Green Book Issue ........

glasshock

Im looking at buying an "elderly" motorbike. The green book is supplied with the bike but it is not in the sellers name. Can this be rectified fairly simply if I have a bill of sale from the seller or, must I track down the originally named owner to be able to change the book. I intend to ship the bike at a later date to the UK and as such this issue could, I feel be a problem.

The bike is currently taxed and insured so the use here in this country isnt really an issue.

Maybe tea money in the appropriate pot may help? :)

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks.

:D

Sorry if the answer is held within previous posts!

Its simple , get the seller to transfer the book into yours or a thai friend of yours name BEFORE sale is complete. If the current owner has not transfered the bike into his/her name then it may be because it was not possible due to a problem with the book/bike. I would be cautious with this one.

Good luck.

Edited by coolfusion

Im looking at buying an "elderly" motorbike. The green book is supplied with the bike but it is not in the sellers name. Can this be rectified fairly simply if I have a bill of sale from the seller or, must I track down the originally named owner to be able to change the book. I intend to ship the bike at a later date to the UK and as such this issue could, I feel be a problem.

The bike is currently taxed and insured so the use here in this country isnt really an issue.

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks.

Its simple , get the seller to transfer the book into yours or a thai freind of yours name BEFORE sale is complete.

Thanks for that....but the seller isnt the person documented within the book..... as such I would think they cannot transfer right?

Right , you said that already , but you can transfer if you have the details of the person who its registered in , either way its their responsibility to sort it out , find out if they even know the person who`s name its in as it could be a close friend /family member , for example alot of farang will get a bike registered in a thai persons name because you cannot register a bike on a tourist visa.

Look into it man , ask questions..

Edited by coolfusion

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks.

Its simple , get the seller to transfer the book into yours or a thai freind of yours name BEFORE sale is complete.

Thanks for that....but the seller isnt the person documented within the book..... as such I would think they cannot transfer right?

If the seller is not the registered owner, dont buy. Dont pay if its not transfered to you. The registered owner can report you for theft any time. Exporting it without beeing in your name could be your lifes nightmare

Edit For a bike with no reg/book a invoice is sufficient evidence of ownership, unless the bike is stolen, and it can be used for 90 days on the road with red plates and insurance. For a reg/ book bike, only transfer of name in book makes you the owner

Sorry

Edited by katabeachbum

to transfer ownership, you need a copy of the registered owners CURRENT ID card - before the ID card expires.

If the ID card is expired you will have to track down the owner and get a current copy...you will also need the 'power of attorney' document - this allows you to transfer ownership without the previous owner being present.

Shipping to another country, just send it as parts. No title required.

to transfer ownership, you need a copy of the registered owners CURRENT ID card - before the ID card expires.

If the ID card is expired you will have to track down the owner and get a current copy...you will also need the 'power of attorney' document - this allows you to transfer ownership without the previous owner being present.

Shipping to another country, just send it as parts. No title required.

No chance of a transfer without tabien baan too.

Exporting bike parts without being the owner? Could become a nightmare if caught. :)

Any thoughts gang?

Thanks.

I think people painting the situation too black here....it is quite often happening that you get the bike sold by someone else who has not been the owner...even i sold once a bike that way...just make sure you have the thai sales agreement signed from the one who is mentioned on the green book and have this same persons passport/Id & Tabien Baan or yellow tabien Baan. It is best to have the seller come with you to transfer the bike and pay him after the succesful transfer. No worries no headaches...the only other issue is not the sale itself through another person...but to actually verify that the green book is the real deal...you can get "reborn" green books(book comes from a "dead" bike and will hold up for another bike - often the bikes nrs are being forged to match) as much as greenbooks which don't match with the nrs on the bike ...to have the real green book on older bikes that are above200- 250 cc is to my experience rather difficult to find( but i can't speak for everyone) .

good luck and hope that helps,

mbox