Call Forwarding From A Us/uk Number To Thailand ?

tiz435

Hi all,

Needing to stay in touch by cell and considering options.

I am wanting to have a US/UK line that can call forward to a thai cell number for a reasonable per minute fee.

If I am figuring correctly, the fees here for a local thai cell number on a incoming call are free even if coming from overseas (is this true for all prepaid thai cell sims? ) , so I would only pay for the forwarding rates to the thai cell number.

The calls from others back home would be free to them other than US/UK rates for their plan , as they are calling "in" country .

Any one else doing this?

Thanks

looking into voip companies in the US/UK that have cheap rates to thailand.. then get a DID with these companies and forward the DID's to your thailand mobile.. you'll only need to pay for the DID to thailand leg of the call, which won't cost much..

if it was a AUS number, it would only cost 8c untimed... aus DID forwarded to thai mobile..

I use a Skype In number in the US and have it set to call forward to my mobile here in Thailand. Us callers pay the local call rates to that number. I get dinged the call rates for a Skype VOIP call to my mobile here in LOS.

If I'm online my PC rings, if I'm offline my mobile rings. If no answer goes to voicemail. Cost of the Skype number is 60 USD a year.

Thanks for the ideas.

Long ball, thanks for the heads up on skype. Was not sure if I could call forward to Thai cell or just landline.

Also found a call forwarding service called "CallMyGlobalNumber" from United World telecom that may work . Closely priced with skype for US # with local numbers in many countries including Thailand and UK. Not sure about quality though but might also try as I need multiple options.

Has anyone heard of them?

Do you know if UK SIP/VoIP companies give out local numbers in UK?

sipgate.co.uk gives free UK local numbers and works flawlessly =)

Although I think they detect your IP and only allows local numbers (as opposed to nasty 0845/0870/etc) from UK based IPs, but of course there are ways to get around this :)

edit: to add more info

Edited by paveet

I use Voipdiscount.

Not sure if they still do it but when I registered I got a free UK local number. Friends and Family dial this at local call rate or free if they have free calls. They are then diverted to my Thai mobile for FREE. Yes I mean free. There is no charge at all to call Thai mobiles!

Strangly I cannot do this in reverse as Voipdiscount charge for calls to the UK! However I do use Vonage for that. Have a vonage UK Landline in my Thai home (connected to the Internet router). Have a local UK number for people to call me and I can make Free calls back to the UK, Ireland, USA and many other countries. Cost for Vonage is about the £8 a month mark.

I think the Vonage solution is best but only works in the home. For redirection to mobiles Voipdiscount is the best.

Chris

I use Voipdiscount.

Not sure if they still do it but when I registered I got a free UK local number. Friends and Family dial this at local call rate or free if they have free calls. They are then diverted to my Thai mobile for FREE. Yes I mean free. There is no charge at all to call Thai mobiles!

Strangly I cannot do this in reverse as Voipdiscount charge for calls to the UK! However I do use Vonage for that. Have a vonage UK Landline in my Thai home (connected to the Internet router). Have a local UK number for people to call me and I can make Free calls back to the UK, Ireland, USA and many other countries. Cost for Vonage is about the £8 a month mark.

I think the Vonage solution is best but only works in the home. For redirection to mobiles Voipdiscount is the best.

Chris

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. I use Vonage to forward to a cell phone; it's selectable via a webpage whether your home phone rings, your cell phone rings, or both ring when an incoming call comes in. It's true that Vonage does work well in the home though, using it with a corded phone inside the house normally gives excellent voice quality with startlingly low latency on calls to/from the States.

Edited by OriginalPoster

• 2 weeks later...
I use Voipdiscount.

Chris

Not sure what you mean by your last sentence. I use Vonage to forward to a cell phone; it's selectable via a webpage whether your home phone rings, your cell phone rings, or both ring when an incoming call comes in. It's true that Vonage does work well in the home though, using it with a corded phone inside the house normally gives excellent voice quality with startlingly low latency on calls to/from the States.

The last line meant that Voipdiscount was the better of the 2 for forwarding to mobiles in Thailand because the call is FREE. Vonage can also forward to Thai mobiles but you have to pay for the call.

Chris

Skype have just added thailand as one of their monthly subscriber and its for mobiles aswell..so for 4 euros you can have unlimited cqalls forwarded to your thai mobile or any other thai number and it will be included in your free minutes..if you go for the whole world package which is 7 euros then you can have 2 or 3 numbers free and you could have aus and a uk one