Where To Live In Thailand?

Frezie

I know a new place in Thailand better than everywhere else. It's so secluded only 4 people know about it. It's cheaper than Chiang Mai and the beaches are better than Phuket. It has more nightlife than BKK but no pollution. There is no over development but Tesco and an international hospital are within walking distance. There are no foreign people living there but there is a great bakery and pizza joint in town. The women are the most beautiful in Thailand and none of them are bar girls or have violent Thai boyfriends. There are no soi dogs. PM me for more information. Have your credit card details ready.

This seemed like a good post till you mentioned credit card details

We've decided to have uncle build us a small home within an hour drive outside of Chiang Mai. The only neighbors within a kilometer live about two hundred meters away.

A plateau in the mountains, it is blessed with fresh breezes and a great view of varied farm land for three directions with a few small ridges in the background. To the other direction across from our entrance road is a small hill that rises up from the ground at a 75% angle. At its base is a small pond thats waters are crystal clear.

The older couple whom live the closest and sold MIL the land are old friends of MIL and are quiet friendly folk.

The most pleasant place I've ever lived was a farm in one of the most violent countries in the world. I can live a quiet pastorial life, but as a realist I probably will need increasing access to medical care as thats the nature of growing old. This puts me within an hour of Ram. It also allows visits to Carrefour and other shopping without much hassle. Don't need a bar scene to be happy

If you are wanting to get out of BKK and don't like busy places, what about Kanchanaburi ?

Not far from Bangkok. Its a lovely place. :)

I've checked this one out on the net and it certainly looks nice. Couldn't find out much about the town so will definitely give it a visit soon - thanks :D

We've decided to have uncle build us a small home within an hour drive outside of Chiang Mai. The only neighbors within a kilometer live about two hundred meters away.

A plateau in the mountains, it is blessed with fresh breezes and a great view of varied farm land for three directions with a few small ridges in the background. To the other direction across from our entrance road is a small hill that rises up from the ground at a 75% angle. At its base is a small pond thats waters are crystal clear.

The older couple whom live the closest and sold MIL the land are old friends of MIL and are quiet friendly folk.

The most pleasant place I've ever lived was a farm in one of the most violent countries in the world. I can live a quiet pastorial life, but as a realist I probably will need increasing access to medical care as thats the nature of growing old. This puts me within an hour of Ram. It also allows visits to Carrefour and other shopping without much hassle. Don't need a bar scene to be happy

Thanks for that - sounds idyllic but at the moment i live alone (which could change) so would probably need somewhere a little less remote and like you with advancing years would need to be closer to medical care but I'm still seriously considerig Chang Mai and I have a very close Thai friend (femae but not g/f) whose family are in Lampang so would be another good reason for going there.

Having travelled extensively around Thailand I finally decided on Kanchanaburi as a home base.

Close enough to Bangkok for a days outing, Far cheaper than the high tourist areas and absolutely stunning scenery. Mountains, Rivers, and some of Thailands largest waterfalls can be easily accessed, very rural, the province reminds me very much of Scotland but with much better weather. It even has an inland beach.

Small Foreign community, I'm told about 200 and some really nice people amongst them, as with anywhere you pick and choose your friends. Quite a lot of Bars, a british style pub, where you will meet other like minded people. Don't worry too much about not speaking Thai, you will manage just fine, all the shops and markets have prices marked, they will have a calculator which you can use to bargain with. Tesco Lotus supermarket and shops that sell everything. If you know where to head to there will always be someone to speak English with.

If you decide to visit, pm me and I will be happy to show you around and introduce you to a few places and some good people. Nothing like a bit of local knowledge to get you started.

Check out www.kanchanaburi-info.com and www.tourismthailand.org/destination-guide/kanchanaburi

Having travelled extensively around Thailand I finally decided on Kanchanaburi as a home base.

Close enough to Bangkok for a days outing, Far cheaper than the high tourist areas and absolutely stunning scenery. Mountains, Rivers, and some of Thailands largest waterfalls can be easily accessed, very rural, the province reminds me very much of Scotland but with much better weather. It even has an inland beach.

Small Foreign community, I'm told about 200 and some really nice people amongst them, as with anywhere you pick and choose your friends. Quite a lot of Bars, a british style pub, where you will meet other like minded people. Don't worry too much about not speaking Thai, you will manage just fine, all the shops and markets have prices marked, they will have a calculator which you can use to bargain with. Tesco Lotus supermarket and shops that sell everything. If you know where to head to there will always be someone to speak English with.

If you decide to visit, pm me and I will be happy to show you around and introduce you to a few places and some good people. Nothing like a bit of local knowledge to get you started.

Check out www.kanchanaburi-info.com and www.tourismthailand.org/destination-guide/kanchanaburi

Thanks Liomess It might be a while yet but will definitely be checking it out and will take you up on your kind offer :)

A few more criteria as suggested.

I have always lived in the English countryside before moving to LOS and consider myself a country boy. Howeverver that's not so simple in a country where you speak very little of the language so, to be honest, I would probably be happier in an urbam environment with easy access to the countryside / mountains.

I shall never buy here. I still own my house in the UK and the rent from that more than covers my rent here - even in BKK although that's obviously been eroded by exchange rates. my income is in the region of 75,000 baht which makes for a reasonable lifestyle as my accomodation is covered and at my age, I'm not averse to eating into my liquid capital in the UK hopefully slowly.

Cooler than BKK would be nice - which would imply the north.

I've been to CM a few times and like it and it's definitely on my list. Only passed through CR but have already decided to check it out.

Never been further south than Samed but intend to check out the south.

Spent a few days in a small village in rural Nong Khai with a former gf and much as I enjoyed a few days - I definitely couldn't live there.

My social life as always revolved around pubs and bars. Not that I'm a p*sshead but I never drink at home so would need a few bars frequented by expats.

Hope that helps and I really appreciate the responses - please keep them coming guys

With this information I would definately say: The North and than most likely: Chiang Mai. The "expats-in-bars-community" is not that big here in Chiang Rai so you'd probably get bored soon. With the 75K a month you get a pretty good life in CM and you've got everything you are asking for in your posts.

A few more criteria as suggested.

I have always lived in the English countryside before moving to LOS and consider myself a country boy. Howeverver that's not so simple in a country where you speak very little of the language so, to be honest, I would probably be happier in an urbam environment with easy access to the countryside / mountains.

I shall never buy here. I still own my house in the UK and the rent from that more than covers my rent here - even in BKK although that's obviously been eroded by exchange rates. my income is in the region of 75,000 baht which makes for a reasonable lifestyle as my accomodation is covered and at my age, I'm not averse to eating into my liquid capital in the UK hopefully slowly.

Cooler than BKK would be nice - which would imply the north.

I've been to CM a few times and like it and it's definitely on my list. Only passed through CR but have already decided to check it out.

Never been further south than Samed but intend to check out the south.

Spent a few days in a small village in rural Nong Khai with a former gf and much as I enjoyed a few days - I definitely couldn't live there.

My social life as always revolved around pubs and bars. Not that I'm a p*sshead but I never drink at home so would need a few bars frequented by expats.

Hope that helps and I really appreciate the responses - please keep them coming guys

With this information I would definately say: The North and than most likely: Chiang Mai. The "expats-in-bars-community" is not that big here in Chiang Rai so you'd probably get bored soon. With the 75K a month you get a pretty good life in CM and you've got everything you are asking for in your posts.

Thanks for that, as I have said CM has always been on my list

I have been living in BKK for most of the past 5 years, the first 2 working full time for a UK based company and the last 3 part time / semi retired. The chances are that I will be fully retired in the next few months so I'm looking to move out of Bangkok, partly as my income will decrease and I'll need to reduce costs and partly, much as I enjoy BKK, it would be nice to live somewhere quieter.

Although I have a number of Thai friends my Thai is very poor (which I intend to address) so I would need there to be at least a small expat community.

I would like to get some suggestions or ideas from any of you guys who know the country better than I do. I am completely open minded - the north, central, south or the islands - prepared to have a look at anything if it sounds right.

Hopefully this topic should avoid some of the vitriol we seem to get on most threads......

Any suggestions welcome

Chiang Mai is a great place to live. Wonderful people, food, climate is good (except MAR-APR), easy to get around and the costs is cheaper than Bangkok, Phuket and Hua Hin

Agree with the above.

It's got nearly everything BK has ,but less of it because there are less people living here.

I lived in BK for my first year in Thailand, then looked about for somewhere else. I checked out all the other major places and CM offered the most affordable housing, good restaurants that are much cheaper than most other "popular" destinations, and very freindly locals.

The ex-pat community here is good (if you wanna mix with ex-pats)....

I have visited Chiang rai on several occassions and find it to be lacking in infastructure for foreigners, its nice and quiet, and cheaper than CM ...but personally its too quiet.

I have been in CM for 5 years now and would not want to live anywhere else :)