How Do I Make A Will In Thailand, Citizen Of Us

tjansen

Not sure where this question should go. I am living in Thailand on a Retirement Extension. I am from the US. Does anyone know the procedure for:

1) Doing a Will for my assets in a Thai bank account that will go to my chileren in the US.

2) Doing a Living Will, giving instructions on what to do and not do, from a life-sustaining perspective, in case of serious illness or injury.

3) Instructions for disposing of my remains in Thailand (not shipping them back to the US) if I die in Thailand?

Any other suggestions that I am not thinking of would be appreciated.

Tom

My lawyer did this for me in Thai and English if you are interested PM me and I'll give you his details. Everything looks good to me however he is a family visa lawyer also helping with my wife's visa so I don't know if he is the best choice if that's all you want.

Not sure where this question should go. I am living in Thailand on a Retirement Extension. I am from the US. Does anyone know the procedure for:

1) Doing a Will for my assets in a Thai bank account that will go to my chileren in the US.

2) Doing a Living Will, giving instructions on what to do and not do, from a life-sustaining perspective, in case of serious illness or injury.

3) Instructions for disposing of my remains in Thailand (not shipping them back to the US) if I die in Thailand?

Any other suggestions that I am not thinking of would be appreciated.

Tom

Very wise to make a will in Thailand even if you have one in your own country, My wife is a legal consultant and she has done many wills for foreigners we have seen many people have problems with not having a will if you PM I will give you her phone number

My wife is a lawyer and does simple wills very cheap as there in not much to them. As far as a living will (advanced directives) what you would like the hospital to do or not do, I do those FREE, I have forms that are good in Thailand and the USA. PM me if you have interest.

My wife is a lawyer and does simple wills very cheap as there in not much to them. As far as a living will (advanced directives) what you would like the hospital to do or not do, I do those FREE, I have forms that are good in Thailand and the USA. PM me if you have interest.

Thank you for the helpful responses. Sorry for the late reply. I thought I had opted for e-mail notification of responses but I am not getting them. I finally figured out that I am getting responses to my posts but that I need to go in and retrieve them. I have PMed one of the responders and should be able to get the help I was looking for. Thanks again.

Tom

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know if it would be a legal document in Thailand if you take a simple will in English and have it translated into Thai and then have it notarized?

I have a will already in English and if I have it translated I would know that it is saying what I really want. Where if I went to a lawyer I would have to assume he understood what I was saying and then converting it to Thai.

I am just in the process of updating my will prior to retiring to Thailand, which is specific to my UK assets only (which will be the bulk of my estate), as I wished to save my executors the pain of trying to track down whatever I accumulate in Thailand. My solicitor's advice was to make another will in Thailand covering my assets there, which I will leave exclusively to my wife, but to be sure to instruct whoever drafts it not to revoke my English will.