Thaksin To Spend A Billion Baht To Launch 'voice Tv' Network

sriracha john

Thaksin to launch 'Voice TV' network

Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to spend more than 1 Billion Baht in setting up a global television network called "Voice TV", which will start airing from next month, a Pheu Thai Party Samut Prakan MP said yesterday.

During his phone-in on Sunday night, the birthday boy said he would launch television channels devoted to education, the poor, and selling Otop products.

Pracha Prasopdee said the network will be linked to People's Station and MTV and can be viewed on the already existing www.voicetv.co.th website. Though the MP refused to reveal which satellite will be used to broadcast Voice TV, he did say that the government would not be able to block its signal.

After having travelled to several countries to gather information, do feasibility studies, and to talk to businessmen, diplomats, and academics over the past three months, Thaksin will be putting his plans in action next month, he said.

In fact, Pracha said, Thaksin might even host his own television programmes.

The Voice TV website, run under the motto "Voice of New Generation", broadcasts Thai and foreign news shows including latest updates on Thaksin and links to his speeches like his phone-in on Sunday to mark his 60th birthday.

Pracha said the website would focus on inspiring the new generation to express themselves and share their opinions, which would offer society new opportunities.

Pheu Thai Party's Deputy Leader Panpree Pahittanukorn said the Party would be happy if the government helped materialise Thaksin's idea of launching three TV channels for Thai citizens because it would not require huge sums.

"We have proposed the idea, and if this government does not want it, it doesn't matter because when we take over we will make it part of the national agenda," he said.

The "big surprise" that Thaksin had promised was revealed on Sunday when he said he was planning to launch 100 TV stations that could be watched across the globe. He said these TV stations would prove that his support for Thai citizens was still strong, and that three types of shows ready for kick off were related to selling Otop products, tutoring students, and soliciting funds for the poor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-28

Thaksin TV plan 'within law'

Plans for a global TV satellite network with many channels, unveiled by ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra during his video-link address on Sunday, have drawn a mixed response. Thaksin spoke of the idea to a gathering of supporters who were celebrating his 60th birthday at a restaurant on Bang Na-Trat Road.

The former prime minister said he would allot three channels for use by the country. One channel would be dedicated to promoting and selling One Tambon, One Product (Otop) products, the other to presenting a reality show featuring the plight of the poor and ways to tackle poverty, and the last would be dedicated to educational programmes providing tutorial classes for students.

Puea Thai Party MP for Samut Prakan Pracha Prasopdee said Thaksin had developed the idea for the TV project over three months and it would take about a billion baht to get it going. The TV network was expected to begin broadcasting early next month, Pracha said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/2104...plan-within-law

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-09-28

Thaksin to launch 'Voice TV' network

Fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra has decided to spend more than 1 Billion Baht in setting up a global television network called "Voice TV", which will start airing from next month, a Pheu Thai Party Samut Prakan MP said yesterday.

During his phone-in on Sunday night, the birthday boy said he would launch television channels devoted to education, the poor, and selling Otop products.

Pracha Prasopdee said the network will be linked to People's Station and MTV and can be viewed on the already existing www.voicetv.co.th website. Though the MP refused to reveal which satellite will be used to broadcast Voice TV, he did say that the government would not be able to block its signal.

After having travelled to several countries to gather information, do feasibility studies, and to talk to businessmen, diplomats, and academics over the past three months, Thaksin will be putting his plans in action next month, he said.

In fact, Pracha said, Thaksin might even host his own television programmes.

The Voice TV website, run under the motto "Voice of New Generation", broadcasts Thai and foreign news shows including latest updates on Thaksin and links to his speeches like his phone-in on Sunday to mark his 60th birthday.

Pracha said the website would focus on inspiring the new generation to express themselves and share their opinions, which would offer society new opportunities.

Pheu Thai Party's Deputy Leader Panpree Pahittanukorn said the Party would be happy if the government helped materialise Thaksin's idea of launching three TV channels for Thai citizens because it would not require huge sums.

"We have proposed the idea, and if this government does not want it, it doesn't matter because when we take over we will make it part of the national agenda," he said.

The "big surprise" that Thaksin had promised was revealed on Sunday when he said he was planning to launch 100 TV stations that could be watched across the globe. He said these TV stations would prove that his support for Thai citizens was still strong, and that three types of shows ready for kick off were related to selling Otop products, tutoring students, and soliciting funds for the poor.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-07-28

wow!, 3 channels out of the available 100 for Thais

thats 3% of the total package dedicated to Thai matters and one of them is an OTOP shopping channel!

what a fantastic deal for Thailand.........not

typical economics for Thickskin 97% for me, 3% for you

if 3% of the of red shirted people tune in to see the almighty Thicksin

he might even get six or seven people looking at any one time........

That Otop can't even be a proper shopping channel - they don't do delivery or sales over the phone.

Besides, who's going to pay for it? Are they going to attract advertising for a channel advertising other products?

Or is it benevolent Thaksin himself who'll pay all the production and broadcasting costs? That'd be nice.

Edited by Plus

That Otop can't even be a proper shopping channel - they don't do delivery or sales over the phone.

Besides, who's going to pay for it? Are they going to attract advertising for a channel advertising other products?

Or is it benevolent Thaksin himself who'll pay all the production and broadcasting costs? That'd be nice.

It is nice to see I helped you understand the reality of OTOP 'Plus', being a small-economy program providing support for many hard working people. Nice to see you stop dumping on it as you did in other posts. When the pro-democracy movement regains power in a true representative way, the OTOP program will be revived. As mentioned in another Post, the Thai Embassy people in other countries were extremely happy to see the back-end of Thaksin. He forced them to develop export capabilities for OTOP, helping many people in Thai small economies. Certainly took them off their Cocktail circuit. The current administration put the kibash on that initiative in a hurry. It didn't serve the interests of their constituancy.

Edited by Ferwert

I notice the Bangkok Post couldn't help themselves dumping on Mr. Thaksin for this very creative and Thailand-friendly initiative. Government representatives also tried to diminish it you will notice, and the BKK. Post dutifully reported all their negative commentary. Bedfellows they are to the extreme. Although the article used the derogatory "birthday Boy" as a shot to Thaksin, I didn't see their obligatory descriptive word "fugitive". That is a first! Suthep and friends mentioned condescendingly that as long as the satelite initiative is within the law, it is OK. It is nice to see such a law abiding citizen as Suthep make such solemn declarations. Also noteworthy that there were no comments of support. Promoting OTOP, shedding some light on the plight of the disdavantaged in a society with a huge rich-poor gap was also noteworthy for its' absence. Is it any wonder that the pro-democracy Red Shirts have such a huge following.

Edited by Ferwert

The parts we have heard of so far wont attract much of a global audience and therefore little advertsing revenue. If it is aimed at being international then some extra channels will be needed. It will be interesting to see what these are and how it will develop or if it just becomes another bunch of channels aimed purely at a sector of the Thai market.

Running media empires can be extremely expensive if the advertsing bit isnt considered carefully.

The 100 channels exists as a satalite consorteum,

but he is only investing in setting up 3 and taking credit like he is making the others too.

Still has to be licensed to access here.

How can he have 1 billion free when he shouldn't have ANY MONEY outside of Thailand

by Thai law.

Where did this money come from?

What non-taxed off shore deals has he done, and for how long,

ignoring the tax laws of his country that HE LEAD as PM???

How can someone under indictment for formenting insurrection

be given access to the public airwaves of Thailand via TV channels?

Are there not standards for probity as public broadcasters

than must be met during licensing procedures?

Similar to English football teams.

Or are broadcasters her allowed to be convicted crooks, but not football team owners?

but he is only investing in setting up 3 and taking credit like he is making the others too.

How can he have 1 billion free when he shouldn't have ANY MONEY outside of Thailand

by Thai law.

Or are broadcasters her allowed to be convicted crooks, but not football team owners?

He seems to have a good relation or even friendship with some Sheiks...

and remember the suitcases at the airport... "diplomatic luggage"

by Thai law.

Wow, am I to understand that you don't like this initiative Animatic. What is the problem, the OTOP thing, the poor people thing, the student thing? ....Granted, they are somewhat objectionable and disputatious, right?...Hmmmm, on the Thaksin "love-hate spectrum", where shall I put you....let me think! You wont have any trouble placing me on it. I am unabashedly pro-Thaksin and pro-pro-democracy Red Shirts. Nothing balanced about me. I think we are on opposite ends of a "spectrum teeter-totter" Animatic. Hope you are as skinny as I am - gulp!

Edited by Ferwert

by Thai law.

So he is effectively going to be the producer of three (probably free) programs for a satellite consortium. The three mentioned would be comparatibvekly easy to produce and send out on even a 24/7 basis. However, no satllite operator will pay to add things like that to their collection as they just arent popular enough and arent in the case of the educational; stuff a regulated requirement. If this scenario is correct the cost could even include buying transmission time. It is certainly far too high for production of low cost programming he talks of.

It is nice to see I helped you understand the reality of OTOP 'Plus', being a small-economy program providing support for many hard working people. Nice to see you stop dumping on it as you did in other posts.

What are you taling about? What and where did I dump on Otop???

by Thai law.

He seems to have a good relation or even friendship with some Sheiks...

and remember the suitcases at the airport... "diplomatic luggage"

Webfact,

Yes, I would suggest that while ever hes got money to spend in the almost broke emirate of Dubai, that the Sheiks will welcome him with open arms.....any investment there at this time is good for them.

The best thing about it is when they have finished extracting what they can from him he will become yesterdays news.....a bit like he should be here in Thailand. :)

Otop has many problems, all stemming from the fact that villagers were practically forced to become businessmen, without any skills or training, and with general fail rates for the first time businesses, what else was expected?

There are many established businesses that took advantage of OTOP promotions, including free advertising from the government, these businesses keep the overall sales numbers up and let Otop promoters keep a brave face, no one wants to admit the failure of their beloved Thaksin brilliant idea. Rich folks were conned by Elite card, poor folks by Otop. Some benefited, others can chalk it up for experience.

If Thaksin want to provide them with free advertising on TV - fine. If he wants to charge them for that - good luck with that.

Results of the paycheck?

Right now the unemployment figures about a million lower than projected. At least in some part the money spent on buying stuff kept manufacturers in business.

Otop provides employment, too, but it should pay for its own promotions itself. Otherwise it's unsustainable.

I recon the government direct support for it runs in tens of billions of baht, and it's about time they should learn to stand on their own feet - it's been what, five years already?

This money doesn't fall from the sky, btw. It's money taken from other, productive Thai businesses and taxpayers. How long are they supposed to be robbed of their earned income that is spent on preventing Thaksin's pet project from bankrupsy instead?

Isn't it about time he should start paying his own money to promote his schemes, if they can't sustain themselves. From that point of view, I welcome his investment in Otop channel.

It is nice to see I helped you understand the reality of OTOP 'Plus', being a small-economy program providing support for many hard working people. Nice to see you stop dumping on it as you did in other posts.

What are you taling about? What and where did I dump on Otop???

On one of the other threads 'Plus'. I could take the time to look it up, but never mind, you did it again on this thread - posting #17. I think the OTOP is a hel_l-of-an-idea, and could only be conjured up by someone looking beyond the elite of Thailand. I agree with you however, that I am sure there were some failures as there is with all small-business start-ups. Have you ever questioned why Abhisit and friends jettisoned the program so fast?????? I wont go any further than this.

Edited by Ferwert

OTOP gives jobs to people expecially poor. JOBS. Better than giving out free 2,000 Baht. What's the result of that check?

Government officials were under-the-gun with Thaksin. They dont like him. They are Abhisit's constituancy, and hence were plied further with the 2,000 Baht thing. The reason these Government Officials in their fancy uniforms turned on Thaksin, is because he forced them off their arrogant perches behind Government counters and to behave like civil SERVANTS.

Koo82...you just received the highest accolade possible. I took the time to look at your profile, and read your lengthy "my content" piece. I have a political-junkie wife steeped in Thai political history,and a professional in her own right. Upon reading your "my content" narrative, she exclaimed: "EVERYTHING Koo82 says is correct. I would love to meet him". I would encourage other posters to read Koo82's narrative.

Have you ever questioned why Abhisit and friends jettisoned the program so fast?

I don't know what you are talking about, visiting a big Otop store was part of my Phuket tour program just a couple of weeks ago.

They are doing rather well and I don't think they are scared of Abhisit in any way.

OTOP is fine,

but as I have observed first hand in several OTOP shops,

it is selling, mostly too many tourist market 'gew gaws' as someone noted above,

and with no tourists comes no sales. I have bought from OTOP

and have no intrinsic issue with the basic idea. Create small companies in most villages.

But as noted it should and could be made sustainable

and not so dependent on "Quality Tourists" for it's survival.

And limiting this village largess to JUST ONE product also limits the skills

and local work base to one backed product, and not the greater amount of

products that COULD be made.

Home Shopping channel for OTOP... who exactly is the market??

Other Thais?

International mail order credit card sales? ( Thailand not high on trusted CC sales)

Tourists in their hotel rooms, who can just go outside and buy things?

OTOP TV, a basically OK idea but not hardly though through except

as a sop for the OTOP red shirt worker bees.

By your claim that ONLY Thaksin made the civil service service civil society.

Seems some how that it's just was gilding the lilly, without the lilly.

Edited by animatic

I think the OTOP is a hel_l-of-an-idea, and could only be conjured up by someone looking beyond the elite of Thailand.

so whose idea was it really ?

I'm pretty sure it was Thaksin's personal initiative and, in my opinion, whilst it was poorly executed in many respects, the core idea of generating low level activity, sales and income was brilliant.

As way of creating jobs and increased independence it was, and still is, an excellent idea.

In a sensible country it would be strongly encouraged and promoted.

Instead, as seems usual here, a good idea gets beaten by general lack of education, pirated by vested interests and the follow the pack mentality that hinders innovation.

I think his OTOP concept was good and deserves more credit.

The TV ( television channel ) idea is a masterstroke from an adept, clever and cunning politician.

If he can pull this off, it will very much strengthen his hand and could even be good for Thailand in the long term.

Brilliant idea.

How does the idea of a Thai style " Open University Channel " appeal ???

I know it does to me.

Phil

i predicted he would do something like this in the "big suprise thread" - something big in the line of education.

i agree with some of the other posters, its a great idea with a lot of potential. its also very creative

Edited by mc2

I think the OTOP is a hel_l-of-an-idea, and could only be conjured up by someone looking beyond the elite of Thailand.

I'm pretty sure it was Thaksin's personal initiative and, in my opinion, whilst it was poorly executed in many respects, the core idea of generating low level activity, sales and income was brilliant.

As way of creating jobs and increased independence it was, and still is, an excellent idea.

Instead, as seems usual here, a good idea gets beaten by general lack of education, pirated by vested interests and the follow the pack mentality that hinders innovation.

The TV ( television channel ) idea is a masterstroke from an adept, clever and cunning politician.

If he can pull this off, it will very much strengthen his hand and could even be good for Thailand in the long term.

Brilliant idea.

I know it does to me.

Phil

a brilliant idea?

a master stroke?

pirated, oh yes, about the only true thing in your wholly biased statement

how much do get paid for this propganda?

you (and countless others) have obviously never seen the Thai national educational channels DLTV 1-10 on True

otherwise you would know where Thickskin stole the idea from

hardly original

Edited by timekeeper

i predicted he would do something like this in the "big suprise thread" - something big in the line of education.

i agree with some of the other posters, its a great idea with a lot of potential. its also very creative

creative?

great idea?

big in education?

you (and countless others on this forum ) have obviously never seen the ten Thai national educational channels DLTV 1-10 on True

Brilliant idea.

I know it does to me.

Phil

a brilliant idea?

a master stroke?

pirated, oh yes, about the only true thing in your wholly biased statement

you (and countless others) have obviously never seen the Thai national educational channels DLTV 1-10 on True

hardly original

Clearly more than you ..............

" The TV ( television channel ) idea is a masterstroke from an adept, clever and cunning politician."

That's hardly a paean is it ??

Perhaps I should have added the word sly, to make it easier for you to understand.

phil.

Otop was not Thaksin's idea - he copied it off Japanese.

Implementation was all his, though.

In tourist areas they might do ok, but this kind of stuff was on sale there long before Otop, and it will be on sale long after, and they don't particularly care what it's called now. They just use the Otop name for tax purposes. Outside of the beaten track the original One Tamboon One Products can't sell shit, that's why they used to set various Otop markets and fairs aroudn the country but now they can't sell shit at those either, as most of these products are copycats. And if the government doesn't organise those fairs and promote them on national TV, they are ghost towns.

The OTOP buzz has worn off long ago, now they are surviving on their intrinsic values or whatever it's called in marketing.

I have absolutely no idea what the Otop TV channel is supposed to achieve. Thai shopping programs are not the most riveting stuff, there's a reason they put them on air only way past midnight when no one is watching.

To say that it's som kind of a "masterstroke" requires a very high degree of adulation for the person.