Focus Tdci Ghia Vs Civic 2.0 Vs City Sv

NewtoBKK

Hi All,

I am still in the process of deciding which car to get, and have narrowed it down to 3 main choices:

1. Focus TDCI - Rave reviews, but seems a little underpowered to me at under 140 bhp (around 11s for 0-100km/hr acceleration). And, demand for this car is low, which translates into poor resale value!
  2. Civic 2.0 - Decent performance (around 9s for 0-100km/hr acceleration), but not particularly interesting or exciting, but it's a safe choice in Thailand.
  3. City SV - Around 12s for 0-100 acceleration but costs 30+% less than the Civic and Focus, and a very safe choice in Thailand!

So, I would greatly appreciate any advice you guys on (before I make my final purchase decision):

• What and where is the best deal that can be gotten for these cars (beyond the stated list price and usual freebies like registration, tints, insurance...)?
  • Can any of these cars be "modified" for better power? Another forumer, Culicine, mentioned that the Focus can be rechipped to deliver more power... Where can this be done? Will the warranty be voided if not done at the dealership? At what price and to what power?
  • Any real world experience (including resale and servcing) you might have for these cars

Thanks!

Edited by NewtoBKK

I think you will find the focus diesel is much closer to the civic in terms of 0-100 times. Both would leave the city behind. The pro's for the focus is that the diesel can be midifed to get much more HP and torque, and as standard would be much cheaper to run than the civic. The con is the resale value. Not sure about after sales service.

PhilipM could fill you in on modifications for a focus, as he deals a lot with turbo diesels. But yes I would imagine the warranty would be voided. The K20Z of the civic would be harder to modify, I would imagine.

Edited by culicine

If you do a lot of driving it's a no brainer. You'll get about 40 percent better fuel economy with the Ford diesel. I'll never buy another gasoline powered vehicle again.

It depends how long you want it for, how much driving you do and whether you can hack living with a diesel. To be honest, if you are worried about 0-60 then none of these motors is for you but all are more than adequate for 99% of people.

You have to do the maths if money is important and work out a total ownership cost over X years based on your mileage.

I resume you have driven them all and found them all equally nice or you'd have a favourite.

As for mods, bang goes your warranty.

If you want decent mid-range performance and quick pick up in the real world a turbo diesel is for you. In ordinary traffic it will leave revvy whirly gasoline engines of equivalent power for dead. The Focus is the best handling car in its class.

If you want decent mid-range performance and quick pick up in the real world a turbo diesel is for you. In ordinary traffic it will leave revvy whirly gasoline engines of equivalent power for dead. The Focus is the best handling car in its class.

I have a 2007 Focus Ghia and can tell you that it is indeed the best handling car I have ever had. I do regret that it is not a diesel. I had no idea that a diesel would be offered in 2008. :o

For average driving the diesel will blow the doors off a gasoline engine. If you are a driver that likes to use the gears to keep the revs VERY high, the 2.0 liter gasoline engine may have the edge. The mid range torque of the diesel makes average driving and passing much easier.

Thanks all for your replies.

I will not be driving the car often... mostly on weekends within BKK and some road trips to nearby places like Khaoyai, etc... every few weeks or so.

The Focus would be my car of choice if its residual/used value wasn't an issue.

Given that I just wouldn't know when I'll have to leave thailand (given these difficult times!), perhaps I should stick with the City SV and be done with it.

If you only use it for weekend driving, then it would seem that the 'fun factor' is quite important. The 2.0 Civic has a quality cabin and is great fun to drive! The Focus is a very good motor, though I admit I haven't driven the TDCi, though interior and build quality isn't quite so high (but given the lack of use, that might not be an issue?).

It's personal choice of style/loos too - again for me, the exterior/interior style has to 'turn me on' for me to enjoy the driving of the car. The Focus isn't ugly, but the Civic is sexy :-)

The City is the wise man's choice as you'll get the build quality and excellent consumption figures.

I had a 2.0 Civic (as if you couldn't guess) and driving sanely over distance would get 600km on a tank.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
Hi All,

I am still in the process of deciding which car to get, and have narrowed it down to 3 main choices:

1. Focus TDCI - Rave reviews, but seems a little underpowered to me at under 140 bhp (around 11s for 0-100km/hr acceleration). And, demand for this car is low, which translates into poor resale value!
  2. Civic 2.0 - Decent performance (around 9s for 0-100km/hr acceleration), but not particularly interesting or exciting, but it's a safe choice in Thailand.
  3. City SV - Around 12s for 0-100 acceleration but costs 30+% less than the Civic and Focus, and a very safe choice in Thailand!

So, I would greatly appreciate any advice you guys on (before I make my final purchase decision):

• What and where is the best deal that can be gotten for these cars (beyond the stated list price and usual freebies like registration, tints, insurance...)?
  • Can any of these cars be "modified" for better power? Another forumer, Culicine, mentioned that the Focus can be rechipped to deliver more power... Where can this be done? Will the warranty be voided if not done at the dealership? At what price and to what power?
  • Any real world experience (including resale and servcing) you might have for these cars

Thanks!

It sounds like you are interested in a drivers car. In that case the top 2 cars in that class in the world are Mazda 3 and VW golf. Both are superior to the other cars you mentioned and would get a 0-100 kph in around 9 secs. Low km mazda 3's sell second hand for around 600,000 baht in bkk.

Mazda are very reliable and more fun to drive than toyotas and even the honda civic. test drive and see for yourself. make sure you get a 2.0 litre model, not 1.6 litre

Civic is the one, I had a 2 litre but sold it when I needed something a little bigger. its comfortable, quick, and has good looks. but I never had 600 Kilo to a tank. the best I had was 520 Kilos.

the new City is a better looking car than the old model but I still wouldnt have one.

the Ford may be a good car, I do not know. hondas are built better though.

Thanks all for your replies.

I will not be driving the car often... mostly on weekends within BKK and some road trips to nearby places like Khaoyai, etc... every few weeks or so.

The Focus would be my car of choice if its residual/used value wasn't an issue.

Given that I just wouldn't know when I'll have to leave thailand (given these difficult times!), perhaps I should stick with the City SV and be done with it.

Seems to me you weren't really interested in the best car, just wanted to justify buying the cheapest.

Why get a new car?

I just got a 1-year old Chev and saved myself app 500.000 bath, still having 2 years warranty left on it.

The Ford focus Diesel have won best in its class in Europe, and with low 2nd hand prices would be my choice.

Saw a new one last year at a dealer, so they should be up for resale soon as a lot of rich Thai just keep their cars for 1 year, thats how I got mine, just had to pay the insurance for this year over the agreed price, nothing to register or tax the car.

A poor resale value can actually be a good thing!

Tommy

Why get a new car?

I just got a 1-year old Chev and saved myself app 500.000 bath, still having 2 years warranty left on it.

The Ford focus Diesel have won best in its class in Europe, and with low 2nd hand prices would be my choice.

Saw a new one last year at a dealer, so they should be up for resale soon as a lot of rich Thai just keep their cars for 1 year, thats how I got mine, just had to pay the insurance for this year over the agreed price, nothing to register or tax the car.

Tommy

saving 500k on a one year old Chev? it must of been in an accident. and I have never seen a rich Thai drive a Ford.

Why get a new car?

Tommy

saving 500k on a one year old Chev? it must of been in an accident. and I have never seen a rich Thai drive a Ford.

Took it to a dealership garage for a check-up before we bought it, no accidents, and I was there while they were checking it.

I do know cars and have dismissed 20 or so due to problems I found, so no need to bring thoose to a garage for a thorough check

Chev just have a poor resale value for some reason..

Try reading some posts about Chev Vs Isuzu pickups, they are virtually the same car, built in the same factory.

So only poor Thai buy Ford Focus then :) ? Think again, its a really good automobile, I would prefer one to the Captiva but i needed 7 seats (big family).

Tommy

Ford diesel and 2l Civics are fastest cars in Thailand (along with new 2l Altis)

There's nothing special about Mazda 3 except looks. When I read first reviews when it came out in the US, they all said 2l engine was underpowered, and Thai journos said the same thing - engine is the worst part of that car. It would have been different if we were offered 2.3l here.

There's also 2l Mitsu, with CVT they are quite fast, but the model is really really old.

I don't know if they sell Golfs here at all. VW practically stopped functioning as a business years ago.

In everyday traffic diesel would blow away any gasoline motor, not that anyone would complain about Civic either.

I think Ford's interior is a bit utilitarian, love Civic's two-tiered instrument panel with blue lights.

There are so many Civics on the road that I don't know what is sexy about them, and 2l looks exactly the same as 1.8. Fords are not something to turn your head at, too, but still tasteful and "unusual".

Finally, with a pickup truck you'll have great many questions - 2wd, 4wd, two door, four door, 2.5l, 3l, equipment level, makes - it's a nightmare for beginners.

Having my time over again, I'd be on the lookout for a second hand diesel focus. at 1.1M new they are pretty expensive, and they should depreciate fast. As yet, haven't seen any of the new model on the second hand car websites though. Even my 5 y.o 2.0 civic is advertised for over 500K on these sites. No way would I buy a honda/toyota second hard. Best to buy new for those cars. As for the mazda, the engine isn't that refined, though the driving dynamics, along with the focus, should be better than the civic (had to change out my springs to improve the ride in mine). The focus also has lots of scope for improved performance, with options to increase HP and torque quite easily.

Gosh... This thread has come alive again!

Sorry najman, I have to agree with culicine... I am not quite impressed with Mazda's engines, except perhaps the MPS range (which isn't available in Thailand). And the fact that the non-MPS and non-RX Mazdas have low power-to-weight ratios, well....

VW/Audi is clearly superior, especially with its TFSI engines and DSG gearboxes, but it's almost a different price range entirely and for some reason (taxes I presume), Thailand only has the lower spec'ed ones (eg. 1.8TFSI and not the newer 2.0TFSI or diesel, etc...)

Chunkton... It's about optimising what I am happy to spend for a car in Thailand, and not about justifying the cheapest - There's a subtle yet distinct difference. And if you'll note my title, "best" is used in relation to "value-for-money".... I wouldn't consider any of these cars "best"... not by a long shot.

63Tommy1 - it makes sense to look at a used tdci, but...

culicine - yup... have not seen any used tdci ghias around either!

Plus - I'll probably get crucified for this, but.... I'll never buy a Toyota! There's a limit to the compromises I'm willing to make! :)

63Tommy1 - it makes sense to look at a used tdci, but...

culicine - yup... have not seen any used tdci ghias around either!

Jai jen jen, if you wait they will come.

6-speed Automatic as standard, that´s impressive. I want one!

Well maybe next year?

Tommy

If you want to save a lot of money, get the best residual value, and trick out a beauty car for cheap, the City is the best choice.

We recently bought one, put full skirting and front and rear spoilers, custom mags, and it turns heads everywhere we go.

It is very tight. The only complaint I have is that it has some type of fuel saving feature where is shifts early (auto transmission) at low speeds and feels like it's missing a little, but just takes some getting used to.