Powerhouse Gym

Earl

Does anyone know about this gym? I just recently moved to the Nimman area and this was the closest gym. I went in and next to the receptionist was this organizational chart and at the top was "JESUS". Jesus as CEO? of a gym? I thought maybe it was a branch of the YMCA but that can't be it. What is with this gym? I left.

Well that's exactly what I would say ... Jeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzes!!!, when I see all those machines. And THEN I would leave. :):D

hhhhm, actually that's a blunt lie, I would say: Holy moly, and leave.

Go to chiangmai forum entry page, bottom left that page see "search forum".

In "enter keywords" type in "powerhouse" - see various prior threads ...

the last thread - to which UG refers - was only last week I think

Does anyone know about this gym? I just recently moved to the Nimman area and this was the closest gym. I went in and next to the receptionist was this organizational chart and at the top was "JESUS". Jesus as CEO? of a gym? I thought maybe it was a branch of the YMCA but that can't be it. What is with this gym? I left.

I've been going to Powerhouse for about 3 years now and it's my favourite gym in CM. I'm also a member of California Wow (because it's so cheap), but rarely go there as I much prefer PH (fewer people, better air-con, better maintained equipment, better & safer changing rooms, good location). Not sure who the Jesus guy is you saw at the top of the list. As for UG hearing that it had got out of business, no it hasn't. In fact, it's going to be moving across the street into the Punna Plaza in around July/August where it will have two floors (as opposed to one) and possibly a swimming pool. Daytime membership is 8,000 Baht per year, whereas I paid 12,000 Baht for 11 years at California Wow (but you have to share the gym with half of CM it seems!). If you're thinking of joining either one then just ask them for a free workout before you decide.

Edited by Scrubber

"Jesus" (hey-zeus) is also a common Latino name.

I previously used hotel fitness center memberships to avoid the pack-'em-in mentality at the franchises. Promotions (i.e. discount membership rate, F&B/room discounts, etc.) on hotel fitness center membership can often be found. Although I didn't answer your question directly, other forum members may read this and choose to research alternative membership choices in their area.

A member me self, never noticed any organization chart in there.  Jesus as the CEO? that would be really weird.  I thought the place is owned by an American.

I've been going to Powerhouse for about 3 years now and it's my favourite gym in CM. I'm also a member of California Wow (because it's so cheap), but rarely go there as I much prefer PH (fewer people, better air-con, better maintained equipment, better & safer changing rooms, good location). Not sure who the Jesus guy is you saw at the top of the list. As for UG hearing that it had got out of business, no it hasn't. In fact, it's going to be moving across the street into the Punna Plaza in around July/August where it will have two floors (as opposed to one) and possibly a swimming pool. Daytime membership is 8,000 Baht per year, whereas I paid 12,000 Baht for 11 years at California Wow (but you have to share the gym with half of CM it seems!). If you're thinking of joining either one then just ask them for a free workout before you decide.

It's pretty limited on aerobic machines though, a few treadmills and stationary bikes, one low quality elliptical and one low quality stepper. You can watch television while on the aerobic machines, but all you can listen to is the loud music they play, usually the kind of stuff you hear in discos.

Powerhouse is a good Gym. The pass falong workers were Christians, but thank God no preaching. They have a "Cross" near the front door.

The American company sold it and now it's owned by a Thai which is a Christian. Yes like posted above

they are moving across the street.

I enjoy the gym, my wife loves the classes, like Step Class and Yoga, fun little gym if not a we bit expensive.

Not sure who you are Scrubber but I go there most days so see you soon.....:)

Well, I had some friends that went there mostly because it was convent for them and I decided to join up although it was inconvenient for me but I don't like going to the gym alone. In any event I got blasted in the face by one of the staff with stuff about the CEO (Jesus) and never returned. If I wanted a sermon I would have gone to a place of religion not a gym.

Well, I had some friends that went there mostly because it was convent for them and I decided to join up although it was inconvenient for me but I don't like going to the gym alone. In any event I got blasted in the face by one of the staff with stuff about the CEO (Jesus) and never returned. If I wanted a sermon I would have gone to a place of religion not a gym.

I had a similar experience, I'm not big on religious people not in the least and I think the gentleman trying to school me in religion learned very quickly to keep a distance. When my membership expired I did not renew it I guess it was god's will...

If you can afford it, it's really difficult to beat Powerhouse's equipment. I don't just mean the machines - they have all the free weights and equipment for body-movement exercises that most people should need. As long as you don't expect a bouldering wall, parallel bars, a punching bag, or other sport-specific equipment, you shouldn't be disappointed. It's also obviously super convenient to those of us along Nimman.

Does this gym (or any other gym in cm) have a respectable selection of free weights and a squat rack? By respectable i mean 30kg+ dumbells and 25kg plates for barbells.

Powerhouse has dumbells that go up to 70 lbs (if I remember correctly) and it has a squat rack. The largest plates are 45 lbs. It has three benches for bench prench - flat, decline and incline - and also has a military press (there are also five mobile benches - flat & adjustable). I go there primarily for the weights and there are more than enough for me. I'm not a 'muscle freak', but I have seen some serious lifters in there.

Edited by Scrubber

Does this gym (or any other gym in cm) have a respectable selection of free weights and a squat rack? By respectable i mean 30kg+ dumbells and 25kg plates for barbells.

Powerhouse has dumbells that go up to 70 lbs (if I remember correctly) and it has a squat rack. The largest plates are 45 lbs. It has three benches for bench prench - flat, decline and incline - and also has a military press (there are also five mobile benches - flat & adjustable). I go there primarily for the weights and there are more than enough for me. I'm not a 'muscle freak', but I have seen some serious lifters in there.

Great info, thanks. Will check it out.

Earl... (I wonder if we're related?)

I find your original posting quite interesting. It appears that you left because they had "Jesus" on the organizational chart. While agree it's tacky, what's the big deal? If you're going to boycott business that have religious icons or names on display, you'll end up house bound. I've never seen a business in Thailand without some kind of religious symbol in the shop.

I had some friends that went there mostly because it was convent for them.

Jesus is the CEO and nuns are trainers?

Now that's what I call a Freudian slip! Poor old idrankwhat must have gotten the snot knocked out of him by a penguin or two.