Lets Hear Your Best

Okay,

My neighbour in money trouble wanted to sell me land,16 rai he said,chanote for 23 rai but previous owner had bungled the paperwork he said.

Works out i gps it and there was 23 rai but he decided to keep the rest for his family.

No problem took it on the chin and my wife brought it (the 16 rai).

Step 2.

Have everyone gather at sale who he owed money to distribute it.

Yeh,he took the money put it in bank and said it had to be divided among family members.

No body got paid,im dark on that.

OK well mine is more a case of constantly moving the goal posts and excessive timewasting greed and lying.

Looked at a piece of land in Pranburi, asked chciken man opposite who is owner (can you ever find the real owner) Chicken man asks cow man up the road cow man knows friend of onwer, friend of owner appears, we discuss price and options , agree price options and payment method (3 days), friend of owner gets greedy asks for 50000 baht in cash for plot of land w e will pay 800000 (8rai)

We still agree and go to the bank to get cashiers cheque which wa s agreed and plan to meet next day, phone call same day friend of owner wants to change all terms he agreed to, sale off.

What is annoying is the sheer timewasting ie 2 trips fro m BKK to pranburi , buying of metal poles to stake boundaries, cost of cashiers cheque and then re depositing it in bank, damage to our car form idiot at builders yard when loading metal poles (incidental I know) and the final irony the idiot friend of the land owner aks us for 1000 baht for petrol money ( no he ddnt get it).

Mai pen rai they never learn. He lost his 50000. W'ell go back in 6 months an ask someone else am sure land wont be sold.

OK well mine is more a case of constantly moving the goal posts and excessive timewasting greed and lying.

Looked at a piece of land in Pranburi, asked chciken man opposite who is owner (can you ever find the real owner) Chicken man asks cow man up the road cow man knows friend of onwer, friend of owner appears, we discuss price and options , agree price options and payment method (3 days), friend of owner gets greedy asks for 50000 baht in cash for plot of land w e will pay 800000 (8rai)

We still agree and go to the bank to get cashiers cheque which wa s agreed and plan to meet next day, phone call same day friend of owner wants to change all terms he agreed to, sale off.

What is annoying is the sheer timewasting ie 2 trips fro m BKK to pranburi , buying of metal poles to stake boundaries, cost of cashiers cheque and then re depositing it in bank, damage to our car form idiot at builders yard when loading metal poles (incidental I know) and the final irony the idiot friend of the land owner aks us for 1000 baht for petrol money ( no he ddnt get it).

Mai pen rai they never learn. He lost his 50000. W'ell go back in 6 months an ask someone else am sure land wont be sold.

Lost me on this one.

Why did the friend of the owner have any pull in the owners property?

I don't know that we ever had a problem. My wife bought 100 rai of land in Chiang Rai before we were married pretty hassle free. After we were married and moved from the USA to Thailand we settled in Chiang Mai for the work. We found a house agreed on a price and paid the bank, within less than a week we were buying furniture and having it delivered and by the end of the week we were living in the house.

Note sure if this qualifies as a good story, but i thought it a bit cheeky.

We bought our condo which was owned by the government saving bank, but sold through a real estate agent who was handling in the property.

We had a contract with the agent stating the price we would pay, and also an agreement that they would pay all the finalization costs (taxes, etc... due at transfer).

Well we went to the land department to finalize the deal; there was a lawyer from the real estate agent, and an agent from the bank. They went about processing the transaction, and time came to hand over the money, which was in cashiers checks.

At which point the real estate agent said "plus you also need 500 baht to pay the bank agent for his time". At which point i was kind of stunned:

A) We already had a contract saying all finalization costs would be paid by the estate agent

B ) Why the heck would i be paying the bank agent to fill out the required paperwork in order to sell a property owned by his own bank...

Not to mention that i did not have a 500 baht in cash on me... only the cashiers checks for almost 2M baht...and the thought of walking all the way to the ATM and feeling ripped off all the way did not appeal to me.

To be honest I was pretty annoyed by this nickle and dime ambush. And just said "no", which seemed to throw them through a massive loop, of what to do about this 500baht.

It was pretty funny really, took them 30 minutes to figure out they were about to lose 2M baht because of 500baht.

Needless to say, i did not pay the 500 baht, but did get the property.

You may think i'm a bit petty; who cares about 500baht, but it's the principle really, and why fold when you're holding all the aces (money).

You may think i'm a bit petty; who cares about 500baht, but it's the principle really, and why fold when you're holding all the aces (money).

No just think you are tight fisted :D

Just how many people walk about with NO money on them ? Just the once I would love somebody say it as it is. Nothing to do with it being about the principle but it is all about the ten pounds hard cash! or 500 baht :)

"At which point the real estate agent said "plus you also need 500 baht to pay the bank agent for his time". At which point i was kind of stunned:"

Surely the bank agent is just that, the bank's agent under the employ of the bank, therefore paid by the bank. When you go to the cashier's cage to make a deposit ( or the 7/11 for a coke) do you pay her or him for their time? :)

"At which point the real estate agent said "plus you also need 500 baht to pay the bank agent for his time". At which point i was kind of stunned:"

Surely the bank agent is just that, the bank's agent under the employ of the bank, therefore paid by the bank. When you go to the cashier's cage to make a deposit ( or the 7/11 for a coke) do you pay her or him for their time? :)

Exactly, i also just don't give money to random people who happen to ask. I sometimes buy some junk off the streets to give the kids selling them a break but i do not support people by handing out cash without any reason.

No just think you are tight fisted :D

Just how many people walk about with NO money on them ? Just the once I would love somebody say it as it is. Nothing to do with it being about the principle but it is all about the ten pounds hard cash! or 500 baht :)

As i said above, i could have walked to the ATM to get 500 (it wasn't the fact that didn't have access to 500 baht).

But if i'd had the 500 cash already in my wallet, i might have been more tempted to just fork it over, despite my annoyance. So i guess i'm glad i didn't have the 500 cash on me.

I had maybe a few hundred; enough for lunch and the taxi back home...

Surely the bank agent is just that, the bank's agent under the employ of the bank, therefore paid by the bank. When you go to the cashier's cage to make a deposit ( or the 7/11 for a coke) do you pay her or him for their time? :D

Yes, that's pretty much how i felt; and mind this was a not a "suggested tip" it was a mandatory fee. Your 7/11 analogy is pretty accurate.

Edited by dave111223

..............they never learn.......................

? you failed to do the deal you wanted and its 'their' fault

They failed to do the deal they agreed to not the deal I wanted to do at all.

The owner was "apparently" sick and the "friend" was the head of the village who had been given what we would call "power of attorney" to deal with the sale. The problem was not the owner it was the "agent"

He supposedly had full permission to sell the land and agree terms but got greedy. First he said he wanted a cashiers cheque which we got on a Saturday at 4pm just as banks were closing to do the deal on Sunday, then a call later he said he wanted cash. This was just one of many things that he agreed to then later changed .

He lied about everything.

Edited by yabaaaa

Note sure if this qualifies as a good story, but i thought it a bit cheeky.

We bought our condo which was owned by the government saving bank, but sold through a real estate agent who was handling in the property.

We had a contract with the agent stating the price we would pay, and also an agreement that they would pay all the finalization costs (taxes, etc... due at transfer).

Well we went to the land department to finalize the deal; there was a lawyer from the real estate agent, and an agent from the bank. They went about processing the transaction, and time came to hand over the money, which was in cashiers checks.

At which point the real estate agent said "plus you also need 500 baht to pay the bank agent for his time". At which point i was kind of stunned:

A) We already had a contract saying all finalization costs would be paid by the estate agent

B ) Why the heck would i be paying the bank agent to fill out the required paperwork in order to sell a property owned by his own bank...

Not to mention that i did not have a 500 baht in cash on me... only the cashiers checks for almost 2M baht...and the thought of walking all the way to the ATM and feeling ripped off all the way did not appeal to me.

To be honest I was pretty annoyed by this nickle and dime ambush. And just said "no", which seemed to throw them through a massive loop, of what to do about this 500baht.

It was pretty funny really, took them 30 minutes to figure out they were about to lose 2M baht because of 500baht.

Needless to say, i did not pay the 500 baht, but did get the property.

Well strikes me as odd too, the "agent" ie friend of the owner lost 50000 baht commision thru making some small changes from casheirs cheque to cash. even though a few hours before he had said cashiers cheque, then when he knew the game was up asked for 1000 baht to meet with the neighbours to discuss boundaries etc.