Cm - What A Nice Place

jasreeve18

After living in Thailand for 7 years I finally made my first trip to CM (I was asked to do a bit of work then stayed on an extra week to kick back), and what a lovely experience. What the hel_l have I been doing in Bangkok all those years???

In a few days in CM I met more decent expats than over all my previous time here throughout the entire nation.

Nice food, nice people, interesting places to go, light traffic, endless daytrip / longer options, conversation with 'normal' people, thought through political opinions, good value accom, beautiful ladies, clean air (yes, it's true), relaxed environment, easy to negotiate city layout...

I've really enjoyed my experience, met great people and plan to come back soon. I'm sorry I missed the Thaivisa CM meet-up, but I rarely peruse this sight any more and didn't realise. To think I could of met the (in)famous BB!

Just wanted to praise the place and the people, much deserved.

I'm sorry I missed the Thaivisa CM meet-up, but I rarely peruse this sight any more and didn't realise. To think I could of met the (in)famous BB!

Thank you for your kind words. I would like to take some credit for your having met only wonderful people in Chiangmai, as I was obviously not among them. :)

More importantly, if you do not know, you should, that there will be a another blow-out TV meet-up in Chiangmai in early June. There is a separate thread about it, which should not be hard to find. However, you will not, I think, be able to meet BB there, as I understand he will not be able to attend this time.

After living in Thailand for 7 years I finally made my first trip to CM (I was asked to do a bit of work then stayed on an extra week to kick back), and what a lovely experience. What the hel_l have I been doing in Bangkok all those years???

In a few days in CM I met more decent expats than over all my previous time here throughout the entire nation.

Nice food, nice people, interesting places to go, light traffic, endless daytrip / longer options, conversation with 'normal' people, thought through political opinions, good value accom, beautiful ladies, clean air (yes, it's true), relaxed environment, easy to negotiate city layout...

I've really enjoyed my experience, met great people and plan to come back soon. I'm sorry I missed the Thaivisa CM meet-up, but I rarely peruse this sight any more and didn't realise. To think I could of met the (in)famous BB!

a good policy is fly into Bangkok and change planes to CM ..... been doing this for a very long time... bangkok is when you need to source new supplies but now with the internet it is even easier to avoid .

a good policy is fly into Bangkok and change planes to CM ..... been doing this for a very long time... bangkok is when you need to source new supplies but now with the internet it is even easier to avoid .

Or if you just miss the big city and want a good dose of stress for the weekend.

I arrived back in Bangkok today, and how dam_n depressing :) (I won't bother recounting my journey home from the station, but suffice to say it was horrible).

To be honest the biggest things I'll miss are good food and good company with the easy availability of wonderful day (2 /3 / 4) trip options.

The differance in quality of life between BK and CM is huuuuuuuuuge in my opinion. I can't actually see any Bk benefits over CM other than the work aspects (quite a bigger).

Their was a big difference in people. Okay, you can meet nice Thais everywhere if you make a tiny effort (excluding a couple of 'special' places), but the foreign folk that live in CM were so, normal. I always thought that Thailand's foreigners were 95% complete losers. I can't unhonestly say I met anyone who was other than chatty, decent and friendly in CM. Okay their was one large, old and very miserable looking guy in the Olde Bell one day who wouldn't return my smile, but he was heavily engrossed in a 'mixed meat' 385 baht Sunday lunch which is quite a challenge and needs your full concentration.

I agree with the comments that CM is amply big enough as a city - everything is available.

So come on guys some people say its very polluted including the net,and some say fresh air.I love Chiang Mai but have been put off by the pollution.Living in Pattaya for 6 years and i DO love the place but sometimes we all need a different place

. . . I always thought that Thailand's foreigners were 95% complete losers. I can't unhonestly say I met anyone who was other than chatty, decent and friendly in CM. . . .

If you want to preserve your current impression of Chiangmai, I advise you strongly under no circumstances to start a discussion on this forum about a restaurant.

Edited by Rasseru

I Okay their was one large, old and very miserable looking guy in the Olde Bell one day who wouldn't return my smile, but he was heavily engrossed in a 'mixed meat' 385 baht Sunday lunch which is quite a challenge and needs your full concentration.

7 years in Thailand - 3 posts, this one extolling the virtues of a (much recently mentioned) local hostelry including specials and price . . . .

call me cynical, but can anyone smell troll?

David

Okay their was one large, old and very miserable looking guy in the Olde Bell one day who wouldn't return my smile, but he was heavily engrossed in a 'mixed meat' 385 baht Sunday lunch which is quite a challenge and needs your full concentration.

I hope that wasn't our dear UG! :)

I am usually pleasant to pretty much anyone who is pleasant to me.

There is aircon at OB, but they also leave the whole front of the store open, so it is virtually useless. It is possible that if I were hot and sweaty enough, I might ignore someone trying to attract my attention, but I have never, ever had the Sunday roast at the Olde Belle. :)

Edited by Ulysses G.

I Okay their was one large, old and very miserable looking guy in the Olde Bell one day who wouldn't return my smile, but he was heavily engrossed in a 'mixed meat' 385 baht Sunday lunch which is quite a challenge and needs your full concentration.

7 years in Thailand - 3 posts, this one extolling the virtues of a (much recently mentioned) local hostelry including specials and price . . . .

call me cynical, but can anyone smell troll?

David

That's not very nice Dave.

But, my new pleasant self will ignore the call of 'troll' and simply ask you to check out my twin brother who is one less than I (Let's hasten to add before SJ throws out his dummy that I was never banned, I've just decided to avoid ridiculous forum folk via a reinvention...).

I'm sure that the miserable bloke was not UG, he's one of my favourite posters :) I picked up a Sal Bellow book today UG; Sieze the Day. I really looking forward to reading it.

On the food front, I ate at several Italians (same brand I think? The one in a little square close to Wat Chedi Luang had two lovely waitresses), the Olde Bell, Marco's, UNIrish (breakfast), Deck1 (very nice seafood cheesy samosas and wine) and a really great and highly recommended evening at Khun Khantoke (gotta be one of the best in Thailand). All were very good, much better food / value than I find in Bangkok. The more I think about it the more I like Chiang Mai.

On the food front, I ate at several Italians (same brand I think? The one in a little square close to Wat Chedi Luang had two lovely waitresses), the Olde Bell, Marco's, UNIrish (breakfast), Deck1 (very nice seafood cheesy samosas and wine) and a really great and highly recommended evening at Khun Khantoke (gotta be one of the best in Thailand). All were very good, much better food / value than I find in Bangkok. The more I think about it the more I like Chiang Mai.

OMG, this innocent little thread is now showing all the usual signs, of turning into yet-another 'food-thread'. :D

Run for the Hills ! Lock-up your Rimping Super-Saver Card ! :)

i ate excellent, cheap, Thai food and fish last night at a very fancy place I'd never seen nor heard, and won't mention it here. But the waiters were pretty, pretty boys that we call friends.

Bad pollution two months per year that bothers 16% of us - Sala Daeng is far worse. Mountain views...we came within one foot of Burma last month - easy, safe, fast bike riding on good freeways. Lovely. Y'all come up and see us - just don't all arrive at once.

• 2 weeks later...

clean air & light traffic ? you were'nt in chiang mai ...your dreaming boy ..

i ate excellent, cheap, Thai food and fish last night at a very fancy place I'd never seen nor heard, and won't mention it here. But the waiters were pretty, pretty boys that we call friends.

Go on, PB, throw caution to the wind and tell us where this little gem can be found! :)

[...]

The OP was here in May, low season and long after the March pollution. You ought to go outside once in a while :)

/ Priceless

I just can't get over how pretty your pussy is Hoke Priceless. :D

[...]

The OP was here in May, low season and long after the March pollution. You ought to go outside once in a while :)

/ Priceless

She looks bored. :) Do you make her sit through rants on statistics and PowerPoint slides with graphs?

I guess you're not a cat person :D In fact, she was intently watching her mother and younger brother, trying to decide whether to go outside and join them.

/ Priceless

She looks bored. :) Do you make her sit through rants on statistics and PowerPoint slides with graphs?

Maybe someone else snuck in his house and lectured her about polllution in Chiang Mai? Priceless is anything but boring! :D

Isn't she though! And this is her daughter:

post-20094-1243482353_thumb.jpg

I know, I know :)

/ Priceless

She looks over fed, just as I suspect all the restaurant experts here probably are... :D:D:D