Corruption Set To Explode, Predicts Academic

george

Corruption set to explode, predicts academic

corruption.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A renowned Thai political critic has predicted a major increase in corruption under the new government.

The Thai Rak Thai (TRT)’s landslide victory in the general election early this month will significantly change every aspect of the Thai society, the academic and political critic, Theerayuth Boonmee, has warned.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s one-party government, which will be formed soon, should be classified as a dictatorial government because of its tight grip over the parliament, he said.

Mr. Theerayuth compared the next government to that of Gen. Sarit Thanarat, who was the Thai prime minister four decades ago.

The authoritarian power of Gen. Sarit’s government created massive corruption because there were no checks or balances on his power.

Corruption has, therefore, plagued the Thai society for decades in policy and kick backs, he said.

Many politicians and business groups have entered politics to secure power and wealth.

Prime Minister Thaksin should listen to criticisms and ensure Thais are able to participate in the country’s political system.

The Thai public must develop strategies on monitoring the government's conducts to match the “Thaksin system” in order to offset the weakened opposition in the parliament.

--TNA 2005-02-28

No, we don't have it. We just hand him a gun and all he has to do is telling the another guy who sits next to him, "Hey, I think I'm gonna shoot someone if it's ok with you."

Golf :o

Edited by Golf

I wonder - do all academicians in this country express their opinions on this issue or only this one ? and do they all agree with this one ? coz seems to be he is the only one who always talks. is he sort of media's favorite - or voice of people, or of opposition or what?

and then - do all the news report only this sort of opinions? I mean - won't it be interesting to hear all the other, especially different opinions for change. otherwise the selection of these kind particularly toned news clippings might seem subjective and prejudiced somewhat. because so far only negative things shown....

ah, yeah BTW - perhaps that academician would like to be PM himself? surely he thinks he would perform better and be very fair and root out the corruption and all the wrongs he fights for ?

Edited by aaaaaa

I think since the opposition is so weak now. This guy came out and talk louder. He used to make few comments here and there, but this time after gen. election, he thinks Toxin has become too powerful so he has to speak out.

It's all my guess so I might be wrong...

Golf

so the rich get even richer and the poor get even poorer , more unevenly distributed wealth ..

Yep, that's where we are right now. Scary! The gap bewteen the rich and the poor is enormous and we allow this to happen. It happens to many Third World countries including Thailand. Only few super-rich families enjoy all benefits and advantages. Rich families got some pieces of that, and whatever left they throw it to the poor.

Golf

The brother in law's having a tham bun baan, merit making ceremony for his new house, but realized that he was a bit short on the planned bill. So off he went to the village fund and got the shortfall at 6% for a year. It's known here as the Thaksin Village Fund. He's very happy with the govt.... especially when it puts the boot into southerners. Do i need to add that he lives in Chiang Mai?

Myself, I don't know if I should feel sorry for this poor , pillaged , degraded land or not. "Snouts to the trough boys! Snouts to the trough." Or as the Thais say, "Kin muang", which translates literally as "eating the country"......uninhindered.

corruption.jpg

BANGKOK: --  A renowned Thai political critic has predicted a major increase in corruption under the new government.

The Thai Rak Thai (TRT)’s landslide victory in the general election early this month will significantly change every aspect of the Thai society, the academic and political critic, Theerayuth Boonmee, has warned.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s one-party government, which will be formed soon, should be classified as a dictatorial government because of its tight grip over the parliament, he said.

Mr. Theerayuth compared the next government to that of Gen. Sarit Thanarat, who was the Thai prime minister four decades ago.

The authoritarian power of Gen. Sarit’s government created massive corruption because there were no checks or balances on his power.

Corruption has, therefore, plagued the Thai society for decades in policy and kick backs, he said.

Many politicians and business groups have entered politics to secure power and wealth.

Prime Minister Thaksin should listen to criticisms and ensure Thais are able to participate in the country’s political system.

The Thai public must develop strategies on monitoring the government's conducts to match the “Thaksin system” in order to offset the weakened  opposition in the parliament.

--TNA 2005-02-28

You only have to look at the front page of todays Bangkok Post, to realise that corruption under Thaksins command is going to flourish.

His commerce Minister has tried to push through a deal between Thailand and China which ultimately means China buying Longan far below the median prices set by the Farmers Assistance Policy Committee.(between 20 and40% less)

This ministers defence was that the prices had come down since Jan 13th when the median prices were set.

For those of us who have lived here for some time, we all know that the powers that be certain ministers were going to receive certain envelopes etc etc At worst this minister is an incompetent fool who has got as much business sense and negotiating skills as my little toe.

So this begs the question. If Thaksin is so against all this corruption and as the ex CEO of a huge company who would certainly not put up with this kind of incompetence,WHY HAS THIS MINISTER STILL GOT HIS JOB????

corruption.jpg

BANGKOK: --  A renowned Thai political critic has predicted a major increase in corruption under the new government.

The Thai public must develop strategies on monitoring the government's conducts to match the “Thaksin system” in order to offset the weakened  opposition in the parliament.

--TNA 2005-02-28

You only have to look at the front page of todays Bangkok Post, to realise that corruption under Thaksins command is going to flourish.

His commerce Minister has tried to push through a deal between Thailand and China which ultimately means China buying Longan far below the median prices set by the Farmers Assistance Policy Committee.(between 20 and40% less)

This ministers defence was that the prices had come down since Jan 13th when the median prices were set.

For those of us who have lived here for some time, we all know that the powers that be certain ministers were going to receive certain envelopes etc etc At worst this minister is an incompetent fool who has got as much business sense and negotiating skills as my little toe.

So this begs the question. If Thaksin is so against all this corruption and as the ex CEO of a huge company who would certainly not put up with this kind of incompetence,WHY HAS THIS MINISTER STILL GOT HIS JOB????

With it's current spread over the country, I can hardly see how it can explode. :D Unless of course they plan to export it under some OTOP scheme ? :o

It is about the danger of one party political systems. The lack of checks and balances.

Not about the fact if the man in charge has a moustache or not.

Communism, fascism, olichargism.

Albert Einstein: Hereby I present my theory of relativism.

Dr. Taksin and Mr. aaaa in choir: You didn't have a haircut, so we don't believe you.

It doesn't make Dr. Taksin a dictator. It is about the principles and the dangers from within the system.

Dr. Patpong hits the point exactly.

It is about the danger of one party political systems. The lack of checks and balances.

Not about the fact if the man in charge has a moustache or not.

Communism, fascism, olichargism.

Albert Einstein: Hereby I present my theory of relativism.

Dr. Taksin and Mr. aaaa in choir: You didn't have a haircut, so we don't believe you.

It doesn't make Dr. Taksin a dictator. It is about the principles and the dangers from within the system.

Dr. Patpong hits the point exactly.

Yes!!! Why this peculiar obsession Thais have with HAIRCUTS? Two centimeters longer than the norm and nobody takes you seriously...

:o

I now look like a frigin boy scout in order to be able to make Thai people respect my opinions, which are exactly the same as before, when I had shoulderlength hair.

Meadish explains it in the post before yours. :D

yeah - I've read it. BUT he explained about haircut ONLY - and didn't exlain how it should be funny or especially related to me (I don't care how it related to T.) :D as I recall - I never mentioned anything about haircuts, nor am I thai, nor I care ! Let Limbo and meadish and who ever else have their own styled haircuts ! :o what he11 it has to do with me ?