Bangkok Airways Crash in Koh Samui

SilentReader

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

INN News Agency said about 40 passengers were injured. Samui district chief Sakchai Phalit said the plane had 68 passengers on board.

He said the runway became slippery following heavy rains which started at 1 pm.

A propeller plane ATR72 of Bangkok Airways veered off the runway shortly after touch down during heavy southwestern cross winds and heavy rain. It crossed a patch of grass and smashed with it's nose into the building of the airport fire fighters. Within seconds the fire fighters were laying a foam carpet over the plane, so there was no fire braking out.

I saw it happen from our terrace at about 14.13. After a few minutes the first emergency cars of the airport and a little bit later some ambulances from various hospitals arrived on the scene. I am sure there are quite many injuries since the plane was still quite fast when it hit the building.

Carlos

post-20365-1249374434_thumb.jpg

Bangkok Airways jet skids off runway

Number of injuries and fatalities are not yet revealed.

KOH SAMUI: -- A Bangkok Airway aircraft skidded of runway at Samui Airport and crashed into an aviation control tower on Tuesday.

The accident took place at about 2.30pm and as of 3pm, there was still unclear on the number of injuries and fatalities.

Rescue teams and workers rushed to the scene to evacuate the passengers of the ill-fated flight.

Initial report said that the 75-seat aircraft from Krabi province was landing at the Samui airport when it slid of the runway reportedly because of the poor weather.

The Nation's reporter who was at the scene said the aircraft was not caught on fire when the crash happened.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-04

Thai tourist jet skids off runway

Several passengers have been injured after a Bangkok Airways flight skidded off the runway on a popular Thai tourist island, reports said.

One report said the domestic airliner with about 70 people on board hit the airport control tower on Koh Samui.

A company official told AFP that all passengers were evacuated, but said an unspecified number were wounded.

The plane was arriving from the western Thai town of Krabi, which is also a popular tourist destination.

Bookmark with:

Delicious Digg reddit Facebook StumbleUpon

What are these?

E-mail this to a friend Printable version

Samui is a major hub for Bangkok Airways, so this will badly affect them. Condolences to the deceaseds families. From what I can find the last accident for them was also in Samui with a Dasd DH8 series. That was in 1990, the ATR is also I believe quite well thought of.

What are the winds like? It's very wild on the Andaman side in Ranong.

In Khao Sok, heavy rain and f...ing strong wind since yesterday (should be over before night hopefully). I guess it went to Samui (coming from ouest for sure but may be southern Ranong, happy you!)

Fatal Bangkok Airways crash on Samui

Published: 4/08/2009 at 03:16 PM A Bangkok Airways plane is reported to have crashed at Samui aiport. Ten people are reported to have died.

Flight PG 26 crashed on arriving from Krabi province, according to TV reports.

The plane swerved off the runway and crashed into a building near the control tower.

Initial reports said 10 people were believed killed and at least 41 injured.

Department of Civil Aviation director-general Kannika Dechatiwongse said 68 passengers and four cabin crew boarded the plane but there was no cnfirmationof death.

My thoughts go out to all involved in what must be an extremely traumatic experience and also to the families of the casualties.

Following the One 2 Go crash in Phuket in 2007, which was also landing in extremely windy and wet conditions, not dissimilar to this, surely something must be addressed here, or is a case of, as someone already said, it's a hazard that you accept when using the air as a method of transport and these accidents will continue to happen. I'm not sure what to think.

One thing that is for sure, Thailand, whilst still being a 3rd world country has a much better safety record than its neighbours, most specifically Indonesia.

Sincerely hoping the best for all involved.

For the record, it's not a jet (see photos).

All the news agencies had to do was Google ATR 72. :)

Half right & half wrong. An ATR72 is actually a prop-jet aircraft, in that there's actually a jet turbine engine which powers the propellors.

just came back from viewing the accident at samui airport. It is pretty obvious the plane skidded off the runway, from what I could see thought the plane looked like to hit the firestation building, or was next to it. Lots of people parked at the departure section of the samui airport. Did not see any smoke or fire. No idea on injuries or dead. Lots of vehicles though near the plane and ambuliences though.

Update:

SAMUI'S ACCIDENT

Bangkok Airway jet skids off runway

KOH SAMUI: -- A Bangkok Airway aircraft skidded of runway at Samui Airport and crashed into an aviation control tower on Tuesday.

The accident took place at about 2.30pm and as of 3pm, there was still unclear on the number of injuries and fatalities.

Rescue teams and workers rushed to the scene to evacuate the passengers of the ill-fated flight.

Initial report said that the 75-seat aircraft from Krabi province was landing at the Samui airport when it slid of the runway reportedly because of the poor weather.

The Nation's reporter who was at the scene said the aircraft was not caught on fire when the crash happened.

Samui district chief Sakchai Johpalit said rescue workers were evacuating the injured passengers from the aircraft.

The aircraft carried altogether 68 passengers.

The accident took place as the island was hit by consecutive days of heavy rains. Heavy rains continued after the accident happened.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-04

Thank you for the photo Carlos - does not look too serious, I mean, no flames or smoke or wreckage. Thanks to ThaiVisa for the newsflash email. I knew I signed up for some reason!

No from our side it does not look too bad. But I am sure, the nose of the plane is badly damaged. The left wing also damaged the roof of the building. It must have been a hel_l of a bang when it crashed into the building.

But, thank god, no fire.

Carlos

A Bangkok Airways plane caught fire Tuesday afternoon after it skidded out of and crashed into the Control Tower while landing at its Samui Airport Tuesday afternoon.

The accident happened at 2:30 pm.

The flight arrived from Krabi.

INN News Agency said about 40 passengers were injured. Samui district chief Sakchai Phalit said the plane had 68 passengers on board.

He said the runway became slippery following heavy rains which started at 1 pm.

Officials said the plane was badly damaged and some passengers were trapped inside.

The Nation

Bangkok Airways flight crashes in Samui

Whether a luxury hotel break or budget accommodation, book your hotel reservations online and find competitive hotel rates for the hotel room of your choice.

Early reports suggest a plane has crashed at Samui airport in Thailand.

Bangkok Airways flight PG266 arriving from Krabi is reported to have skidded on landing, hitting the control tower at the airport at around 14:45 local time.

The captain of the ATR 72 has reportedly been killed, while several injuries are also feared.

Poor weather is thought to have played a part, with heavy rain and strong winds reported in the area.

More to follow.

-- travelbite.co.uk 2009-08-04

Half right & half wrong. An ATR72 is actually a prop-jet aircraft, in that there's actually a jet turbine engine which powers the propellors.

No, all wrong. Those are not classified as a jet. It's a turboprop.