Best High Tea In Chaing Mai

Toosetinmyways

Sorry but have not been in Chiang Mai for a long time now, but my wife craves a really good high tea.

Her particular favourite is scones with raspberry jam and cream. Last time in Chiang Mai we tried all the five star hotels but although the scones were ok and the cream was available, nobody had raspberry jam. If she brought her own jar of jam, would the hotel object or apply a corkage charge?

Also I would love a REAL English breakfast. You guys know exactly what I mean. A real beef or pork sausage not a Thai CP rossette.

baked beans, back bacon, grilled tomato, mushrooms, eggs fried to perfection.

Thanks in advance.

PS

Have read the Mad Dog posts but the ambience does not sound exactly what I am looking for.

And before anyone thinks this is a wind up, all of the above are available in all the 2+ star hotels in Hau Hin.

OK the corkage is a wind up. Sorry Kevin.

Well just for starters it is Hua Hin.

You need to decide whether it's a good English breakfast that you are after or ambience to suit the missus. You can't have it both ways :)

I suggest you leave her to have a bite in the hotel while you go down to the Mad Dog where you won't get a better breakie in CM.

On the high tea I can't really offer much advice other than taking a detour to Raffles if a high tea is what your missus is really craving for :D

And I have had scones in CM but I have never had any that you couldn't have been used in building a new wall or foundations for a high rise building.

And if someone suggest the UN Irish Pub as having edible scones then they haven't eaten many scones that's all I can say. Nuff said.

But then they may have got their shyt right.

Edited by PeaceBlondie
EVERYWHERE ON THAI VISA, NO NEED TO REPOST AN OP early in a thread!! USE FAST REPLY button further down!!. Thank you. PeaceBlondie

There was a great restaurant with "high tea" and "scones with rasberry jam and cream" near the river and a big condo a few years ago. It went out of business very quickly, but nice food. - lots of old fashioned English food. Does anyone remember the name?

Edited by Ulysses G.

There was a great restaurant with "high tea" and "scones with rasberry jam and cream" near the river and a big condo a few years ago. It went out of business very quickly, but nice food. - lots of old fashioned English food. Does anyone remember the name?

UG are thinking about the 'Elizabethan Room'??

UG are thinking about the 'Elizabethan Room'?? ...didnt last long did it ...shame

Re High Tea....are we talking "Tea" that is usually taken at 6-00pm (as the sun goes down )

or afternoon tea which one partakes at ..usually ...4-00pm...gorra gerit right..right... :D

can always discuss pinkers and tiffin ...later....certainly before dinner and supper :)

I have heard of one place promoting their high teas. The Puripunn hotel. I have not been there, but they are a 4 star hotel and have high teas every day apparently. No mention of scones, though they have a bunch of other appetising looking things served in very pleasant looking surroundings.

A photo of some of the food here. (see more pics in their photo gallery) http://www.puripunn.com/

Quote from their web site:

Traditional High Tea is served daily from 15:00 to 17.30 hours in an elegant setting reminiscent of those formerly found in the majestic homes of Lanna Thai nobility (Reservation is recommended.)
Edited by whimsy

For the High Tea have you tried the coffee shop at the Oriental Dhara Dhevi?

Had forgotten about this place but I think that it is about the one place where the OP might get what he or his missus seem to be looking for (but not for the breakfast)

Of course it doesn't have the ambience of the Mad Dog but ? :)

Also did a quick google of "high tea" but didn't go throught all 43,400,000 of the pages on the subject but I would suggest that the OP doesn't really know himself what he is looking for. Or if he knows what he is looking for he has not explained himself clearly "in respect of the high tea"

Here is one excerpt ....

HIGH TEA (The traditional 6 o'clock tea)

The British working population did not have Afternoon Tea. They had a meal about midday, and a meal after work, between five and seven o'clock. This meal was called 'high tea' or just 'tea'.

(Today, most people refer to the evening meal as dinner or supper.)

Traditionally eaten early evening, High tea was a substantial meal that combined delicious sweet foods, such as scones, cakes, buns or tea breads, with tempting savouries, such as cheese on toast, toasted crumpets, cold meats and pickles or poached eggs on toast.

Edited by john b good

Sorry but have not been in Chiang Mai for a long time now, but my wife craves a really good high tea.

Her particular favourite is scones with raspberry jam and cream. Last time in Chiang Mai we tried all the five star hotels but although the scones were ok and the cream was available, nobody had raspberry jam. If she brought her own jar of jam, would the hotel object or apply a corkage charge?

Also I would love a REAL English breakfast. You guys know exactly what I mean. A real beef or pork sausage not a Thai CP rossette.

baked beans, back bacon, grilled tomato, mushrooms, eggs fried to perfection.

Thanks in advance.

PS

Have read the Mad Dog posts but the ambience does not sound exactly what I am looking for.

And before anyone thinks this is a wind up, all of the above are available in all the 2+ star hotels in Hau Hin.

OK the corkage is a wind up. Sorry Kevin.

just as a matter of interest, where in the uk do you come from.

Just off the subject a bit could never beat a cup of tea an a scone (pumpkin) at the CWA (Country Women's Association) while traveling around Queensland Australia. Sadly they are becoming a thing of the past but still a few around.

Just getting back to the subject the tea house mentioned in Ta Pae Rd is just past the night bazaar street heading towards the gate. Doesn't look much from the front.

Cup a tea and a bun luv!!!

This may fit the bill:

http://www.ramingtea.com/eng_tea_house.php

A beautiful building along Tha Pae Road that's ideal for colonial high tea

Probably the only place in Chiangmai that fits the OP's criteria, it has everything. If you have had high tea at Raffles, or on the terrace of the Oriental in Bangkok, you will not feel uncomfortable in this beautiful old establishment.

This may fit the bill:

Probably the only place in Chiangmai that fits the OP's criteria, it has everything. If you have had high tea at Raffles, or on the terrace of the Oriental in Bangkok, you will not feel uncomfortable in this beautiful old establishment.

The Chedi does its best but falls a little short. Also there is a pink building a little south of Comdara on the river. Wife and I gave it a try when it just opened. Custard tea sandwitches-yum yum? :)

Yes, I miss it. :)

Yes, I miss it. :D

me to :)

terrible location, silly idea but excellent food I never did get to try the scones though

This may fit the bill:

I was going to mention this place but my recommendations would have been based on pictures I saw of it in one of the free magazines, looked like it had a nice garden area as well.

Only after Rama 6 visited London and observed how civilized people ate did Thais start using forks and spoons at the dining table.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Loaded,

I believe what's left of your brain needs oxygen immediately. However, if you are just practicing confabulation, mai phen rai, for what is history if not a canvas for us to spatter with our fantasies ?

best, ~o:37;