New Netscape Is Improved Firefox

cdnvic

Netscape's non-corporate development

Netscape was the gold standard for browsers in the '90s, and now it's climbing back to the top on the shoulders of Mozilla. Recent versions of Netscape were based on the Mozilla browser, and the new Netscape 8.0 is a fancy version of Mozilla Firefox.

In case you're wondering how all this works, Netscape, which is owned by AOL, is an investor in the Mozilla project. In return, it gets to build its browsers based on the Mozilla code. This arrangement works well for Mozilla developers, giving them the resources to write good code with no corporate strings attached. Netscape also wins, as it wraps some corporate extras around Mozilla's efforts, resulting in what is essentially a heavier version of Firefox.

This arrangement demonstrates how true innovation may best occur outside a corporate environment. I can't help but wonder about this kind of application in other industries. For example, what if car companies funded independent labs that didn't have to think about things like demographics? Our cars would probably have the handling of a Ferrari and get the mileage of a Toyota Prius. That's an arrangement I could live with.

Wayne Cunningham

Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

http://ct.cnet.com.com/clicks?c=77061-5520...brand=cnet&ds=5

Netscape's non-corporate development

Netscape was the gold standard for browsers in the '90s, and now it's climbing back to the top on the shoulders of Mozilla. Recent versions of Netscape were based on the Mozilla browser, and the new Netscape 8.0 is a fancy version of Mozilla Firefox.

In case you're wondering how all this works, Netscape, which is owned by AOL, is an investor in the Mozilla project. In return, it gets to build its browsers based on the Mozilla code. This arrangement works well for Mozilla developers, giving them the resources to write good code with no corporate strings attached. Netscape also wins, as it wraps some corporate extras around Mozilla's efforts, resulting in what is essentially a heavier version of Firefox.

This arrangement demonstrates how true innovation may best occur outside a corporate environment. I can't help but wonder about this kind of application in other industries. For example, what if car companies funded independent labs that didn't have to think about things like demographics? Our cars would probably have the handling of a Ferrari and get the mileage of a Toyota Prius. That's an arrangement I could live with.

Wayne Cunningham

Senior Editor, CNET Download.com

http://ct.cnet.com.com/clicks?c=77061-5520...brand=cnet&ds=5

Yeah yeah , grasping at straws again.

Funny how all the user problems related to the display of this board are always in firefox. didn't have one complaint with a Ie browser for two years now.

Netscape, Is that a grocery store in california now ?? :o

You want a browser that takes 4 times longer to download the same HTML?

Choose IE.

You want a browser that has far too many security holes to mention?

Choose IE

You want a browser that doesnt completely conform to W3 standards?

Choose IE

Upto you!

Choose IE.

Choose IE

Choose IE

Upto you!

Well it's still 95% of the world used browsers.

So i guess it's a standard :o

Choose IE.

Choose IE

Choose IE

Upto you!

Hate to admit it, but it's also what browser I have in mind when developing. No point getting clients' to change from what is usually their default just for the one web app...

Choose IE.

Choose IE

Choose IE

Upto you!

Hate to admit it, but it's also what browser I have in mind when developing. No point getting clients' to change from what is usually their default just for the one web app...

indeed insight , when your weblogs show that 95 % is IE and 85% are MS operating systems, it's a clear decision.

You cater for the market that's out there when designing a website , not that small special niche called "firefox" browsers.

Please note that 80% of internet users are almost computer illiterate and don't even understand the difference between them.

They know how to use it and that is as far as it goes.

the only thing i would IE have is Tabbed browsing, but that's about it. i'm sure it will come along in IE 7 someday.

By the way i don't care about the flaws in security of your browsers.

I'm a Network Security consultant, It gives me work......

:D

Reminds me of an argument I always raise when our pedantic I-T M-a-n-a-g-e-r starts harping on about removing all IM clients from machines because of "possible" security flaws. My response - "well we better start scrubbing IE off then while we're at it"

End of debate.

Edit: I can't believe that word's still censored! :o

Edited by Insight

:D

Reminds me of an argument I always raise when our pedantic I-T M-a-n-a-g-e-r starts harping on about removing all IM clients from machines because of "possible" security flaws. My response - "well we better start scrubbing IE off then while we're at it"

End of debate.

Edit: I can't believe that word's still censored! :o

Think it's hardcoded by now :D:D

As they say here in the bank.

from a senior Consultant "The more difficult we make it , the more they need us to manage it" :D

Choose IE.

Choose IE

Choose IE

Upto you!

So i guess it's a standard :D

hi'

not anymore .. :o

less than 95% and it's getting down, main cause: firefox, mozilla and still netscape.

btw, I use netscape since version2 and still satistied, login with netscape 7.2 :D

version 8 is still in beta release :D still some bugs ... but nice look :D

and no joke IE is SLOW!!

even with adsl :D

indeed insight , when your weblogs show that 95 % is IE and 85% are MS operating systems, it's a clear decision.

and this is a non-sens, how can 15% of non-windows users can use a windows application?

considering the open-source users, are around 7%, using anything else but IE,

and what about mac users?

there is a twist in the numbers here :D

95+7 make 102 :D

and may I add. there is no pride to be number one when you oblige people to use your own program!

I always say to my customers to use another one, any other one ...

(install it and configure it for them, and let them decide which one they prefer)

and use IE only if absolutly needed :D

francois

Edited by francois

the only thing i would IE have is Tabbed browsing, but that's about it. i'm sure it will come along in IE 7 someday.

Check out IE at the M$ website - you can easlily instal tabbed browsing.

I use Maxthon which runs on the IE engine, but with tabs, pop-up control etc... and is not subject to the security issues vanilla IE has. Has some nice skins too, and you can still access and use all the regular IE settings without having to learn afresh. Maxthon also has a comprehensive battery of additional settings. And it does not chew up RAM like firefox (although that can be adjusted in firefox if you know what you are doing.)

Maxthon is the best browser I ever ran by far.

I always say to my customers to use another one, any other one ...

(install it and configure it for them, and let them decide which one they prefer)

That's the same what MS does he francois :o

Pre configure it, Install it , and give it to the user :D.

I'm sure 80 - 90 % of users worldwide don't give a hoot which browser they use. As long as they can surf the web it's ok for them. they only use "type in url" window, Back , Home, Forward buttons. that's it.

Like i said , i don't want Ms to be perfect :D i'd be out of a job :D

Netscape 8 version better? I used to use 7.2 but it was rather buggy and often shutdown on its own - performed illegal operation error.

Yeah but that's becaus eth OS is bad he britt :D

I laughed my ass off a few weeks ago. In the bank were i work i'm a member of the windows system department and i sit right next to the Unix(solaris) system department.

A few weeks ago this nice looking girlie comes in to the office ands sits herself down right accross me. Turned out she was an external solaris consultant coming to setup some server. So the guy from the unix department comes over and says " i have a new laptop for you to work on , but do you mind it's a linux one?"

She says: "No cause i think linux is a lot better then microsoft" so the unix guy smiles and gives her the laptop.

A few minutes she calls the guy back over and says " my CD-rom doesn't seem to be connected"

So they end up standing around with 3 unix guy's for 45 minutes and them saying things like

"maybe you could try this....."

" hmmm doesn't work "

"well maybe it's that command....."

"Hmm doesn't work also...."

They finally gave up and put the CD in the server itself :o

:D:D:D

It's sure a GReat OS linux

:D:D:D

Sorry still tears running from my eyes when i recall it :D

Microsoft depends on many people doing exactly what alot of posters have been promoting here, taking the easiest way out. Using what most others are using. Give that attitude long enough and MS will be able to tell you what to do and what you can view.

MS didn't create a monopoly, it was given to them.

My websites are built for mozilla. The work in IE but don't look as pretty. :o If that costs me traffic its too bad. Independant thinking viewers are a higher value hit for me anyway.

cv

Microsoft depends on many people doing exactly what alot of posters have been promoting here, taking the easiest way out. Using what most others are using. Give that attitude long enough and MS will be able to tell you what to do and what you can view.
Just like The car industry, or Coca cola, or Macdonalds , or governements around the world..

Think taking the easy route is human nature :D

Microsoft never forced me into anything , i liked their way of thinking.

I would rather click a few times then type a 250 characters command line to get my cd-rom working :D

MS didn't create a monopoly, it was given to them.

True but linux, netscape, Mac, OS2, Novell, they lost the market share already :D. Every year i hear that they are going to beat MS in this and that , bla bla , been hearing that for the last 7 years now :o

The truth is that you can't beat them anymore be it just for the finacial aspect. Just like you can't get a soda brand to take over the place of Coca Cola. you can fill niches in markets but you can't take over anymore. Once it should become popular Coca-cola will simply buy it :D, their just that big of a company now :D

By goes the competition.

screaming that it shouldn't be so won't help. It's called globelization. It's what the world's biz model is coming to. It will get worse :D

Most users just like conveniance, they don't care if it's MS or something else, they just want what everyone got (just a little bigger) so they have a broad support base (ask a friend, who knows computers or post your question on TV.com :D )

and a working system.

A question

Would you build a house in the "Open source" model ?

Well i wouldn't :D

an untested brick from there , one door in wood another in plastic, all fixed with untested code from someone else ???

maybe MS is not the best architect in the world but at least you've got one :D

hi'

screaming that it shouldn't be so won't help. It's called globelization. It's what the world's biz model is coming to. It will get worse

something similar to a bad SF movie ... soon choose your camp, be M$ or resist and turn underground to avoid checks :o

there are as many OS as there are types of user ...

everybody talk about Linux, Unix, Solaris and what about BSD?

and the so many that got down on the way ...

I like some and I have no real preference, I just like one well configured and working all the time the same smooth way as it is now :D

the "old little war" between win users ans linux users is kinda boring, but some still like to go on with numbers ans statistics always in favour of the favourite of the race, no surprise, just business normality, it's only numbers, and who cares?

may bg sleep better when he's sure that the world use his stuffs :D

from what I'm used to see, yes 90% people use M$ just for one reason ...

it's on the computer they buy ... :D

90% don't know a thing about computers.

my own advice after years of linux console ... leave it to geeks :D

or to server admin ...

it's fun, and you learn a lot, but it's not done for domestic use even with all the efforts the community has done recently.

and like dark mention, it's not this bad, give me some job :D

francois

Edited by francois

maybe MS is not the best architect in the world but at least you've got one :o

I'm sure as he11 glad MS is NOT the architect that built my house.... The architect that wont show you the plans. Designs and builds the house with out thinking about security. i come home one day and all my stuff is gone because they forgot to put any locks on the doors and WINDOWS....