Time for a new passport

I think i am probably safe, but a clean passport would sure give me a little peace of mind. (I know I was extremely naive, but without even thinking that it migth be illegal, I used a visa agency awhile back). Are they only issued at the embassy or do consulates issue passports too? With a birth certificate and other ID, is it an automatic that I will be granted my new passport?

I also think that there is something to this argument that the government had implied over the years that the visa agencies would be tolerated. After all, prostitution is illegal too. But obviously, the governemnt has implied it will be tolerated. If they began rounding up all those who have ever sold their services and all those who had ever indulged, Thailand would be a very quiet country indeed and I think we would all have the right to be a little pissed off. In all cases where the legal reality and legal practice vary, isn't a widespread warning in order before they start arresting people?

i think that if you get a new passport in thailand from your embassy or consulate (by the way,what is the difference between an embassy and a consulate?)you will have to go to the immigration dept for them to put an "entry" stamp in,ie,to validate your being here.they will want to know your actual date of entry, if that date was not a legitimate entry then it will not be on the immigration computer and you may have some difficult questions to answer.

there is someone on this board who seems to have up to date and reliable info re. passports and visas etc. and posts a lot,i forget his name, maybe he will confirm that.

When you get ypur new passport, you will have to take it to immigration in Bkk and get a stamp there, because without stamp you could not leave the country.

And the officers will have a look into their computer, where they will find all the information about your bordercrossings.

If one of your stamps was indeed a fake they will see that one month you didn't leave the country but left it a month later. So you should have paid an overstay , but that did not happen as well.

So in the end they will know that you have used such a service.

I was thinking about that option as well, since one of my stamps might be a fake too.

I don't know what are the real solutions know???

Maybe somebody has an idea?

One might leave over land to Vietnam and leave from there via the airport. Then one could get a new passport at home.

:o

Taxexile,

A consulate's function is to represent the well-being of its citizens in the foreign country and perhaps to issue visas whilst an embassy not only fulfils that function, but also conducts relations with the foreign government, fosters trade links etc. The embassy will always be situated in the foreign country's capital city and represented by an ambassador whilst a consulate is often located in a provincial city.

The situation is further complicated when dealing with Commonwealth countries as their missions to each other are know as High Commissions/Deputy High Commissions. So one does not go to the British embassy in Kuala Lumpur but the British high commission.

Regards,

Scouse.