Invited To Family Dinner

G54

I have never thought of this before, but as I have been invited to dinner to 'meet the family' for the first time, is there anything I should take?

In the UK you would maybe take a bottle of wine or something similar. Are there any customs here to observe like that on that first dinner at the parents house?

I am painfully aware of what the meeting itself is for and how to behave, being a helicopter, I have done this several (several?? :) ) times before, so that is not part of the question.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have never thought of this before, but as I have been invited to dinner to 'meet the family' for the first time, is there anything I should take?

In the UK you would maybe take a bottle of wine or something similar. Are there any customs here to observe like that on that first dinner at the parents house?

I am painfully aware of what the meeting itself is for and how to behave, being a helicopter, I have done this several (several?? :) ) times before, so that is not part of the question.

If the family drink then a bottle of something often breaks the ice.

Most of our Thai visitors know that I drink. They always bring a bottle of something, and we do likewise when visiting friends.

Really depends on who they are and what they like. ask your other half is the best bet.

Not much to go on but I would say the farther is not looking to be flattered where as the mother is. If the father is a farmer, whiskey drinking, buffalo lashing man then a bottle of black will do just fine.

If the gentleman in question is of an acquired taste(basiically hiso) I would not bother with a gift for him but mainly concentrate on the mum. I am sure flowers will do just fine, maybe some chocolates if you really want to be a good boy.

So you have done this several times before, yet you ask here what to do ?

What did you do before ?

No NO, don't do that, cos your relationships don't seem to last long, try the exact opposite of what you did before, the results cannot be worse. :D

Not much to go on but I would say the farther is not looking to be flattered where as the mother is. If the father is a farmer, whiskey drinking, buffalo lashing man then a bottle of black will do just fine.

If the gentleman in question is of an acquired taste(basiically hiso) I would not bother with a gift for him but mainly concentrate on the mum. I am sure flowers will do just fine, maybe some chocolates if you really want to be a good boy.

Chocolates are so so not the thing to buy... amateur!

Flowers are good and a bottle of whisky but not J W cus thats everywhere get something decent but not famous here (Bushmills/jack Daniels) and something from your own country.

ie if you are a Brit run down to Boots or M & S and get something from there....

That should do the trick along with your charm and witty personality..

ps don't forget the sin sot that should seal the deal perfectly :)

I had the same question, and I asked my companion what to do. She told me to buy her Mother a gold ring (which cost me about $120), and I gave the Father cash (about $300). The Mother called me cheap, and the Father looked at the money like he didn't know what to do with it. Her Father was a good man, and was proud of the fact that he was "country." I told the Mother that next time I come, I'm going to bring her a ring on wheels, so she'll be able to walk with the ring on. Conclusion: Don't listen to anybody.

Edit: Do what you think is right.

Edited by Shotime

Okay well I took a bottle of whiskey and the farther looked at me and laughed and said what do you think we are alcoholics eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Of course he was just playing around and I expect trying to break the ice and make fun of my mistake. When meeting your future Thai in-laws you I would advise against taking alcohol the first time.

Maybe chocs are a bit amateur, we are not talking mars bars here though.

Okay well I took a bottle of whiskey and the farther looked at me and laughed and said what do you think we are alcoholics eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

quote]

Then you admitted the whiskey was for you as you are an alcoholic and he admired your honesty. :)

Edited by Maigo6

I am sure that your charm, wit and personality will be sufficient for the prospective in laws. Why take anything ?

If you feel that you REALLY need to take a gift/s with you then why not ask your current partner (or an "ex" for that matter) what they think would be a good thing to take. Covers your ar5e nicely :)

Edited by Chaimai

So you have done this several times before, yet you ask here what to do ?

What did you do before ?

No NO, don't do that, cos your relationships don't seem to last long, try the exact opposite of what you did before, the results cannot be worse. :D

9 months erm 6 months and less and less... seems like a lifetime :D

(I'll give this one a couple of weeks, OK?)

As I said, it never occurred to me before.

Flowers are good and a bottle of whisky but not J W cus thats everywhere get something decent but not famous here (Bushmills/jack Daniels) and something from your own country.

ie if you are a Brit run down to Boots or M & S and get something from there....

What???? You come on here with such foul language as 'sin sot' and you are not banned? Why is that (mods?) :D

OMG, marriage?? I need to lie down for a bit, I feel ill.

I am sure that your charm, wit and personality will be sufficient for the prospective in laws. Why take anything ?

If you feel that you REALLY need to take a gift/s with you then why not ask your current partner (or an "ex" for that matter) what they think would be a good thing to take. Covers your ar5e nicely :)

Not sure my phone bill will take to asking my ex's :D

Wait !!! Future in laws???????

hel_l, I have not even got into her knickers yet.

On the other hand, the car she drives is better than my old banger. Her body is just .......

Maybe mum and dad have a big house, lots of cash, and are generous to poor people like me, then it might be an option to stick with it :D

At this rate I'll do what I normally do - as Mr Mgoo said in an earlier post - take nothing. Then it is bound to fail :D

What???? You come on here with such foul language as 'sin sot' and you are not banned? Why is that (mods?) :D

Sorry dude I misunderstood i thought you were going to meet them for discussion on taking their blushing daughters hand in marriage..

Oh <removed> me ! cancel it now..... why you meeting the parents if you're not going to get married....this aint 1920... its 2009...

I can see trouble ahead..... what is her old mans job? Police /Army / Government official best run now dude....

Oh <removed> me ! cancel it now..... why you meeting the parents if you're not going to get married....this aint 1920... its 2009...

Yeah, but he was a teenager in the 1920's, old habits are hard to break..... :)

Yeah, but he was a teenager in the 1920's, old habits are hard to break..... :)

Oh, Darling, you know me too well.

ps don't forget the sin sot that should seal the deal perfectly :D

Sorry dude I misunderstood i thought you were going to meet them for discussion on taking their blushing daughters hand in marriage..

I can see trouble ahead..... what is her old mans job? Police /Army / Government official best run now dude....

Ah, well, some women like to have the nod of approval from mother before going out with one of us Farang things.

Not the first time I have had to meet mother first either.

One took me to the park for a walk. Unbeknown to me her mother was sat there watching the pair of us. She gave the nod of approval and after that the woman in question became my g/f and we walked hand in hand through the park from that moment on - so sweet :)

In fact all but one has got me to meet mother first. Pity the mothers had such bad judgement. Now I have helicopter syndrome :D

Can somebody explain me, what's so special when a foreigner meets the Thai lady family, instead of when a foreigner girl, meets a foreigner family.

For approval, of course. The majority of good Thai woman would not be with a foreign man if mother is not happy.

Maybe the man is too old. too wrinkly, too fat, too - whatever.

And as head of the family mother is always correct :)

Personally, if i were invited dinner to anyones family (in any country) usually I would bring something to add to the meal. Maybe some sweet treat native to my own country or maybe just a platter of fresh fruit. Nothing too heavy or anything that would imply that i wouldnt want to eat the main dish/meal. Just an accompaniment.

Personally wouldnt take alcohol, but nothing wrong with that if you know the family drink.

Personally, if i were invited dinner to anyones family (in any country) usually I would bring something to add to the meal. Maybe some sweet treat native to my own country or maybe just a platter of fresh fruit. Nothing too heavy or anything that would imply that i wouldnt want to eat the main dish/meal. Just an accompaniment.

Personally wouldnt take alcohol, but nothing wrong with that if you know the family drink.

Eek !!

Fruit sounds good. A neutral choice and one not liable to offend.

Eek !!

Fruit sounds good. A neutral choice and one not liable to offend.

If you gave me fruit I would give it to the fruit eating people and ask you why the F#@K you didn't bring me any Alcohol.