Riot Police On Doi Suthep,chiang Mai

rikki

I just saw 50+ riot police,andmaybe another 200 police, army(green uniforms?) and about a hundred minivans, etc on Doi Suthep.

Somebody visited the temple. Any idea who?

a taxi driver said something about a top policeman, and the leader of the redshirts.

It all started last night...Full report in today's Post..

Police station under siege as red shirt held

Minister says Thaksin pardon bid is futile

Writer: ]POST REPORTERS Published: 17/07/2009 at 12:00 AM Newspaper section: NewsChiang Mai - About 200 red shirt protesters surrounded a police station last night demanding the release of a radio broadcaster who is facing a charge of carrying a gun at the airport.

The supporters of convicted former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra blocked the Phu Ping police station where Niyom Lueangcharoen of FM 92.5 was being held.

They called on the police to release Mr Niyom without any conditions.

I was walking up the Doi early this morning and they were everywhere, riot shields the lot! Their presence started at the Police Station opposite Fitness Park, and was on almost every bend up the doi until the security checkpoint. They were also filtering the traffic just past Wat Sri Soda and looking in the windows of every vehicle before waving them on.

I was told it was in anticipation of a red shirt fracas, but have no more details. What the Red Shirts could be possibly getting up to on the scenic mountain road is beyond me!

Aitch

It all started last night...Full report in today's Post..

Reason for edit: The Bankokpost only allows to quote the first 3 lines - mario2008

ok fine...mods can post full articles, but us poor serfs are excluded? I don't see this in the forum rules, can you point it out please..

Edited by Maejo Man

Different news agencies etc have differnt rules. The Nation for instance allows us to use the full text with a link, The Bangkok Post only allows us the first 3 sentences, with link. It is confusing and we do make mistakes our selves with this from time to time, but this is the legal stance of the Bangkok Post and we have to follow their rule in this.

Sorry, but this is how it is.

Some 200 red-shirt protesters blocked from reaching Korn in Chiang Mai

Chiang Mai - Some 200 red-shirt protesters were stopped by police from reaching the auditorium of Chiang Mai University where Finance Minister Korn Chatikavenij was holding a meeting Friday afternoon.

Some 1,000 policemen blocked the roads that lead to the auditorium, preventing the red-shirt protesters from storming inside.

Korn was holding a meeting of officials from banks owned by the Finance Ministry at the university's auditorium.

The Nation

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...ed-from-reachin