As Much As I Hate Mowing Lawns . . .

MJP

Hello happy Issan folks,

I have found some wonderful plant shops around Roi-Et, pot plants for 45 Baht, big palms for around 1000 Baht . . . Heaven!

But I cannot for the life of me find grass seed. I'm looking for Malay Grass seed, anywhere around the Roi-Et area.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

I live down in the Buriram area and wanted grass, in the States I tried grass seed but was never 100% happy. I spoke with a local plant store and purchased sod for 25 Bht a square, I had a sprinkle system installed and am !00% happy with the results, I used Village ladies for the work and while the grass was expensive the saving in labor cost helped with the expense.

I purchased another lot from a different dealer for another area at a lower price and the quality just wasn't there and it does not look nearly as good. So the cheaper price was not worth it for me.

I hire a neighbor boy to mow my lawn every Saturday. :)

I live down in the Buriram area and wanted grass, in the States I tried grass seed but was never 100% happy. I spoke with a local plant store and purchased sod for 25 Bht a square, I had a sprinkle system installed and am !00% happy with the results, I used Village ladies for the work and while the grass was expensive the saving in labor cost helped with the expense.

I purchased another lot from a different dealer for another area at a lower price and the quality just wasn't there and it does not look nearly as good. So the cheaper price was not worth it for me.

Yes I must say local labour is cheap, until you've been to the shop for the fifth time for beers.

Thanks for replying to this.

I can get turf. That price of 25 Baht a square, is 0.25 sq.m?, so 100 Baht a sq.m is about right. I may turf the front, but the back is quite big and that'll be expensive I think, around 30,000 Baht. We live in hard times.

Cheers.

Yes I must say local labour is cheap, until you've been to the shop for the fifth time for beers.

I can get turf. That price of 25 Baht a square, is 0.25 sq.m?, so 100 Baht a sq.m is about right. I may turf the front, but the back is quite big and that'll be expensive I think, around 30,000 Baht. We live in hard times.

Cheers.

It will be 25 baht Sq M and you should get 2 sods to 1 Sq m. A year a go i turfed my garden, 300 Sq M and cost 6000 baht for turf at 20 baht Sq M. If you are paying 100 baht Sq M i would expect a Bowling Green in Thailand :D

Cheers.

It will be 25 baht Sq M and you should get 2 sods to 1 Sq m. A year a go i turfed my garden, 300 Sq M and cost 6000 baht for turf at 20 baht Sq M. If you are paying 100 baht Sq M i would expect a Bowling Green in Thailand :D

You sir! You are a beautiful person!

I've about 300 Sqm to do myself. At 6000 Baht, it'll be done tomorrow.

I thank you kind sir.

Cheers.

I thank you kind sir.

Ive got about 600sqm of lawn, I bought the Malaysion which was 25baht sqm but they also do the Chineese which is about 30...in hindsight I wish I had bought that as think it looks better....

We bought 630 square meters of Japanese grass in Udorn. It cost us 35 baht per meter but they delivered it some 90 kilometers.

I then hired five local people to lay it down the next day and, viola, we had a lawn. Came up about 10 meters short but we made do.

It seems to be a slower growing grass that stays green.

Edit in: We bought a gasoline mower at Home Pro and my wife does the mowing. I sit on the front porch and sip iced tea so I don't get too hot. :)

Edited by chuckd

I also have a love/hate relationship with my lawn.

My Thai neighbors prefer the dirt look. Dusty for 4 months a year, muddy for four months and just plain dirt the last four.

They marvel at how low the upkeep is. :)

Those clever Thais.

Cheers.

I thank you kind sir.

Ive got about 600sqm of lawn, I bought the Malaysion which was 25baht sqm but they also do the Chineese which is about 30...in hindsight I wish I had bought that as think it looks better....

Was that seed or turf?

Thanks

Edited by MJP

Look in the shop house seed shops usually near the markets as most of them have grass seed. I’ve looked around for grass seed. I was fobbed off a couple of times and told to buy turf.

Years ago I was told the sale of grass seed was restricted as they were worried about farming land being damaged by unwanted grass. The wife assures me grass seed is available and can be bought by anyone. I hope to buy some seed in the next few weeks.

Look in the shop house seed shops usually near the markets as most of them have grass seed. I've looked around for grass seed. I was fobbed off a couple of times and told to buy turf.

Years ago I was told the sale of grass seed was restricted as they were worried about farming land being damaged by unwanted grass. The wife assures me grass seed is available and can be bought by anyone. I hope to buy some seed in the next few weeks.

Many thanks.

Sister is on a mission tomorrow in the truck!

Got it!

Well tomorrow. But get this

Normal grass turf = 20 Baht a square metre

Malay grass turf = 35 Baht a square metre

Have a look at the attachment. All you Issan folks will already know this but those on the Eastern Seaboard and Phuket areas tell me plants are expensive.

I got this lot for 3000 Baht.

Plants_and_flowers.pdf

Hi guys,

I live in korat and the cost of grass here are as follow :-

1) Local grass = 14 bahts/m2

2) Japanese grass = 18 bahts/m2

3) Malaysian grass = 24 bahts/m2

I bought local grass and my wife did the laying all by herself.

P1080289.jpg

Total cost of material (sod and sand) 2000 bahts...labour "Free" :)

Hi guys,

I live in korat and the cost of grass here are as follow :-

1) Local grass = 14 bahts/m2

2) Japanese grass = 18 bahts/m2

3) Malaysian grass = 24 bahts/m2

I bought local grass and my wife did the laying all by herself.

P1080289.jpg

Total cost of material (sod and sand) 2000 bahts...labour "Free" :)

Many thanks.

I'll look around again.

Cheers.