Security Beefed Up For Monday’s Udd Rally: Govt To Reject Thaksin Pardon Petition

george

Security beefed up for Monday’s UDD rally: Government to reject Thaksin pardon petition

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- A question lingers over whether plans by the United Front for Democracy (UDD) to submit a petition Monday seeking a royal pardon for fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra will culminate, with the Government vowing to reject it.

The announcement came as preparations were stepped up to keep the UDD “red-shirts” separate from “blue-shirt” supporters of Phak Bhum Jai Thai Party (BJPT) leader Newin Chidchob, appearing in the Supreme Court across the street.

Thailand Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday said that only Shinawatara or his family could seek a royal pardon and that in cases such as this, the Office of His Majesty’s Private Secretary would ordinarily seek the government's opinion on the petition.

He said if the Government believed the petition did not meet the provisions, it could dismiss it for non-compliance.

He said that if the redshirts filed a general-complaint petition, the government would look into the matter, but a political petition was another matter.

Mr Abhisit did not say how, where or when the petition will be rejected, but prior to submission to royal authorities the signatures must first be declared valid by the Justice Ministry.

The vow to reject the petition came as red-shirt leaders announced that five monks and 10 red-shirt supporters will submit their petition to His Majesty’s private secretary at Wiset Chaisi Gate of the Grand palace Monday.

Weera Musikkaphong, a UDD leader, said 1,000 monks and another 1,000 red-shirt supporters will march from Thammasat University to the Grand Palace to support those presenting it.

He also said the disgraced former prime minister will phone-in around 10.00am Monday to greet and express his appreciation to his supporters prior to the petitions submission.

At the same time as the red-shirts are rallying to submit its petition, the nearby Supreme Court will be delivering its verdict in the Bt1.4 billion (about $US41 million) corruption case involving the Agriculture Ministry's purchase of 90 million rubber saplings between 2004 and 2006, in which Newin, and 43 others are defendants.

At the time of the purchase Newin was deputy agriculture minister in the then Shinawatra administration.

Deputy Interior Minister Boonjong Wongtrairat confirmed Saturday that Newin will attend the hearing on Monday, accompanied by key members of the BJPT to provide moral support.

In preparation for any potential clash the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) last night sent 200 municipal police to check the functionality of CCTVs installed at key locations around Sanam Luang, with security officials being stationed at some to prevent anyone from damaging them before Monday’s rallies.

The BMA also said it will station mobile medical units in the area Monday morning.

The preparations came as Mr Abhisit instructed caretaker national police chief General Wichian Pojphosri to try to prevent clashes between the two rival groups and Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Thanathip Sawangsaeng confirming the military was ready to help police if they needed it to maintain peace in the capital.

Mr Abhisit yesterday urged both groups to rally within the law, saying: "The country is now moving forward and there shouldn’t be any hindrance.

“I ask the two groups not to create any violence or problem for the country because the country and people will be affected eventually,” he said.

Earlier in the week Metropolitan police commander, Police Lieutenant General Worapong Chiewpreecha, said up to 100,000 redshirt supporters were expected to gather for the petition delivery, but he did not expect any violence.

General Wichian has said 10 Companies, or about 1,500 police will be deployed at Sanam Luang commencing at 6pm Sunday for the red-shirts rally, with another 17 Companies on standby.

Special Branch police chief, Police Lieutenant General Theeradet Rodphothong, yesterday estimated that about 20,000 red-shirt supporters from northern and northeastern provinces were planning to converge on Bangkok for the petition submission.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-16

Lets see;

Blue shirts across the street pissed if Newin gets convicted.

Even if it is legitimate and he deserves it.

Redshirts across the street pissed if the petition is not accepted.

Even as it is not even reviewed yet.

Combustible?

Any chance this petition submission date is NOT INTENTIONALLY chosen to coincide?

0%,

couldn't pick it better from red point of view.

Team Thaksin's wants social unrest, chaos and rioting in the streets to bring out the army.

Maybe not this time, but once the petition is rightly blown off,

they won't talk about the legal issues at stake,

but the emotional yet spurious ones ton upset their red base.

'See the government doesn't listen to your petition, they are evil elites bent on keeping you down.'

If he weren't such a grasping avaricious capitalist, he would sound down right commie left.

PM: Situation to be under control on Monday

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva Sunday expressed confidence that the police and military will be able to keep law and order when the red-shirt people hold a mass rally at Sanam Luang on Monday.

Abhisit said he had discussed the situation with Police Commissioner-General Patcharawat Wonsuwan and acting national police chief Pol Gen Wichien Pojphosri and the two expressed confidence that the situation would be under control.

Abhisit said police had coordinated with other security agencies to make sure that the law and order would prevail during the rally.

He said although some 20,000 or more people would gather at Sanam Luang, the security officials would be able to keep order.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-08-16

why exactly do monks have to step in?

Like other segments of society, Buddhism and monks are factionalized (in much the same way Christianity, Islam or Judaism have different denominations or sects that - even though notionally part of one religion - often disagree with each other, sometimes violently).

The Dhammakaya Sect is pro-Thaksin; the Santi Asoke Sect is pro-Chamlong. Then there is the Dhammayuttika Nikaya.

How does the PM "know" the petition will be rejected?

Sounds like another banana-republic PM to me...they just traded the color in office, and the punk of one party is down while the other one is up for now.

Let's see if Abhisit makes it past this petition/court date and the upcoming UBB meeting without more egg on his face.

The best thing he could have done was say nothing and let the petition get rejected (almost a given anyways) instead of playing into Thaksin's game, which is to get attention and keep his support base stocked for the upcoming election. This PM just helped keep fan the flames of discontent farther....he essentially fed his enemy's interest. And he was educated abroad? It sounds more and more like the only one in the government that got a proper Western education in politics is Thaksin, not that his getting back into office is a good idea....the best idea is to let this stupid fight fade to nothing so Thailand can go about becoming the nice semi-corrupt country with a decent economy it had before this crap all started.

Please help me understand - why exactly do monks have to step in? Did I miss the part where Thaksin became holy?

1,000 politicized monks is hoped to make Thaksin seem ordained from above,

divinely destined to lead, as most ancient rulers also searched out spiritual leaders to sanction them.

And not inconsequently kings and royal personages ALSO are preceded or followed by religious factions

Pomp and Circumcision to mark his arrival at the ultimate halls of power, as half suplicant, half lord,

attempting to appear on the same plane, if not same exalted level.

By going there he appears to raise himself.

By having others go there, and he need not, makes the appearance of even greater power;

My minions will make my supplications, I shall not need to. He then raises himself and diminishes...

It is an altogether disgusting exercise.

Some credulous souls will buy this claptrap and even see him as the Godhead he aspires to be seen as.

If enough are foolish enough to see him as a demi-god, anointed ruler, they might be a hard bunch to vanquish.

The man has delusions of grandeur, but is also savy enough to use them for all they are worth.

Cults of personality are always total cockups when running nations...

Edited by animatic

Mr Animatic,

The Petition date was chosen because it is a lucky day in the Buddhist calendar, it is only coincidence Mr newin and co will be buying their way out of a conviction across the road. Team Taksin has only ever called for democracy and a fair system and never for social unrest. The social unrest is a result of the Governments refusal and stalling to convict some parties, while it rushes in and instantly jails others when their crimes have been pretty much the same.

Most of the leaders of the red shirts are Politicians, Doctors, Lawyers and even a retired Judge. Do you really think these type of people advocate street violence and social unrest? if so, you need to grow up and listen to what the red shirts are actually asking for.

I watched with my own eyes the Blue shirts climbing out of the back of government lorries with pre gathered and cut hardwood sticks and then taunt the red shirts (including whole families) while firing catapults and shouting insults. That is what started the unrest in Pattaya, not calls from the red leaders.

In Thailand even the poorest of the poor have the right to petition. The only reason the Government might try to stop it, is because they are sh1t scared it may be accepted, not for any legal reasons.

monks on the streets mean that social problems, class devision and lack of democracy in thailand as well as a deepening economical crisis are consern of the clergy and that pardoning thaksin would help to improove in those areas.

as in vietnam, tibet or birma it's more diffucult to shoot at monks than students

Yes, lucky day,

and so perfectly lucky to match this trial across the street.

There are plenty of LUCKY days on any calendar...

This is the 'poorest of the poor' being used cynically by Thaksin's political machine

to get him a come home free pass, or divide the country, in an effort to

get back his 'richest of the rich' assets he stole from the country systematically.

If it were as simple as the poor petitioning the king I would support them.

Well if the reds hadn't been invading Pattaya to protest at the ASEAN meeting,

where they had no business the blues would not have been there either.

And the blues didn't attack the hotel did they. NOPE.

Taunting went both directions.

You can't spin this Pattaya incident to something good for red bad for blue.

Edited by animatic

The day is chosen for more conflict as normal. The petition as per the Law is illegal.

I do not suport the present or the past governements.

So do not come out with your normal trash.

Thaiksin has been convicted of a Crime and should return and start his sentence.

Give back some if not all the money he has Personely stolen from the Country.

Then he can show he is a Person to be trusted.

All the time he tries to cause further rifts He yes he is destroying his own country (So he Claims "His Country")

Just a Question have you ever Done any Time as a Monk!! Getting involved in politics like any religion getting involved is not allowed.

Mr Animatic,

The Petition date was chosen because it is a lucky day in the Buddhist calendar, it is only coincidence Mr newin and co will be buying their way out of a conviction across the road. Team Taksin has only ever called for democracy and a fair system and never for social unrest. The social unrest is a result of the Governments refusal and stalling to convict some parties, while it rushes in and instantly jails others when their crimes have been pretty much the same.

Most of the leaders of the red shirts are Politicians, Doctors, Lawyers and even a retired Judge. Do you really think these type of people advocate street violence and social unrest? if so, you need to grow up and listen to what the red shirts are actually asking for.

I watched with my own eyes the Blue shirts climbing out of the back of government lorries with pre gathered and cut hardwood sticks and then taunt the red shirts (including whole families) while firing catapults and shouting insults. That is what started the unrest in Pattaya, not calls from the red leaders.

In Thailand even the poorest of the poor have the right to petition. The only reason the Government might try to stop it, is because they are sh1t scared it may be accepted, not for any legal reasons.

The Petition date was chosen because it is a lucky day in the Buddhist calendar, it is only coincidence Mr newin and co..

Yeah, right.

They pushed the date back several times.

At one point it coincided with anniversary of Communist party kicking off armed strauggle against Thai state.

Please help me understand - why exactly do monks have to step in? Did I miss the part where Thaksin became holy?

I agree with the written above, can't understand that religion here chooses a crook above the Royal institution and, why must religion get involved in politics, haven't they learned from the middle east, USA, Vatican.

Leave politics to the politicians, they are already crooked enough!!

Mr Animatic,

Dear Irishbi,

and the violence in the streets of BKK, where that the docters and corrupt politicians and innocent families you're talking about??

And why had the reds had to be in Pattaya to disturb the Asean summit at the first place.

To keep the whole facts straight, by LAW is this petition illegal, the government is right to say so, because indeed only Thaxin or his family can ask 4 a pardon, and he's too much of a waNK** to come and face the music, so he tries to let others clean up his crap.

By doing so, by means of the UDD he turned it not in a personal matter, but in a political turmoil

Mr Animatic,

Dear Irishbi,

and the violence in the streets of BKK, where that the docters and corrupt politicians and innocent families you're talking about??

And why had the reds had to be in Pattaya to disturb the Asean summit at the first place.

To keep the whole facts straight, by LAW is this petition illegal, the government is right to say so, because indeed only Thaxin or his family can ask 4 a pardon, and he's too much of a waNK** to come and face the music, so he tries to let others clean up his crap.

By doing so, by means of the UDD he turned it not in a personal matter, but in a political turmoil

Nice article that pulls everything together into one place and gives a good overview of the different things happening. Doesn't look like it's going to be a very peaceful day. I guess if the government is going to reject the petition they'll reject it at the justice ministry as pointed out in the original story. That might keep the reds and the blues apart.

Yes, lucky day,

and so perfectly lucky to match this trial across the street.

There are plenty of LUCKY days on any calendar...

This is the 'poorest of the poor' being used cynically by Thaksin's political machine

to get him a come home free pass, or divide the country, in an effort to

get back his 'richest of the rich' assets he stole from the country systematically.

If it were as simple as the poor petitioning the king I would support them.

Well if the reds hadn't been invading Pattaya to protest at the ASEAN meeting,

where they had no business the blues would not have been there either.

And the blues didn't attack the hotel did they. NOPE.

Taunting went both directions.

You can't spin this Pattaya incident to something good for red bad for blue.

Mr. Animatic,

I like your standpoint and vies. You're usually the first to react on every flasnews, but I fully agree with your views.

Nevertheless, it is regretful to see a country, which before the existence of TOXIN was so nice to live in and to visit as tourist, has become such a mess and such a potentialy violent area for whoever wants to visit. And, regretful, all this disastrous downturn is coming as a curse and calamity to this beautiful nation for one single crook TOXIN who has been so smartly using populism policies with the poorest of the poor in order to enrich himself and his corporation to one of the richests of the rich in this world!

And these poor farmers from the north, they do not see this?????? Are these red shirts really so dumb or is there some financial compensation for the troubles they are causing coming from sources we all start to know? (and hereby I do not plead for the yellow shirts who were doing exactly the same!!!).

Thailand should recruit some Burmese Generals for a few years to rule this disastrous country, but the problem is that they might like it after a few years and stay, just as they are doing now in Burma!

Team Taksin has only ever called for democracy and a fair system and never for social unrest. The social unrest is a result of the Governments refusal and stalling to convict some parties, while it rushes in and instantly jails others when their crimes have been pretty much the same.

:)

Clearly you missed Thaksin's broadcasts, calling for social unrest on the streets during Red Songkran, or you could not honestly be making these claims.

You also fail to appreciate, it is the courts which pass down sentences here, not the government. Quite right too.

The stalling of court-cases has been mainly engineered by Thaksin, through his failure to return to Thailand where several cases are waiting to proceed, and the government have repeatedly called upon him to return to enable hearings to continue. Yet he continues to claim to be a 'fighter for justice', as long that is, as he himself isn't found guilty again. :D

Mr. Animatic,

I like your standpoint and vies. You're usually the first to react on every flasnews, but I fully agree with your views.

Nevertheless, it is regretful to see a country, which before the existence of TOXIN was so nice to live in and to visit as tourist, has become such a mess and such a potentialy violent area for whoever wants to visit. And, regretful, all this disastrous downturn is coming as a curse and calamity to this beautiful nation for one single crook TOXIN who has been so smartly using populism policies with the poorest of the poor in order to enrich himself and his corporation to one of the richests of the rich in this world!

And these poor farmers from the north, they do not see this?????? Are these red shirts really so dumb or is there some financial compensation for the troubles they are causing coming from sources we all start to know? (and hereby I do not plead for the yellow shirts who were doing exactly the same!!!).

Thailand should recruit some Burmese Generals for a few years to rule this disastrous country, but the problem is that they might like it after a few years and stay, just as they are doing now in Burma!

My sister-in-law will be in Sanam Luang tomorrow.The elderly lady is a fanatic follower of Taksin.

Free bus travel,food and lodgings,but she refuses to talk about hard cash.

She had it before,this time she is to shy to talk about.

Maybe some advice from the bosses?Myself:I'm not Thai,have no voice about Thai politics,hope nobody will be harmed. :)

Mr Animatic,

Well,Well at last a poster with some semblance of sanity and observance of truth-----of course the Northern red shirts are having their say and why not DEMOCRATICALLY elected leader was removed from office by a kangaroo court who now haven't got the legal power or the guts to carry out the sentence given. Having been married to my Nakhonphanom Thai wife for 20 years and been living here permanently for the last 9 years it is very clear to me that that the man that MOST of you posters like to hate is the only man that has tried to do something for the POOR Northern people If that same man had enough business sense to understand that most of the voters in Thailand happen to be in the NORTH and let's not have any of the crap that they are stupid and have no brains and that's why they voted for him and his party---Yes gentlemen let's see how the various groups that also banned a democratically elected GOVERNMENT handle this ---one thing is obvious to anyone with only partial eyesight that this country has gone backwards very rapidly since his and his parties removal,and in parting ,the corruption in this country over the years is kindergarten stuff compared to some of the fiasco's that happened in the land of OZ. down under :)

Yes let us all pray, hope, convene with the infinite, or whatever we do,

that things go as peacefully as possible tomorrow.

It's a shame the world downturn is being blamed on those who had no hand in creating it,

by those who never did much but take credit for others hard decisions coming out of the LAST bad economy.

I think the main reason Thaksin isn't seen for what he is, is that the political machine still has a

strangle hold on both up country information and a hardcore base's sentimentality for a past,

that was never as rosie as painted today, that is lead by cynical leaders, proffering platitudes and hate speach.

It is classic despotic tactics: divide and conquer the easiest to control half,

then rule just enough people to control resources and their profits.

And keep most people wondering enough about what is truth to

never be sure, and so never make a move to either side.

Apathy projection from confusion and lack of information.

And blame EVERYTHING bad on the other side always and daily.

When one has so much money, that making more is no longer a challenge,

the need to control, searches more ego gratifying exercises, bigger challenges.

Power found and lost is a heady aphrodisiac... and temptation,

like sirens song calling sailors onwards and onto the rocks.

I can find several friends, here for decades, who have no hesitation in saying

it went down hill fast when Thaksin took over. Only to be handed over just

before an economic downturn which had nothing to do with Thailand politics.

BUT and here's a kicker;

The way Thaksin manipulated and grew the economy in Boom Times,

made it even MORE susceptible to being brought low by this Economic Crash,

that we are now bottoming out in. It left few options because the economy was turned

mostly towards exports, and with a weak baht, which later started to strengthen

JUST as the rest of the buyers started tanking.

Edited by animatic

Not wanting to advertise, but there is a decent discussion about the why's and wherefore's of the right to petition, and the right to grant pardons on Bangkok Pundit.

http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2009/08/...ns-and-law.html

Anyway, lets see what comes out tomorrow, it will no doubt be a fascinating day and lets hope, a safe one for all involved.

Mr Animatic,

Einally, someone who has listened and ignored the rhetoric of the corrupt class. I pray that The People of Thailand can free themselves from tyranny :D:D:) and be proud of their Nation.

Thaksin's rhetoric was that of the Corrupt Class until his level of corruption went beyond the pale.

He grasped to far within HIS CLASS and got slapped back down. But make no mistake

he was in that corrupt class you speak of.

He is just the same, no more, no less, for being nouveau riche partly,

and using the underclasses as a stepping stone to his empowerment. Not their empowerment.

I don't see the real feeling for the people he SHOULD have to be the breath of fresh air you claim he is.

Bringing Thaksin back and into power would unleash a tyranny of immense proportions.

As bad as the current too slowly changing groups may be ,

he would be fundamentally worse on profound levels.

I have said it before; It was Thaksin's OWN WORDS, AND ACTIONS that turned me against him.

Not the press, or some "corrupt class rhetoric". He's made his own bed.

Edited by animatic