Baby Due Soon -

bannerman

My thai girlfriend is due to give birth in about 2 months -

i,m looking for up to date / accurate information on what i need to do before / after the birth in order that my *son * can have the same benefits i have as a British national . ie Passport , freedom to travel , etc

links to relevant sites / webpages

legal requirements and /or British Embassy requirements

as well as anyones personal experiences will be really and truly gratefully received

sorry if this type of question has been repeatably posted but i,m just after the most up to date current requirements

many thanks in anticipation

Bannerman

Don't do anything before the birth. Don't rush anything after the birth. Your G/F will know what to do about registering the birth in Thailand. As long as you are named as the father on the birth certificate the child will be entitled to a UK passport, no rush. Passport can be obtained by post from Embassy. I personally never got my children UK birth certificates. A birth certificate isn't proof of nationality, a passport is. Just get the passport. Relax 'bannerman' you have 2 months to read all the threads concerning your plight, happy reading.

PS, To get all the benefits you have as a British national the child would need to live in the UK. Outside of that he/she won't get much.

Edited by coventry

Since you are not married, YOU have to register the baby yourself at the amphur. Only when you register the baby yourself you will have legitimised the baby (stated that you are the father) and will hold costudy over the child together with the mother. If someone else registers the baby you will not be the legal father!

Registration of the birth must be done within 15 days after birth, at the amphur where the child is born.

You can have a look at the website of the british embassy to see what you need to do to register the bay with the UK authorities.

Since you are not married, YOU have to register the baby yourself at the amphur. Only when you register the baby yourself you will have legitimised the baby (stated that you are the father) and will hold costudy over the child together with the mother. If someone else registers the baby you will not be the legal father!

Registration of the birth must be done within 15 days after birth, at the amphur where the child is born.

You can have a look at the website of the british embassy to see what you need to do to register the bay with the UK authorities.

When I did this a couple of months ago the amphur local to the hospital (not the amphur where we live) also required a translated copy of my passport.

When I did this a couple of months ago the amphur local to the hospital (not the amphur where we live) also required a translated copy of my passport.
I've registered 3 children and never had to show a translated copy of my passport for any of them.