Overstay

I was discharged from hospital yesterday, 26th Jan, after being admitted on 16th Jan.

Currently, I'm operating on 30 day stamps, the last one having run out whilst I was in hospital on the 18th Jan.

I've got a doctor's/surgeon's certificate confirming the nature of my injury and admission dates. There's also a rider that I can't walk/travel until at least the 15th of Feb.

I've been told that if I take this certificate to Soi Suan Plu, they will write a letter for me to take to any border crossing and I won't get an overstay stamp or fine.

Is this the case and the correct proceedure?

Would the certificate also exonerate me from arrest in the unlikely event that I need to produce my passport before reaching a border?

I was discharged from hospital yesterday, 26th Jan, after being admitted on 16th Jan.

Currently, I'm operating on 30 day stamps, the last one having run out whilst I was in hospital on the 18th Jan.

I've got a doctor's/surgeon's certificate confirming the nature of my injury and admission dates. There's also a rider that I can't walk/travel until at least the 15th of Feb.

I've been told that if I take this certificate to Soi Suan Plu, they will write a letter for me to take to any border crossing and I won't get an overstay stamp or fine.

Is this the case and the correct proceedure?

Would the certificate also exonerate me from arrest in the unlikely event that I need to produce my passport before reaching a border?

I had a similar occurance, and the doctor wrote a letter stating that I was physicaly unable to leave the country do to being in the hospital. I took it with me to the border two days later, with no problem. Seems to me that your only likely problem would be if you took 'too much' time to get to the border.... I hope you meant 'February', not 'January', as you stated....

Perhaps a call to your local immigration would be your best bet....

Good luck

Ajarn. Thanks for your reply.

My stamp ran out on 18th Jan. I was discharged yesterday, 26th. Admitted to hospital 16th Jan. I was due to go to Ranong with friends as usual on the morning of the 18th, but had to cancel. The doctor's cert states that I'm not to travel until at least the 15th Feb.

As you had your hospital cert and no letter from Suan Plu, do I need to go to BKK to get the letter? I think I do have to.

I'm assuming that I've got a "get out of jail card free" until the 15th Feb at the earliest.

You realize of course that this is Feb. 27th?

What were you in hospital for? Bump your head, maybe? :o

I didn't get any letter from immigration, but you should contact them, I'd say. This was a year ago for me...

Good luck :D

Edited by Ajarn

Yup. Realise my mistake with the months now. Nurse, give me some more happy pills!!

I'll call immigration tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks.

Don't call 'em. Go visit 'em. Ypu are likely to have to pay the 200 baht a day. The extra days overstay beyond the docs letter don't favour your case at all. Maybe you should consider using visa's now that you have learned that things can go wrong.

Apologies, but it's me who's messed this thread up as I seem to have lost track of time.

The doctor's letter says that I will not be fit to travel anywhere until 15th Mar, not Feb as I previously stated.

On the subject of visas, I've been on a mixture for the last 7 years. As it looks likely that I'll be getting married in the next 2-3 months, the 30 day stamps were simply designed as a temporary measure to tide me over until I can apply for a "marriage visa".

Yup. Realise my mistake with the months now. Nurse, give me some more happy pills!!

I'll call immigration tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks.

Don't call 'em. Go visit 'em. Ypu are likely to have to pay the 200 baht a day. The extra days overstay beyond the docs letter don't favour your case at all. Maybe you should consider using visa's now that you have learned that things can go wrong.

Same happened to me.I had a brief stay in Hospital.I went with a letter from the Doc to Immigration.They charged me for the 3 days overstay and gave me a two week extention so I could do the visa run thingy.This was in BKK and they could not have been more helpful :o

So, if I go up to BKK on, or before the 15th March, I'll still be charged overstay from 18th Feb, despite being in hospital from 16-26th Feb and the doctor confirming that I'm not fit to travel until 15th Mar?

I thought the point of going to BKK was to get an overstay waiver (or whatever they give) based on the doctor's information.

If I'm going to be charged for overstay, there dosn't seem much point in going to BKK. I might as well go straight to Ranong, when able to, and pay the fine there.

So, if I go up to BKK on, or before the 15th March, I'll still be charged overstay from 18th Feb, despite being in hospital from 16-26th Feb and the doctor confirming that  I'm not fit to travel until 15th Mar?

I thought the point of going to BKK was to get an overstay waiver (or whatever they give) based on the doctor's information.

If I'm going to be charged for overstay, there dosn't seem much point in going to BKK. I might as well go straight to Ranong, when able to, and pay the fine there.

Go asap....you never know your luck.

Interesting......and unfortunate.

December I was admitted to hospital, 1st day dead in bed Admin. sent in a staff member to check my visa, passport, etc... If expired or soon to expire they were going to extend it. Fortunately I was in the clear, wondering why your hospital didn't offer this service to ensure your legality while your were immobile and unable to do anything about the situation? Hope there is not a next time but just for any others check if they can extend for you.

Chock dee!

I never thought about the hspital being able to extend.

A friend had some business at Soi Suan Plu yesterday and he popped into the relevent office for me and explained the situation. He was told that if I go to BKK with the doctor's certificate, they will write a letter for me to take to any border crossing and that exempts me from paying an overstay fine.

I hope so, as I'll be knocking on a month over before I manage to get to BKK unless the injury heals quicker. The doctor's cert says I mustn't travel until the 15 Mar.

I've just spoken to Soi Suan Plu. They reiterated n7zrd's point about the hospital extending and explained that this should have been done on my first day of admission - the stamp expired the next day.

They said that there's nothing they can do about it in BKK. I've got to go to Ranong - when I can walk - and hope that immigration are understanding. There's a chance I'll get away with it, but I'm not holding my breath.

Apologies, but it's me who's messed this thread up as I seem to have lost track of time....

Here's a tip: when I have to talk about "months" to Thai people, I always talk about the number of the month, e.g. 1st April is month number 4, day number 1. Hopefully no confusion then :o .