Chiang Mai University

Tywais

For those who may be interested, starting today and for the next 3 days, the Chiang Mai University Student Science Day is in full swing. It alternates between universities and focuses on having grade and high school students from several provinces come and see what the university is like, specifically the sciences.

I was approached a few years ago for ideas for a display and recommended a Tesla Coil since I built one in high school and was a show stopper. Next thing I know I'm assigned a group of students and asked to oversee the project. I did the calculations and design myself and gave a couple of lectures to them on all the theoretical aspects of it and oversaw the construction and tutored them on various aspects of the system. The students really got into it and did an excellent job.

Just be forewarned and parking can be a bit of a hassle.

post-566-1250569934_thumb.jpg post-566-1250569940_thumb.jpg post-566-1250569924_thumb.jpg

It is great to see so many girls in the photo unlike in Australia where there are so few girls doing real science or engineering.

Our previous batch of PHD students at the lab, females out numbered the males. Even now, I would say it's at least 50-50 females/males at the lab in BS/MS/PhD programs.

Looks like the best time to come for most of the activities is in the morning before lunch, at least today it started thinning out around 1:00PM. Lots of food and drink available, some is free. Bit of a carnival atmosphere and you can pull up a piece of grass and have a picnic. :D

Of course if you don't like crowds, loud noises and kids it may not be for you. :)