Spyware Nuker And Spybot

Wanderer

i recently had my home page continuiously hi-jacked and re-directed to 'searchforit' homepage. I had 'spybot', 'system mechanic' & 'spyhunter' installed but the problem kept coming back. I then bought 'spyware nuker' which sorted out the problem and have been using it for a couple of months and am happy with it as it seems to pick up alot of stuff. I then ran 'spybot' (which i rarely use) and it came up with the message that 'spyware nuker' was actually an adware/traking program and accused them of stealing a database from them. :o whats the history here as ? is it just sour grapes or something :D

i recently had my home page continuiously hi-jacked and re-directed to 'searchforit' homepage. I had  'spybot', 'system mechanic' & 'spyhunter' installed but the problem kept coming back. I then bought 'spyware nuker' which sorted out the problem and have been using it for a couple of months and am happy with it as it seems to pick up alot of stuff. I then ran 'spybot' (which i rarely use) and it came up with the message that 'spyware nuker' was actually an adware/traking program and accused them of stealing a database from them.  :o whats the history here as ? is it just sour grapes or something :D

CNET.com, who I would put high on my trusted list, gives it a good rating so I'd say its probably fine. Sounds like a bit of company rivalry going on.

cv

Thanks to slimdog, all of us have been enlightened, again.

I don't think anyone should really be suprised there are people out there who will use any method, legal or otherwise, to make money at your expense. And it's not just the small guys. Not too long ago a US Government report (FCC) named American Telephone & Telegraph, then the worlds largest telephone company, as the internets biggest spammer.

Free adware detection utilities such as Lavasoft's Ad-Aware and Patrick Kolla's SpyBot S&D are quite good, but in my opinion are not updated as often as they should be. For example, there were 18 days between Ad-Aware's last two updates. SpyBot updates appear about once every 2-3 weeks. (More here.)

I have found. like their antivirus counterparts, paid utilities such as Webroot's SpySweeper and Computer Associates PestPatrol are updated much more often. (SpySweeper's definations were updated yesterday and again today...a total of 5 times this past week alone.)

In the case of virus's, worms, trojans, etc., over 300 new versions (or varients) appear each week. Thus the reason people like Symantec, Trend and McAfee update their definitions daily. (Example here.) Even so, it is a difficult, expensive and time consuming job to provide protection against these malware.

When examining anti-spyware, I believe one should also examine/compare the number of definitions each adware detector provides, for example:

Definitions Comparison: (as of March 7, 2005)

Ad-Adware - 36,539

SpyBot S&D - 22,683

SpySweeper - 68,973

I'm paranoid by nature :o , so I run (manually) all the aforementioned AV and AS (anti-spyware). If asked, I would have to say that the current version of Webroot's SpySweeper is my favorite anti-spyware. Basically it takes a "picture" of your system when installed and constantly compares & notifies you of any important changes, so you can accept or reject those changes. I guess one could say its pro-active.

As with any AV or AS utility, its only as good as its last update.

cheers

:D

i recently had my home page continuiously hi-jacked and re-directed to 'searchforit' homepage. I had  'spybot', 'system mechanic' & 'spyhunter' installed but the problem kept coming back. I then bought 'spyware nuker' which sorted out the problem and have been using it for a couple of months and am happy with it as it seems to pick up alot of stuff. I then ran 'spybot' (which i rarely use) and it came up with the message that 'spyware nuker' was actually an adware/traking program and accused them of stealing a database from them.  :o whats the history here as ? is it just sour grapes or something :D

Hi,

Spywarenuker is discussed on this list of rogue/suspect anti-spyware products.

Looks like there were 2 versions, the first version being somewhat dodgy and the later one having cleaned up its act somewhat.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

SpySweeper[/b] and Computer Associates PestPatrol are updated much more often. (SpySweeper's definations were updated yesterday and again today...a total of 5 times this past week alone.)....

Just downloaded and ran SpySweeper:

ss2hl.jpg

Echo that about PestPatrol. Originally bought it 3 years ago as part of an offer with Zone Alarm (another highly respected programme - firewall) and have upgraded as new versions appeared. Never been troubled with spyware, trojans etc since.

thanks for all info guys /gals, just discovered through one of the links that 'spyhunter' also got the thumbs down although it did clear a recurring hijacking/registery problem last year (which spysweeper couldn't do) which i am really gratfull for as it was really messing everthing up ( the only fixes i could find involveld about 10 registory changes and then it would pop back up once you log on).so i will keep it it out especiallly as i paid for it. i 've also been using yahoo spy sweeper which picked up a keylogger although since then have found nothing . anyway thanks :D