Converting A New Pool To The Salt Water Thingy!

BIGJIMMY

I have a new swimming pool in my new house, I recently asked the swimming pool man - Thai - how much it would cost to get the standard chlorine system converted to the much talked about salt water cleaning system, he quoted (after alot of thought, noises and a lenghty explantion about how, as its already finished, he would have to rip out pipes and basically rebiuld the whole system) 58,000 baht.

I now realise I should have done some research before it was started etc but the pool was in the price of the house and I never really gave it much thought, so anyway, is that price, his explantion etc near the mark?

Ta

Jimmy

Absolute crap! A saltwater chlorinator unit can be retro fitted in minutes. All that is needed is a hacksaw, a couple of PVC 90° bends either 40 mm or 50 mm depending on your pipe diameter, a screwdriver, and a power drill to fix the control unit to the wall.

Prices start at around 35,000 baht for a small (eg: 4 x 8) pool.

PM me for more information.

Thanks for that, I have sent you a PM, better just check as i'm not the greatest on here!!

Let me know if you haven't got it.

I am in the process of planning to build my pool, the Salt Water Filtration as the previous poster says is 35,000 baht (about), and another 2 or 3,000 to come and fit it for you, takes about half a day they said to me.

Good Luck

Salt water chlorinators are the best way to sanitize your pool. I have been in the water, swimming pool game for 20 yrs and in Oz you have to ask for your pool to not be salt when getting a price or built. Be careful as to the brand. There is good and bad. Cost 35,000 would get you a no frills one that would do a very small pool at best. Plus installation and salt plus start up. You wouldn't get much change out of 50K for a small pool taking all this in to account. PM me and I will send you an article I wrote about Salt Chlorinators for the Real Estate Magazine. Beware - the Thai's in general don't know how to look after a pool that is salt. (It is quite simple to do yourself though)! :o

Thanks for that, I have sent you a PM, better just check as i'm not the greatest on here!!

Let me know if you haven't got it.

I am in the process of planning to build my pool, the Salt Water Filtration as the previous poster says is 35,000 baht (about), and another 2 or 3,000 to come and fit it for you, takes about half a day they said to me.

Good Luck

HOE - PM me and I can get some details and offer some advice!

Thanks, can I ask, is that machine you mention, an automatic one, my pool is 55,000 litres, would it be sufficient?

Thanks

The 60,000 litre one should be enough, the Compu Pool website actually says that model will do 80,000 whereas the instruction book from mine says 60.

It is all fully auto, you set the digital clock for when your pump / filter is running, it has a Super Chlorinate button to press is you have heavy rain or a load of people using the pool. You can set the chorine level you want. It will also tell you when to add salt to the pool and when you have too much salt in the pool. If there is no flow through it then it auto shuts off after 2 mins.

16Kg of salt needs adding to the pool for every 4000 litres of water to get you going.

Have a look at their website, you can download the manual.

Good Luck :o

Many suppliers of saltwater chlorinators base the size of unit on the manufacturers recommendation which is fine if you want to use pool stabiliser to counter the effects of the UV rays from the sun. The UVs eat up chlorine. Pool stabiliser is a suspected carcinogen & needs to be closely monitored & controlled in a strict range for it to be fully effective. In my opinion the use of pool stabiliser is not necessary if you have a saltwater chlorinator which will produce enough chlorine to allow for depletion from the UVs & still leave an adequate residual of chlorine.

Although the ESC 24 & 48 are good machines the cell in the 48 is the same as the 24 & so twice as much power is used therefore the life of the cell in the ESC 48 is halved & replacement cells are not cheap, for any brand.

Feel free to contact me in private if you wish to discuss this further.

• 1 month later...
A Compupool CPSC Chlorinator (Oz Brand) comes in at about 46,000 baht for a 60,000 litre model supplied in Phuket. Very easy to retrofit into a normal pool as previous poster says, an hour or two max.

Just got the same make, model CPS 24 , 80,000 litres 29,000 baht, from a small pool shop just past Naklua near the flyover, tried the shops in Pattaya and found their prices way over the top.

My last chlorinator got zapped by lightning hitting the ground, then it traveled up the grounding rod, 2nd time, this one will not be hard wired, just plugged in.

Edited by sometime

Salt water chlorinators are the best way to sanitize your pool. I have been in the water, swimming pool game for 20 yrs

Bagwain could you say something about what to do when algae start to develop in a saltwater pool.

I have heard of giving "chlorine shocks". Your thoughts......and if pro then how's it done?

Sleepyjohn

Sorry for silly question but if you have salt chlorination system like being spoken abt is your pool chlorine pool or salt,like sea water ???

EPG.

My pool is 50,000 litres and when it was first put into action we needed to add about 250Kg of salt to the water to reach the right level for the chlorinator to work on. The chlorinator then uses this salty water to make chlorine. Like previous posters say UV destroys chlorine so using a chlorinator keeps the pool at the correct level all of the time.

When you swim in the pool you can barely taste any salt in the water and do not have the chlorine smell or the stinging eyes like a chlorine dosed pool. The ratio of salt to water is much much less then the salt level in the sea.

Have to add another bag of salt every now and then to top up the level but salt is much much cheaper than buying chlorine.

Hope this helps.

A Compupool CPSC Chlorinator (Oz Brand) comes in at about 46,000 baht for a 60,000 litre model supplied in Phuket. Very easy to retrofit into a normal pool as previous poster says, an hour or two max.

Just got the same make, model CPS 24 , 80,000 litres 29,000 baht, from a small pool shop just past Naklua near the flyover, tried the shops in Pattaya and found their prices way over the top.

My last chlorinator got zapped by lightning hitting the ground, then it traveled up the grounding rod, 2nd time, this one will not be hard wired, just plugged in.

This price seems a bit low for a self cleaning model & I recommend anyone buying a saltwater chlorinator to make sure it is self cleaning otherwise calcium deposits build up on the cells & have to cleaned off regularly with acid.

I will also repeat from my previous post that when the manufacturer states it is for a particular sized pool they are assuming the use of pool stabilizer which in my mind detracts from the naturalness of having a saltwater pool.

This price seems a bit low for a self cleaning model & I recommend anyone buying a saltwater chlorinator to make sure it is self cleaning otherwise calcium deposits build up on the cells & have to cleaned off regularly with acid.

I will also repeat from my previous post that when the manufacturer states it is for a particular sized pool they are assuming the use of pool stabilizer which in my mind detracts from the naturalness of having a saltwater pool.

Yes it's self cleaning, here is the web site http://www.compupool.com.au/product/salt_w...f_cleaning.html

I could have choose the INTELLICHLOR SALT CHLORINATOR cell and power centre that was going for 30,000 baht

Yes it's self cleaning, here is the web site http://www.compupool.com.au/product/salt_w...f_cleaning.html

I could have choose the INTELLICHLOR SALT CHLORINATOR cell and power centre that was going for 30,000 baht

I checked the website this morning but could not find anything which shows how many grams per hour of 100% chlorine it produces. For an 80,000 litre pool you will need to produce 320 grams per day, to allow for depletion by UVs, if not using pool stabiliser.

Has enyone ever considered mineral treatment instead of salt chlorinater, which is still a chlorine treatment after all? An installation can be fitted in any existing piping, costs about the same depending on the water volume. I am using copper/silver ionization, which turned my pool into drinking water quality. You would still need an oxidizer, such as chlorine, but cuts it down to 5 to 10% of normal usage. I use liquid oxigen H2O2 once a week at a 50000 l to 1l ratio.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a pool/spa biz in So Cal for 15 years and worked in Phuket back in '05.

Salt is the best way to go, always opt for the self-cleaning units.

I oversize the units on evey installation so as not having to run them at maximum, therby extending the life of the cells, which can be expensive if one has to replace them.

Please keep in mind, YOU HAVE TO MAINTAIN PROPER WATER CHEMISTRY OR ALL IS FOR NAUGHT!

This means proper Ph levels, calcium hardness, and conditioner(cyanuric acid) to keep the chlorine that is made in the water. And other levels.

If no conditioner, the chlorine is gone in 2 hours from the UV light.

Thats why most homeowners pools go to shit if they try to take care of them or uneducated service people do it.

The water will eat almost anything-tile grout, concrete, etc. It is not just about checking chlorine levels!

just a word to the wise, a pool is a big investment and a big part of the aesthetic look of your home. Don't scrimp on price or knowledge when looking for a "professional" to take care of your water features.

That's why they call it "water chemistry"! And I am highly dubious of the service people the RE people use to maintain the homes here! But just my 2 cents worth.

California Rick in HuaHin

mail me at [email protected] if I can be of service

• 3 weeks later...
I have a new swimming pool in my new house, I recently asked the swimming pool man - Thai - how much it would cost to get the standard chlorine system converted to the much talked about salt water cleaning system, he quoted (after alot of thought, noises and a lenghty explantion about how, as its already finished, he would have to rip out pipes and basically rebiuld the whole system) 58,000 baht.

I now realise I should have done some research before it was started etc but the pool was in the price of the house and I never really gave it much thought, so anyway, is that price, his explantion etc near the mark?

Ta

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Its very easy to convert your pool to salt water, just cut the out let pipe coming out of your filter fit the cell and fit the box on the wall, add the salt .6 percent, so a pool that was 100,000 liters you would add 600 kilos of salt, after 12 hours turn on your salt cell and bingo, you now have a salt water pool.

I can send you a diagram if you are interested.

Regards Gary Green

[email protected]

Ta

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy

Its very easy to convert your pool to salt water, just cut the out let pipe coming out of your filter fit the cell and fit the box on the wall, add the salt .6 percent, so a pool that was 100,000 liters you would add 600 kilos of salt, after 12 hours turn on your salt cell and bingo, you now have a salt water pool.

I can send you a diagram if you are interested.

Regards Gary Green

[email protected]

I take it that you would turn of the pump first & close all the valves :):D