Health Insurance Advice For Expat Retiree?

Next month I will be 60 years old. We plan to retire to Thailand in mid 2010. I have got health insurance quotes from ThaiVisa. My question is whether it is worthwhile for me to buy the insurance now, before I hit 60 even though I will not use it for the coming year. It sounds like I can still get insurance after age 60, depending on a physical exam which I would expect to pass because I in very good health. I would probably take a policy with a large deductible since I can self-insure.

If I were to take a policy after 60 and then have a major illness, would the insurer just refuse to renew me?

Are there any expat retirees out there facing these questions? Most of the discussion seems to be among younger guys.

If you feel happy nothing will happen to you until next year then by all means take the risk but please remember should something untoward happen then there is a very good chance of you being exclude when you do apply.

Once you accept the Underwriters proposal then the insurance company will honour whatever illness you may have – both before and after 60 – as long as it is not excluded on the policy.

Next month I will be 60 years old. We plan to retire to Thailand in mid 2010. I have got health insurance quotes from ThaiVisa. My question is whether it is worthwhile for me to buy the insurance now, before I hit 60 even though I will not use it for the coming year. It sounds like I can still get insurance after age 60, depending on a physical exam which I would expect to pass because I in very good health. I would probably take a policy with a large deductible since I can self-insure.

If I were to take a policy after 60 and then have a major illness, would the insurer just refuse to renew me?

Are there any expat retirees out there facing these questions? Most of the discussion seems to be among younger guys.

I started my BUPA policy before I was 60 and before I became full-time resident because that would ensure I could continue to renew ... although obviously the rates I would be charged would still be at the discretion of the insurance company.

Make sure you don't confuse "health" insurance with "hospital" insurance. My BUPA policy only covers me if admitted to hospital. Generally out-patient care is cheap here and if you pay for out-patient insurance, the maximum coverage isn't a whole lot more than the amount you pay in premiums.

Health insurance companies charge ridiculous amounts for insuring retirees and if you are over 70 refuse to insure you. At 65 they want about BT150k-200k depending on your health.

I go to excellent government hospitals where I could never spend as much as insurance costs however ill I was.

I'm in the same boat as you Capt. but 1 year behind you, I'll hit 60 end of next year and plan to retire in 2011, so this is of interest to me also. I too had thought to get insurance pre-60 even though I wouldn't use it, unless somebody can show me this is really crazy then that's what I plan to do.

DoH.

THAIHEALTH INSURRANCE is a reasonable cost with good coverage. You should get it before 60 though.

I'm in the same boat as you Capt. but 1 year behind you, I'll hit 60 end of next year and plan to retire in 2011, so this is of interest to me also. I too had thought to get insurance pre-60 even though I wouldn't use it, unless somebody can show me this is really crazy then that's what I plan to do.

DoH.

I agree with you toC get the HEALTH OVERAGE( Inpatient mainly) before you turn 60. It is good investment and wont cost much to keep you worry free for unforseen major illness.

• 2 weeks later...

Health insurance companies charge ridiculous amounts for insuring retirees and if you are over 70 refuse to insure you. At 65 they want about BT150k-200k depending on your health.

I go to excellent government hospitals where I could never spend as much as insurance costs however ill I was.

Hi there,

I am a fit 73 yrs old with no known medical conditions. I will be returning to Thailand at the end of this year.

Having decided to take hospital insurance cover, but reading your post i am wondering if it is worthwhile taking this insurance after all.

At the moment i have not got any quotes, but reading other posts in this forum about the cost, i am beginning to wonder! I also intend to get insurance on a vehicle valued around Bht500.000. Will my age also be a big factor.

Hoping someone can give me sound advice on these two matters.

Thank you.

Hi there,

I am a fit 73 yrs old with no known medical conditions. I will be returning to Thailand at the end of this year.

Having decided to take hospital insurance cover, but reading your post i am wondering if it is worthwhile taking this insurance after all.

At the moment i have not got any quotes, but reading other posts in this forum about the cost, i am beginning to wonder! I also intend to get insurance on a vehicle valued around Bht500.000. Will my age also be a big factor.

Thank you.

Thai Visa Insurance can offer you a choice of plans depending on the level of benefit you require - very simple and straight forward. However please note you will need a medical.

Thai Visa can also offer you vehicle insurance both as a 'named driver' and as 'any driver'

Please contact Thai Visa Insurance ; http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Hi there,

Thank you.

Thai Visa Insurance can offer you a choice of plans depending on the level of benefit you require - very simple and straight forward. However please note you will need a medical.

Thai Visa can also offer you vehicle insurance both as a 'named driver' and as 'any driver'

Thanks for the info., i will contact you nearer to the time. However can i have the medical here in OZ or do i have to have it in thailand. Also, i am not familiar with the "named driver" clause. Are there any benifits with this, and is it a brit 'thing'.

Hi there,

Thank you.

I looked at the Thai visa insurance and when I saw the RED writing about below 60 years I thought dam_n, because now I am 60 yrs

In april I had a health check at a private hospital blood tests xray etc etc all okay would this documentation be taken into account. Are we saying I can get a Health Insurance at 60 yrs with Thai visa, the RED writing suggests not ??

I looked at the Thai visa insurance and when I saw the RED writing about below 60 years I thought dam_n, because now I am 60 yrs

In april I had a health check at a private hospital blood tests xray etc etc all okay would this documentation be taken into account. Are we saying I can get a Health Insurance at 60 yrs with Thai visa, the RED writing suggests not ??

Hi macb

Yes, Thai Visa can offer you different medical plans for the over 60's.

Please contact Thai Visa with your requirement either by email or please use the quotation form here