Firing Blanks

lincdales

About 20 years ago my water works seized up and I had to have a reaming job done. At the time I was warned that my sex drive may be impaired, I may not be able to father more children and the job may need to be done again in 20 years. well, the child bit didn't worry me too much since my wife was beyond child bearing age, our sex life wasn't as good as it should have been and I didn't really give a stuff about what would happen in 20 years.

Now things are drastically different. My wife died, I married a Thai girl less than half my age, our sex life is terrific ( I am shooting, although blanks) and she is getting very broody. But a check up has shown my count as 800,000. I haven't a clue what that means except that it is very low. The doctor says his friend in Chaing Mai hospital can do the insemination for 100,000 baht. Wife says OK but no wants donor, wants baby product of the two of us.

My question to you is, with that low count what are the odds of success and, if it fails do I contiue to pay 100,000 for repeat treatment. If there are any experts on this forum I would appreciate input.

By the way, I think water works are beginning to slow down again so the third part of the warning is comming true !

About 20 years ago my water works seized up and I had to have a reaming job done. At the time I was warned that my sex drive may be impaired, I may not be able to father more children and the job may need to be done again in 20 years. well, the child bit didn't worry me too much since my wife was beyond child bearing age, our sex life wasn't as good as it should have been and I didn't really give a stuff about what would happen in 20 years.

Now things are drastically different. My wife died, I married a Thai girl less than half my age, our sex life is terrific ( I am shooting, although blanks) and she is getting very broody. But a check up has shown my count as 800,000. I haven't a clue what that means except that it is very low. The doctor says his friend in Chaing Mai hospital can do the insemination for 100,000 baht. Wife says OK but no wants donor, wants baby product of the two of us.

My question to you is, with that low count what are the odds of success and, if it fails do I contiue to pay 100,000 for repeat treatment. If there are any experts on this forum I would appreciate input.

By the way, I think water works are beginning to slow down again so the third part of the warning is comming true !

What is your age?

What is your age?

What is your age?

I read from your posts that you have been in Thailand only about 6 months!

Perhaps it would be prudent of you to wait a year or so before making a decision as important as this.

Have you seen this video?

http://www.vimeo.com/1314479

800,000 count is on the low side but depending on the morphology and motility of the sperm it is enough.

The price you are being quoted is wayyyyyy high. 100,000 will get IVF done. IUI (Intrauterine insemination) runs 15000-30000 baht.

I get the feeling that you are being quoted the price for IVF. Sometimes when the motility and morphology of the sperm is poor they need to do ISCI (That is where they inject the sperm directly into the egg.

As for you age, if you want it go for it. Me and the Mrs. got all kinds of grief because we got fertility treatment (wasting our money, too old, etc.) and now have twins. We used Vejthani Hospital's ART Centre and it was 130,000 for IVF and around 150,000 for ICSI. And as I said they charge 15,000-30,000 for artificial insemination..

Edited by gunnyd

800,000 count is on the low side but depending on the morphology and motility of the sperm it is enough.

The price you are being quoted is wayyyyyy high. 100,000 will get IVF done. IUI (Intrauterine insemination) runs 15000-30000 baht.

I get the feeling that you are being quoted the price for IVF. Sometimes when the motility and morphology of the sperm is poor they need to do ISCI (That is where they inject the sperm directly into the egg.

As for you age, if you want it go for it. Me and the Mrs. got all kinds of grief because we got fertility treatment (wasting our money, too old, etc.) and now have twins. We used Vejthani Hospital's ART Centre and it was 130,000 for IVF and around 150,000 for ICSI. And as I said they charge 15,000-30,000 for artificial insemination..

Thank you, a very useful reply. Frankly I am not sure what I was being quoted for but assume it's IVF. We are planning a visit to Chiang Mai in September so will know more then, but in the meantime it is good to know that the treatment can be successful

Dont take it personal, but with 66 the likelyhood that you will see your child growing up is not very high anymore....... please think again if you really need to have a child.
Hi. I do try not to take such comments personally but please bear in mind that I consider myself old enough and wise enough to make such decisions. Not sure if you have read any of my earlier postings but, for the record, my wife is an inteligent and successful business woman who has waited many years before making the decision to marry. Now she is ready to reign back on her business activities and become a housewife and mother. She has 100% backing from her well respected family and they are all eager to receive an addition, so I know that, should I die before the child reaches adulthood, he/ she will be taken well care of and there will be no financial restrictions. In the meantime, during the short time I have left on this earth, I will be a bloody good father who will not be wasting the child's formative years by going to work every day.

What is your age?

I read from your posts that you have been in Thailand only about 6 months!

Perhaps it would be prudent of you to wait a year or so before making a decision as important as this.

Have you seen this video?

http://www.vimeo.com/1314479

With the greatest of respect I don't see how your response has any bearing on my original posting. I was not asking for advice on if I should father a child, I was asking for informed opinions on if IVF would be successful in my case. Gunnyd helped in that respect. As for the video! Here we seem to be dealing with an alcoholic farang married to a not too bright Thai speaking to a foul mouthed son. I have the full backing of all my family in the UK INCLUDING my inlaws, having seen the distress I went through during my wife's illness and following her death. Perhaps you could read my response to CHdiver for more details.

2 years ago I had a vasectomy reversal at Chiang Mai Ram, the operation and hospital stay was 47,000 Baht total, the 100,000 you have been quoted seems a bit on the high side. Since then we have had a baby 10 weeks ago now. I had to go on Antioxidents and some other vitamins to correct a low sperm count, might be you need the same. If you want more information PM me.

Lincdales you go for it just I had a son 5 months ago I am 64 best thing that I have done for a long time I have already seen my son more than my Father did in the first 5 years of my life due to him having to work every hour to keep me and if anything should happen to me at least I know that I have made one lady very happy