Hutch Mobile Usb Internet

2008bangkok

Hi does anybody have any experience of using Hutch USB dongle, is it fast enough for skype calls on the move?

I use Hutch Huawei EC226 EVDO usb modem (see my post aprox 12 august in this sub forum).

Download speed last week 500-1500kbps (normally around 800kbps).

Upload 80-110kbps. Ping Latency around 500ms.

I live in a poor signal area according to Hutch coverage map in Pattaya.

Still happy to get 4-7 times faster download speed, than using mobile as modem.

Online 24/7 and no problem, no disconnect so far. But slow sat and sundays (2-10pm) +-300kbps.

I not use skype, so can not comment on that.

The con about Hutch Evdo is the limited coverage areas.

Take your laptop to Hutch shop, they give you test before buy. If you live in a poor coverage area, they do home visit to test before buy too.

Great service :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey PS3 how did you manage to get such good sppeds, i have got a Hutch USB stick and the maxmimum it advertises is 136kb second in BKK!

You'll have the regular CDMA 1X modem which a maximim speed of 144 kbps.

Hutch has upgraded in some selected area's (Bangkok and Pattaya) to the CDMA EV-DO system, which if you have the proper USB modem allows theoretical maximum download speed of 2.4 Mbps. Practically you'll get between 500 and 1500 kbps...

My personal experience from hutch is that it is complete garbage in my area. It does of course depend on many factors, not just signal and coverage but also how many people are using their hutch phones (not just for data but voice calls too) within your cell while you are trying to use it.

You may be able to make skype calls as less than 64k is required for a VoIP call but it may not be consistent as uplink speeds are often ignored. If you have no other choice then go ahead and give it a try. I found that mine worked reasonably well up country but bad in my local area in Samut Prakan.

I was hoping that the GSM operators would roll out 3G to give us more options but so far only True are providing this service and it is still early days so 3G coverage is patchy.

It is shameful really when you consider that Countries like the Philippines and SriLanka had 3G service long ago and have gone beyond this to HSDPA and HSPA and Thailand doesn't have any reliable mobile data service.

I had Hutch MBI max speed of 153 for over 3 years. Started in Pattaya and then moved to Rayong area. System worked great for me but do not count on Skype type calling. They said at one time that the EVDO system would be available in all the Hutch areas but that never happened and now is only available in BKK and Patters. EVDO works well also but as stated its subject to how close/far from the cell site and how much traffic is on the system voice calls as well.

Hey PS3 how did you manage to get such good sppeds, i have got a Hutch USB stick and the maxmimum it advertises is 136kb second in BKK!

Hutch has upgraded in some selected area's (Bangkok and Pattaya) to the CDMA EV-DO system, which if you have the proper USB modem allows theoretical maximum download speed of 2.4 Mbps. Practically you'll get between 500 and 1500 kbps...

how do they charge and what packages are available ?

particularly, if you want to get hold of such a new sophisticated CDMA-Modem-stick....

particularly, if you want to get hold of such a new sophisticated CDMA-Modem-stick....

Not sure of the current promotion, good friend of mine paid 16,000 Baht for the new modem and 1 full year of unlimited internet access.

The EV-DO modems are rather expensive, I think that normally their unlimited internet package itself costs around 1000 Baht per month.

You'll have to pop into their office, as usual nothing is mentioned on their website, not even the slightest hint that they might have EV-DO! Only the standard MBI 1X (153 kbps) is mentioned...

Not sure of the current promotion, good friend of mine paid 16,000 Baht for the new modem and 1 full year of unlimited internet access.

The EV-DO modems are rather expensive, I think that normally their unlimited internet package itself costs around 1000 Baht per month.

You'll have to pop into their office, as usual nothing is mentioned on their website, not even the slightest hint that they might have EV-DO! Only the standard MBI 1X (153 kbps) is mentioned...

Monty is that straight up about the EV-DO as im gonna be really really pissed if im paying 1000bh per month for dog shit when they have something better...i really need toget VOIP

Ok an update for you guys..this ec 226 modem..

Iv just spoke to Hutch and they have said that they are testing it in certain areas of bangkok and if a customer knows about it and its on their soi then they will offer it but they dont advertise it..

they are hoping to roll it out in bankok end of the year for everybody..

In my case they dont have it but they have it on a small sub soi up the road so i wil have to make do with dog <deleted>