Reading And Writing

tgeezer

I wonder if anyone is interested in taking a sample sentence of corrrect prose and working out the duties of each word.

I am re-reading my book now and was quite happy with what I understood of it the first time but now want a bit more from it.

eg. ธรรมชาติของภาษาโดยทั่วไปประกอบด้วยเสียงและความหมาย

Needless to say I think that I have already done this one but I have just lumped the whole of ธรรมขาติของภาษา as the subject but because the sentence would be complete without ธรรมชาติของ it would not say quite the same thing, so is it a preamble to 'language'? The following lines: ในการใช้ภาษาไทยให้ถูกต้องและประสิ่ทธิผลนั้น ผู้ใช้ควรคำนืงถึงการใช้ ฯลฯ what is นั้น saying?

This is just a flier and I realize that it may fall on 'stoney ground'.

what is นั้น saying?

It refers back to the entire preceding phrase and doesn't really add much to it except for signalling that the phrase is now 'over' and something else will follow.

One commonly sees this type of postponed นี้ and นั้น in formal texts.

In some grammar book I've got somewhere it says that นั้น and นี้ are used to emphasise the topic/header in the same way you m ight use 'well' after a subject has been introduced and before the point is made:

In using Thai correctly and effectively, well, you should...(in fact, I can't make sense of what follows the header? What's the advice? Can anyone understand the meaning here? )

what is นั้น saying?

It refers back to the entire preceding phrase and doesn't really add much to it except for signalling that the phrase is now 'over' and something else will follow.

One commonly sees this type of postponed นี้ and นั้น in formal texts.

In some grammar book I've got somewhere it says that นั้น and นี้ are used to emphasise the topic/header in the same way you m ight use 'well' after a subject has been introduced and before the point is made:

In using Thai correctly and effectively, well, you should...(in fact, I can't make sense of what follows the header? What's the advice? Can anyone understand the meaning here? )

Thanks, I was having trouble ignoring it, and although I don't like to translate too much I still like to know the effect of all of a text.

I should have said that it is from the introduction to a chapter on เสียงและอักษรไทย so it is about making sounds.

Meadish is right คำนึง is the word. .. the speaker should คำนึง using เสียงในถาษา correctly in order to be able to convey clear meaning.

Later it gives this definition of เสียงในภาษา หมายถึงเสียงของมนุษย์ที่เปล่งออกมาเพื่อใช้สื่อความหมาย I think that that is 'pronunciation'.

Thanks! New word for me: คำนึง (v) = to think, consider

I thought meadish was some kind of magician with his translation, till I realised that, even after his spelling correction, I was mis-reading คำนึง as คำหนึ่ง !