Honda Wave 125 Fuel Injected

brycat

I'm currently looking into buying a new motorbike. I had almost made the decision to buy a Honda Wave 125FI when a friend gave me some info that made me pause. Looking for opinions, good or bad, on this model (on the 125FI only, not the 100 or 110).

Has anyone experienced inconsistent shifting in the 125s? My friend talked to a few mechanics (including Honda mechanics), and they verified that this is a problem with the model, not all bikes but some. (He currently has a 3 year old 125 and swears there's a problem with his bike's shifting.)

Also, has anyone noticed excessive rattling/ shimmying of the engine compared to the 100 or 110s? Nothing to make you s__t your pants but enough to be annoying?

Any predictions on the resale value of these bikes in the next 3 years? (Heard they're going to be releasing a newly designed 125 within the next couple of years. Wondering if this might affect the resale value of the current models.)

Thanks.

I'm currently looking into buying a new motorbike. I had almost made the decision to buy a Honda Wave 125FI when a friend gave me some info that made me pause. Looking for opinions, good or bad, on this model (on the 125FI only, not the 100 or 110).

Has anyone experienced inconsistent shifting in the 125s? My friend talked to a few mechanics (including Honda mechanics), and they verified that this is a problem with the model, not all bikes but some. (He currently has a 3 year old 125 and swears there's a problem with his bike's shifting.)

Also, has anyone noticed excessive rattling/ shimmying of the engine compared to the 100 or 110s? Nothing to make you s__t your pants but enough to be annoying?

Any predictions on the resale value of these bikes in the next 3 years? (Heard they're going to be releasing a newly designed 125 within the next couple of years. Wondering if this might affect the resale value of the current models.)

Thanks.

I've had mine now for 11,000 kilometers and can't say I've had any problems with it. The shifting into 4th always seemed to require a bit more effort or sometimes simply would not go in. Down shifting was always easier and consistant. Once in a while the bike will stumble. Not sure if that's FI or ignition related. Recently I had the bike in for routine service and they must have picked up on the mis-shifting into 4th. It came back shifting more solidly and have not missed a shift yet. The common sense problem is bringing it to an independent garage for service. Can they do a diagnostic of the FI? Carbs always seem to remain the same.

You would probably get more feedback on this topic if you requested a mod to move it to the Thailand Motor Forum

Yeah..... I guess I overlooked that forum when I was considering where to post. Good suggestion ovenman.

How about it mod? Any chance of getting this topic moved to the Thailand Motor Forum?

BryCat...

yeah, get the Wave i 125cc, excellent bike. Great gas mileage, amazing performance.

Mine is a month old, purchased new from Mityon Motors, Pattaya, 48k baht.

Look into buyng 2 years of theft insurance for 2400b. These bikes are very popular and yes, they get stolen.

The Honda Wave 125cc is the bike of choice for pretty much all the Thai taxi drivers.

Very reliable. Do your own homework and interview various Thai taxi drivers. They drive these Waves for a living!

Mityon added front grocery basket gratis, along with the U-shaped guard. Handy for clipping one's knapsack to for

long trips. I had the shop install beefier nitrogen-assist rear springs, 1500b. A good idea if you weigh over 110 kgs and carry passengers all the time like I do.

I've rented a variety of motorbikes in Pattaya for years. Finally did the moto math like we all do and realized that I was closing in

on a purchase price in rental expenditures! Yikes!

ATs (auto matic transmission) bikes are good if one is a newbie to Thailand. IMHO, the ATs just inhale too much petrol. So, my personal take is that I am not a fan of auto-trans, eventhough I realize that most folks do not care about shifting.

Your personal call.

The 125cc is a semi-automatic. To accelerate, you shift into 1st gear, twist your throttle (right grip). Just prior to shifting, release the throttle, dropping the engine revs.

Then shift.

Retwist throttle to acclerate. Repeat for all your gears.

It is a "rocker" shifter, employing your left heel/toe action for up and down shifting. If might take you a few hundred km to develop a hang and your own personal shift style. But with practice, you will learn to love this bike.

Yes, it holds its value...go around where you live and try and locate a used one!

Shifting is harder to type out than do in person. You do wanna take the strain of acceleration off the drive train just prior to shifting.

This relaxes all and allows for a smooth shift.

I've had my bike for 1k km and no probs. I own four Hondas back in the USA, a lot of good those bike do me in Thailand, eh?

I look forward to driving my Wave all over the place. Great gas mileage. Tank holds four liters. I've heard reports of a 280-300km range. I'm not there yet. Still breaking my bike in.

If you do get a Wave i....change the oil often! It is inexpensive, costing a whopping 100b.

Many times less, like 75b. Oil is cheap Do it every 5-6k km.

The drivetrain and ride of the Wave 125i is very solid and sure. Like no-handed riding at 100 kmph. Not recommended, but it does give you an

idea of how stable this bike is at speed. It will pop wheelies as well, if you know what you're doing.

I've had my Wave i up to 120kmph and I weigh 110kgs. Sweet bike. I wish I could import this bike into the USA.

It will cruise between 80-100kmph all day, no complaints, no coughing, no flat spots....with a passenger!

It has a very torquey feel to it. Learn how to maintain your bike, its fun and gratifying.

Google Honda Wave 125 i and there are articles that attest to the fact that the fuel injection smoothes out the flat spots

inherent in any carbuerated (normally aspirated) engine.

I like night riding and this bike is a sweet dream come true. The head lamp is always on. You can hit the bright switch on and off easily with left thumb. The instrument cluster at night gives you several crucial bits of info in a readable form at quick glance: kmph in orange speedo cluster. Gear selection, Odometer and gas level in more subdued tones of grey.

Excellent ergonomics.

Once you get down to one liter, the "E" begins pulsing at the gas gauge to the right. Not an aggravating beep or flashing.

You still have 50km+ range after that "E" begins to pulse.

If after purchasing a new Wave i, if you do not like it...pm me and I know about 10 guys that would buy it off you in a jiffy. Look around town....a PGM F1 Wave (Wave i fuel injeted) just do not make it to the used bike market.

Have at it.....you will be impressed.

Honda is having trouble with Chinese and Phillipino copycat knock offs of this bike.

With good reason.

I've had mine for over 3 years now, a little over 16k kilometers. Excellent machine. Change the oil and fill the gas tank and keep on running. As long as the battery is good this motor with FI always starts with a push of the electric starter button. I would never drive mine over 80kph but I'm chicken.

I agree with most of whats been said already.

I've had a Wave i 125 since the Tsunami.

14,000 km zero problems.

Gear shift was a little tight for the first 5000 km. now fine.

Excellant fuel economy, plenty of get up & go, just need to rev it a bit higher than the carb models.

I have a two year old Wave - it's only a humble 100 and it's not injected... but i'm wondering whether there's any difference in the comfort levels. I'm guessing not. I find the Wave is a real numb bum experience after about 15mins.

Been using a new Click recently and i'm amazed at how much more comfort there is for both rider and pillion - and it has so much more instant zip. I'm sure the 125 Wave would beat it for out and out speed of course, but driving around town the Click works so well.

Just my thoughts. What made you settle on the Wave Brycat?

Honda Waves are definitely a proven workhorse. I have owned a Honda CZ-i for about 5 months now and have not been disappointed yet. It is a 110 with manual shift and hauls me and the wife around quite nicely. I'd say together we total about 140 KG. The last fill up I checked the "mileage" and it was 67 Kilometers per liter (158 Miles per US Gallon). I ran it pretty hard with two people on it most of the time and have to say I am quite happy with the economy and performance. My only gripe is that there isn't a basket of some type made for the bike (yet). We carry everything in a backpack or hold plastic bags when returning from the markets.

A Fino is in our very near future for the wife.

Regards

Honda Waves and doing your own bike maintenance...

sure, you can hire someone to clean your bike, but is is worth it to do yourself.

You'll notice little things. Get a good quality chain lube, clean and lube your chain. If you are

waiting until your oil change, you're waiting too long.

I do mine every week, minimum. On many Waves, the chain is now enclosed in a cover.

Pop the black access cap to inspect and lube chain. Better to use a lube formulated for chains.

Something with Teflon. WD-40 tends to attract dirt.

I had my Wave up on the center stand, washing away, then noticed a nifty deal I had never noticed before:

center stand locking tab! Check your own ride out, maybe you have it as well?

Once bike rocks up on center stand, two steel tabs now align. You add a locking padlock and thus, your ride cannot be rolled away.

Never noticed this before, d'oh!

Nice feature!

Thanks for all the feedback everybody!

I had a 125i a couple years ago, I loved the bike and will by a new one for my wifes b-day. Great gas consumption and looks realy nice. Only propblem I had was a heavy ticking noise. I brought it into honda and they ajusted something. Told me it was commin for this model. They did it for free everytime.

I had this model a year but sold,

very nice long distance bike (longer wheelbase then the non-injection model) though a real bad point was a vibration caused by the engine that resulted in vibrating hands half way Chiangmai - Maesai, rather annoying. I won't buy this one anymore, changed for an Airblade and that one is real fun, also long trips.

The Airblade consumes very little petrol on long ways, Chiangmai - Maesai and back (450 km or so) just 240 bath on petrol, thats very good for an automatic !

Edited by spaceshipcrew

• 2 months later...

eljeque, which Auction did you pick up your wave? Do you know if their are any action houses in Phuket?

I have owned a Honda Wave 125i for 1.5 years, commute daily to work about 250km per week. Bought second hand (managed to find one) 2 years old with 13,000km on the clock. 32,000baht I have done another 12,000.

I'm very happy with the bike, good fuel consumption as already mentioned and a very stable bike.

The only problems which has also been mentioned is that it is difficult to select 4th gear but quite rarely and at times while accelerating it could jump out of gear momentarily, which sucks a bit. Has anybody else experienced this?

That saying I love this bike (well lets not get too carried away) For Thailands roads this is the leader. It is interesting to see may Thais buying automatics (well here in Phuket) Im assuming that it is a status thing, but stand to be corrected.

One modification that I would recommend is increasing the profile of the tires. In indonesia the same Honda wave is sold with higher profile tires which improves the bump absorption giving you a smoother ride, especially if you are carrying a few extra fat farang pounds, and reduces the changes of punctures. So 80/90 rear, 70/90 front, I stuck with the Dunlops which I am quite happy with even though they cost a few extra bath, I think about 500baht each.

Don't care for the one I bought new last year, though it's my first bike and I can't compare. Certainly has plenty of power. But I find it hard to start and don't like the shifting. I wish I had got an electric start and fully auto and may trade it in the future or get a pickup. I'm getting a little old and don't really like machines much so my comments won't apply to everyone.

Swelters

Edited by Swelters

eljeque, which Auction did you pick up your wave?

Do you know if their are any action houses in Phuket?

I live in Pattaya and bought it at the auction every few weeks at Bog C South Pattaya

I do not know the name of the auction house.

It is an outlet for finance companies.

Sorry that I cannot be of any help... BUT!!!!

When you do buy at an auction, you must know where the bike is from, because if it is from far away, the cost of registering it into your name locally means either taking the bike all the way to where ever it is from , or paying a major motorbike shop to take care of the paperwork for you = 3,000 baht.

When there is an auction, the paperwork on the bike will state the location of registration and maybe also the fee for registering it. The auction house may or may not be willing to take care of it for a fee.

Swelters. what gasoline are you putting in ya bike and do you use it every day?

The reason for asking is simple. If you are using E10/gasahol 91/gasahol 95. then that is probably your problem with the poor starting. Switch to standard 91 and it should be a lot better after a tankful or so. The gasahol is ok if used every day but if left can gum up the works, a few people have had similar problems and changing gas cured it.