Cat Bite

lol, just as finished writing this the dam_n cat has bite my thai friend that just come round

Rabies by a cat is possible when it has contact with animal that has rabies. A bat maybe. Give a call to the vet and ask if there is rabies on Samui. When yes, it's maybe better go to the hospital and ask the vet to euthanise the cat. But when it is a streetcat its also possible he/she doesn't like you! You gived him/her milk. Don't do that again. Milk is not OK for a cat, just water.

Hope the cat loves you when you give some meat, but have love from a streetcat, takes time.

Ah dam_n. Not what I wanted to hear.

Okay so take this stray cat vet and he/she can tell if cat has rabies that way I don't have to bother with vaccinne etc..? Sounds cheap and simple, and logical

Is the vet open today? Where is it?

Im in playleam/choeng-mon

A couple of ahead of time indicants could be found once your feline is yawling aloud and knocking into any object your cat looks at. Deficiency of overall coordination is as well a ahead of time cat rabies symptom in which you have to take action on.

Great... I wish i didnt google it now. Cat doesnt stop yawling and it brushes itself against any object chair, feet, etc.. (but I'm thinking that it could just be flees and its scratching itself)

Edited by mattcodes

A few years ago I was bitten by an Alsatian in a resort in Chaweng beach. Although not bad, it drew blood and a very large bruise. I managed to track the owner and finally he coughed up the money for the jabs. From what I remember, it was not cheap and there was a course of about 5 or 6. That was a while ago though. I got mine done at the hospital in Chaweng, name escapes me.

It sounds like the cat needs putting down, attacked 2 in as many hours? The cats eratic behaviour would certainly concern me, and personally, I think you should take the injection course.

Just been bitten by a cat, washed it, is there any risk of rabies?

Cat is a stray, has taken to sleeping on my porch the past few weeks, cries like a baby all day so took some milk out early thinking it hungry and dam_n thing bite my ankle.

Your only sensible course of action is to get to a hopital NOW and have the first of five injections - you have already left it rather late. They will cost about B700 each plus B300 for the initial doctor's fee. They are quite painless unlike in the past. The fact that the cat has bitten at all is a strong indicator of rabies and that it has bitten twice makes it nearly certain.

Just been bitten by a cat, washed it, is there any risk of rabies?

Cat is a stray, has taken to sleeping on my porch the past few weeks, cries like a baby all day so took some milk out early thinking it hungry and dam_n thing bite my ankle.

Your only sensible course of action is to get to a hopital NOW and have the first of five injections - you have already left it rather late. They will cost about B700 each plus B300 for the initial doctor's fee. They are quite painless unlike in the past. The fact that the cat has bitten at all is a strong indicator of rabies and that it has bitten twice makes it nearly certain.

Namphonny,

Yikes. What hospital do you recommend? Im in Choeng Mon area. I read that cats bite for all sorts of reasons, playing, hunger, affection etc.. I can't barely see it now. I guess I'll have to go...

Edited by mattcodes

The same thing happened to my Thai neighbour's boy about 10 days ago, his usually very friendly cat just attacked him viciously... there was blood everywhere... He was rushed to the hospital in Nanthon & given the first of five sets of shots.... every two days... He's fine now... & so is the cat.

I posted a few days ago, there are two. Cat & Dog Rescue Centres on Samui (one in Chawang, see the post for the address ) they will check & inject if necessary, stray dogs and cats for free (or donation!)

In the past I have been bitten by a cat, not with Rabies, but I did get a nasty infection days later, that needed treatment... so do get it checked out!

The outcome. Went to Thai Inter by Tesco (what a dirty filthy hospital, those metal grills at the end of the beds in Emergency are covered in more crap than a BBQ that hasnt been cleaned for years) and told them had small cat bite, nurse asked about tetinius (spelling no good btw) but didnt mention rabies. Doctor came and suggest rabies vacinne ($$$), total cost 1505 baht, all done within 20 minutes, have to go for 4 more injections, they cost about 900 baht each, so near 5,000 baht all in (if I follow the course). Im sure the nurses were like "what a paranoid falang w*****"

Went to see some thai friends in Chaweng later and they were pissing themselves laughing at the thought of paying that amount for a small cat bite (and show me some of their recent ones), and talked to few people (falang) and they said no reported rabies on the island for years so not to worry, especially with it being a cat and not a dog. Anyway, what's done is done, thanks for the advice, but I cant help feeling that I've let myself speculate far beyond any reasonable probability.

In a nutshell though for those that have had a concerning bite and come across this post via google, on Samui you're looking at about 5,000 baht all in (i.e. 1st visit plus 4 more for top-ups injections), walk in explain in broken english, in and out in 20 minutues and a little reminder card with VERORAB on it, Im sure most hospitals are pretty much same same.

A friend of mine has offered to lend to me her cat box, so I figure tomorrow I'll talk it the vet and get it checked anyway since it doesnt seem to want to leave my porch, if it the unlikely outcome then I'll guess I'll pay to have it put down, if not then I figure pay for it be cleaned of flees and neutred and then at least I hope it wont be crying all day.

Edited by mattcodes

The outcome. Went to Thai Inter by Tesco (what a dirty filthy hospital, those metal grills at the end of the beds in Emergency are covered in more crap than a BBQ that hasnt been cleaned for years) and told them had small cat bite, nurse asked about tetinius (spelling no good btw) but didnt mention rabies. Doctor came and suggest rabies vacinne ($$$), total cost 1505 baht, all done within 20 minutes, have to go for 4 more injections, they cost about 900 baht each, so near 5,000 baht all in (if I follow the course). Im sure the nurses were like "what a paranoid falang w*****"

Went to see some thai friends in Chaweng later and they were pissing themselves laughing at the thought of paying that amount for a small cat bite (and show me some of their recent ones), and talked to few people (falang) and they said no reported rabies on the island for years so not to worry, especially with it being a cat and not a dog. Anyway, what's done is done, thanks for the advice, but I cant help feeling that I've let myself speculate far beyond any reasonable probability.

In a nutshell though for those that have had a concerning bite and come across this post via google, on Samui you're looking at about 5,000 baht all in (i.e. 1st visit plus 4 more for top-ups injections), walk in explain in broken english, in and out in 20 minutues and a little reminder card with VERORAB on it, Im sure most hospitals are pretty much same same.

A friend of mine has offered to lend to me her cat box, so I figure tomorrow I'll talk it the vet and get it checked anyway since it doesnt seem to want to leave my porch, if it the unlikely outcome then I'll guess I'll pay to have it put down, if not then I figure pay for it be cleaned of flees and neutred and then at least I hope it wont be crying all day.

OMG dont get it put down, I'm sure there must be other ways round it!!!!

Its worth knowing that more than 50% of all unexplained deaths that go for post mortem in Thailland are found to have been caused by rabies. It sounds a tad expensive compared to Bangkok but I would say that it is definitely worth it for the peace of mind.

As far as I know, the only tests that a vet can perform to check that the animal has rabies is by an examination of its brain which involves cutting its head off. The only other way is to keep it under observation for two weeks which you could do yourself anyway. If it transpires that the animal is probably not rabid then you could skip the last two injections which are not that important anyway, but I still maintain that it is better safe than sorry.

In my 20 plus years in Thailand I have had the series of rabies shots twice. What people do not realize is that rabies can remain dormant in your body for years before you have any symptoms. Once symptoms show, you have been given a death sentence as there is nothing that can be done.

I know of too many people dying of rabies through not taking warm blooded animal bites seriously. You can even get rabies from cat scratches.

Once you have had all the shots you will be okay and if bitten in the next few years you will not need another set. If I recall correctly, the vaccine lasts for or five years.

It is worth knowing that more than 50% of all unexplained deaths that go for post mortem in Thailland are found to have been caused by rabies

With respect, do you have a source for this statistic? It seems a tad excessive for this century.

Edited by mattcodes

It is worth knowing that more than 50% of all unexplained deaths that go for post mortem in Thailland are found to have been caused by rabies

With respect, do you have a source for this statistic? It seems a tad excessive for this century.

The statistic was from memory and I agree that it was unwise to quote it without a reference. It was in the Bangkok Post and some time ago so, as you say, it could possibly be using figures from the last century. However, my point was not about numbers but that the figures referred to post mortems, indicating that it is not always possible to diagnose rabies.

In my 20 odd years here I have had three encounters with rabid animals and on each occasion needed the course of injections. In one instance, our cat was attacked by a rabid dog and severely bitten about the head. Because the wounds were very close to the brain, it developed rabies quickly and died. It did not bite or scratch me but because it had licked my skin as I tried to feed it, the vet insisted that injections were necessary.