the legal father of the baby.

So remember, if you are not married and want to be the legal father of your child register the baby yourself at the amphur. Registration of a newborn has to be made within 15 days.

The section 1546,1547,1548 indeed state there are 3 ways go get parental rights to a child of an unmarried baby.

- Subsequent marriage of the parents

- Judgment of the court

- Notification by the father in person

However for the last case mother and child (presumably already 6-7 years old) must give their consent and there is no mention everywhere that it have to be done within 15 after the born.

At this point i will make sure i will make sure my daughter she will get a UK birth certificate and a UK passport and that will be it.

The law is that you register the birth yourself to be regocnised as the father under the law in the case the mother is not married. If you went to the amphur yourself to register the birth you are the legal father, if the hospital arranged for the registration of the birth at the amphur and you didn't go there yourself you are not.

The law says that the registration of the birth must be made within 15 days, not that you have to legitimise the child within 15 days. Legitimisation is done at the same time as the registration of the birt. Or by marrying the mother or by consent from mother and child, but for this last option the child has to be at least 7 years old.

Ok it make clear sense now, nothing i can do about it then, sounds silly to me though.

Thanks for your great help indeed.

• 5 months later...

Im looking for some advice please,

My Daughter was born the 8th Sep in Chiang Rai,I declined the hospital's offer to register the

baby for us.We are not married,I went to the tessaban(spelling) in Chiang rai and was told as this is her first

child my girlfriend has to come to sign and not me.I have just been to the local tessaban(ampur said to go there) where we live with

the house owner to get her added to house book and again I have not signed anything,

Where does this leave me now according to Thai law?

Any advice greatly appreciated<h3 class="r">

</h3>

Edited by halfhead

Im looking for some advice please,

My Daughter was born the 8th Sep in Chiang Rai,I declined the hospital's offer to register the

baby for us.We are not married,I went to the tessaban(spelling) in Chiang rai and was told as this is her first

child my girlfriend has to come to sign and not me.I have just been to the local tessaban(ampur said to go there) where we live with

the house owner to get her added to house book and again I have not signed anything,

Where does this leave me now according to Thai law?

Any advice greatly appreciated<h3 class="r">

</h3>

Their advise is unsound. You can and should register the birth of the baby yourself, otherwise you would indeed not legalise the child as your with all consequences.

You state tesebaan, but normaly the register is at the amphur. Just visit the local amphur (district office)

I would go to the amphur of birth and register the birth there, but with a note from the mother and a copy of her ID, stating that she allows you to register the child and that you are indeed the father of the child.

If they still refuse I would ask for them to put their refusal in writing and name the regulation under which they refuse the registration by you.

You could also call the government information helpline 1111.

The registration at the local amhur where you live is for the registration of the child on the household book. But seems to me that for that the birth has to be registered first at the amphur of birth.

My understanding is that the hospital birth cert simply starts the process. The record is then transferred to the local Amphur where the mother is listed in the housebook as being resident. The child is added to the housebook, and the final birth cert is issued.

All subsequent Thai official documents will use the Amphur's records for basic data e.g. ID card, passport etc etc.

You don't have to wait 7 years to get a UK passport. In actual fact, even though the embassy request it, you probably don't even need the Thai birth cert. A DNA test on you and your child performed by a recognized institute, should be enough. In Isaan, the University Hospital in Khon Kaen has the facilities, but you would need to check first with your embassy, that the results are recognized.

Finally, good luck. This is Thailand. Please try to be patient.

My understanding is that the hospital birth cert simply starts the process. The record is then transferred to the local Amphur where the mother is listed in the housebook as being resident. The child is added to the housebook, and the final birth cert is issued.

All subsequent Thai official documents will use the Amphur's records for basic data e.g. ID card, passport etc etc.

You don't have to wait 7 years to get a UK passport. In actual fact, even though the embassy request it, you probably don't even need the Thai birth cert. A DNA test on you and your child performed by a recognized institute, should be enough. In Isaan, the University Hospital in Khon Kaen has the facilities, but you would need to check first with your embassy, that the results are recognized.

Finally, good luck. This is Thailand. Please try to be patient.

The birth of the child has to be registered at the amphur of where the child is born. Next the child can be registered in someone household book, that can be in any amphur.