Lxde, Ubuntu 9.04 Ethernet Not Working

livinthailandos

Heres what happen. I have a acer aspire one, with ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix installed, I went ahead and also installed LXDE which is a light weight version of a desktop, so far so good gnome and lxde internet working fine no problems. In synpatics package manager I installed a network manager for lxde after that ethernet and wireless quit working I now have eth0 disconnected, any ideas on how to get my ethernet working have already searched online no luck. If can't get this fixed I will just wind up having to reinstall the entire os again which I've done many times before. Linux is a good system but sometimes I don't know weither to keep trying on it as it would seem you do the slightest changes and when you can't fix the problem, then its time to reinstall the entire os and start all over again. I wish I had the chance to attend some linux meetings back home as I would ask tons of questions. Any help would be useful

First you need to see what the story is.

ifconfig eth0

And you may want to try this.

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Any mention of your ethernet connection? Try this and check out any errors.

sudo ifdown eth0

And to, hopefully, bring it back up try this.

sudo ifup eth0

First you need to see what the story is.

ifconfig eth0[/code
all packets, errors, overruns=0

And you may want to try this.
[code]cat /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

Any mention of your ethernet connection? Try this and check out any errors.

sudo ifdown eth0

interface eth0 not configured

And to, hopefully, bring it back up try this.

sudo ifup eth0

ignoring unknown interface eth0=eth0

I'm going to have to know which network manager you've installed. And just out of curiousity, when you say 'eth0' you ARE talking about the ethernet, right? Because that was the assumption I was going on and if faulty would explain why my help wasn't helpful...

Hello Livinthailandos,

Can you try another option, click with the right mouse button on your network connection. You network connection is the little 2-monitors in the top-right-screen-corner. Then edit the connection eth0, and look for the Mack address.

Then click on the original window, where you selected eth0, and create there a new connection... copy the mack address into the appropriate field and tell how you want to connect (I guess you use automatic assigning of IP address)...

If the new connection connects to the network/Internet you can deleted the eth0 or leave it...

It is possible that somehow you lost your Mac address during the changing of packages. The get the Mac address back you need to open a terminal...

And in the terminal you enter "sudo ifconfig -a" (then look on the picture below to see which is the Mac address...)

post-12170-1242988590_thumb.png

Edited by Richard-BKK

Heres what happen. I have a acer aspire one, with ubuntu 9.04 netbook remix installed, I went ahead and also installed LXDE which is a light weight version of a desktop, so far so good gnome and lxde internet working fine no problems. In synpatics package manager I installed a network manager for lxde after that ethernet and wireless quit working I now have eth0 disconnected, any ideas on how to get my ethernet working have already searched online no luck. If can't get this fixed I will just wind up having to reinstall the entire os again which I've done many times before. Linux is a good system but sometimes I don't know weither to keep trying on it as it would seem you do the slightest changes and when you can't fix the problem, then its time to reinstall the entire os and start all over again. I wish I had the chance to attend some linux meetings back home as I would ask tons of questions. Any help would be useful

If things stopped working after you installed the lxde network manager, I'd try installing it. There shouldn't be any need to reinstall the OS, although lxde isn't supported software so it might be doing something evil that doesn't back out properly. You can try reinstalling the network-manager package - that might put things back the way they are supposed to be.

Just my nickel as it may save your mind - Special K is a basketcase - I have 12 O/S running & it is the only one that breaks all the time.

I wont bore you with the sordids, but simply try MDV Spring or PCLinuxOS 2009.1 or Puppy4.xx - or any other flavor.

That is simply the quickest way out of hel_l.

Kubuntu 904 is the first one in say 2 years - nothing has changed - it is simply worse with 4.xx

BR>Jack

I know very little about linux, but what if you try to log in with the original desktop? It should still be there and you can try to fix network using the original tools. Should be alt-shift-backspace and look for "session" options.

Afaik network settings load with the kernel, before starting any kind of desktop, once you get them right, you should be online already when you start your lxde.

Maybe you didn't get all the necessary lxde packages - try task-lxde, it should update about a dozen packages, some are not obviously related.

I'm installing lxde on Pclinuxos as I type, let's see how it compares with xfce, let's see if it screws up my network, too.

WiseMan - PCLOS aka MDV is way above the Ubuntu range - as I mentioned, it is the only system I simply dont use - it is actually the worst POS I have come across in 2/3 years. It is akin to a M$ hack. Must be a SA thingy or way too much Kool Aid.

Would like to hear your opinion on your new GUI - I love KDE3.xx - with all the Ginger Bread that B+C+F have to offer

BR>Jack

I tried lxde yesterday - even less features than xface.

Don't know why, but it couldn't browse network and some desktop items were not working anymore, like "My computer". It was there, but no icon and application assossiated with it.