Motorbike Taxis And Drivers

DJ Pat

I'm sure that some of these motorbike taxi drivers are intent on 'impressing the farang' in some cases, and though it is quite an honour, I just wish they'd be sensible when going about it.

Examples:

Immedietly hitting 60-70kph upon departure in hostile traffic conditions

Going the wrong way down a busy road, avoiding other vehicles and / or bikes at the last minute

Trying to overtake a coach or truck round the outside on a blind corner

Being drunk and trying to hit 100 down a bumpy soi and laughing about it.....sorry, but I place more than an ounce of value on my life thanks

Crawling down to a snails pace to negotiate speed humps, thus causing the engine to splutter and die in most cases

Almost losing the skin on either arm as we go around a speed hump

Riding over a soi dog's tail, thats not funny

There are many different species of drivers and motorbike gangs, too....

The dark skinned red-eyed guy with a bottle of m-150 glued to his hand..found on most street corners

The young overkeen guy with an unsuitable bike, usually only doing the job part time so he can buy another tiny blue flourescent light for his spokes

The veteran with an unlit half smoked roll-up in his mouth who goes too slow

The obviously drunk overkeen 'up-for-it' bloke who would take you to Chiang Mai if you asked nicely

The occasional female drivers in the Lat Phrao area, a welcome change

The yellow-jacketed guys opposite Major Ratchayothin...whats that all about?

The bunch of wheeler dealers on the corner of Thong Lor Soi 9

The awkward motorbike taxi system by Thong Lor BTS, why not on the corner? Why does Bangkoks most congested piece of pavement need to be negotiated before hoping that the gang of motorbike taxis noticed you frantically waving accross the road?

Edited by DJ Pat

Driving one handed while chatting on thier cell phone and negotiating the tiny crack between a bus and a lorry.

Also the fact that they all wear what I call 'upside down cornflake bowls' on thier heads, really isn't reasuring in the way of safety, on the very rare occasion I'm offered a cornflake bowl, it's usually 3 sizes to big, slips off the back of my head and I get choked by the chin strap, whizzing along at 50Kph :o

• 2 weeks later...
I'm sure that some of these motorbike taxi drivers are intent on 'impressing the farang' in some cases, and though it is quite an honour, I just wish they'd be sensible when going about it.

Examples:

Immedietly hitting 60-70kph upon departure in hostile traffic conditions

Going the wrong way down a busy road, avoiding other vehicles and / or bikes at the last minute

Trying to overtake a coach or truck round the outside on a blind corner

Being drunk and trying to hit 100 down a bumpy soi and laughing about it.....sorry, but I place more than an ounce of value on my life thanks

Crawling down to a snails pace to negotiate speed humps, thus causing the engine to splutter and die in most cases

Almost losing the skin on either arm as we go around a speed hump

Riding over a soi dog's tail, thats not funny

There are many different species of drivers and motorbike gangs, too....

The dark skinned red-eyed guy with a bottle of m-150 glued to his hand..found on most street corners

The young overkeen guy with an unsuitable bike, usually only doing the job part time so he can buy another tiny blue flourescent light for his spokes

The veteran with an unlit half smoked roll-up in his mouth who goes too slow

The obviously drunk overkeen 'up-for-it' bloke who would take you to Chiang Mai if you asked nicely

The occasional female drivers in the Lat Phrao area, a welcome change

The yellow-jacketed guys opposite Major Ratchayothin...whats that all about?

The bunch of wheeler dealers on the corner of Thong Lor Soi 9

The awkward motorbike taxi system by Thong Lor BTS, why not on the corner? Why does Bangkoks most congested piece of pavement need to be negotiated before hoping that the gang of motorbike taxis noticed you frantically waving accross the road?

Blue ones are even harder to spot, and the gang near my building a dissapear at 6pm and I have to walk miles to find a ride, bastards

Also the fact that they all wear what I call 'upside down cornflake bowls' on thier heads, really isn't reasuring in the way of safety, on the very rare occasion I'm offered a cornflake bowl, it's usually 3 sizes to big, slips off the back of my head and I get choked by the chin strap, whizzing along at 50Kph

wow you sure are game shola - I'd rather risk a crash helmetless than risk putting one of those 'helmets' on; with the dandruf and ecsema glued to it by the grease, and the lice running down my neck :o

Also the fact that they all wear what I call 'upside down cornflake bowls' on thier heads, really isn't reasuring in the way of safety, on the very rare occasion I'm offered a cornflake bowl, it's usually 3 sizes to big, slips off the back of my head and I get choked by the chin strap, whizzing along at 50Kph

wow you sure are game shola - I'd rather risk a crash helmetless than risk putting one of those 'helmets' on; with the dandruf and ecsema glued to it by the grease, and the lice running down my neck :o

Well I did have a slim chance of being ok in an accident, with the 1 in 20 times I'm offered a cornflake bowl, but now Pandit you have secured my fate and I will always be 100% vunerable!

:D:D:D

I found the BKK motorbike taxis to be fast, every time. Not a problem for me as I ride quite fast myself. Since I've been in Pattaya I bought my own bike so I hardly ever need to use the local taxi riders. On the few occasions I've had to, I've found them maddeningly slow.

well, got to ask myself (and all of you bkk-residents as well): isn't it same-same dangerous simply to WALK at so-to-say pedestrian? Imho, having a motobike taxi ride is about the same risk. IF I am in the need of rapid transportation, a mb-ride has to be my favourite choice. Life is a risk whereever you are, whatever you do.