I-tunes Is Filling My Hard Drive.

Richb2004v2

My i-tunes is using too much of my hard drive space. What can I do?

My D: drive is 40 gig and contains my 'programs' file and 'my documents' which includes 'My Music'. My i-tunes is in here and is about 30 gig. This together with other files leaves me only a couple of gig free. I am being given messages that the drive is almost full. Obviously as I add to my i-tunes library this problem will get worse. I have a 320 gig external drive that I keep my music backed up on. Would it be possible to delete the music file from the laptop and have i-tunes access the back up file on the external drive? Otherwise what other solutions are there?

Tried that program (on Windows) and it made a mess of everything (even changing file names) so quickly got rid of it (to have a mess of folders/sub/sub/sub folders forever) - but would expect you can make the choice of drive somewhere.

Change the location of the itunes folder in prferences>>>advanced and then browse to the backup location>> make sure that keep itunes organised is selected and it should then recorganise the Itunes Database so it reads of the external drive>> the way to check this after is by right clickin a song in the databse and 'open in explorer' if it then opens the song on the external drive then it has worked..

The other option is to delete all the songs and the database open up Itunes with a new DB set the itunes music folder to the external drive and then file>>add folder>>> and leave it for a few hours while it adds all the songs to the newly created DB (make sure that copy songs ISNT ticked)

Good luck